Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Giant MCM SE Is it worth it?

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Stratomaster10 
#1 ·
Hello...This is my first post here on MTBR. I was hoping someone could help me out as I am A novist. For sale is A 1999-2000 Giant MCM SE. (Hardtail) I understand this may be A good buy only if there is nothing wrong with the frame (cracks, etc...) It is Carbon Fiber Team Edition, XT and XTR components, Judy SL fork, Magura Disc (hydraulic), Time Carbon clipless, and Rat Traps.
The seller is including A couple extra sets of clipless pedals, (don't know what kind), A full box of tools, floor pump, helmet, and A couple other odds and ends. He says it is built for XC racing.
The seller is aking $600.00 non neg.
I am new to riding, don't know much about bikes, but I do know that I want A hardtail.
Is this A good/decent deal (if there are no issues with frame, components, etc..)
Thanks for helping me out

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would pass. 600$ for a 10 year old bike that MSRP'd for ~ 1800$ is too much.

The brakes may need a bleed, the fork may need servicing, etc. And if you don't know how to do all this the cost can add up quickly (although bleeds/general maintenance is relatively easy once you learn).

Very hard to detect small cracks in carbon, especially of you don't know where to look (close to, underneath clamping surfaces, BB and tube junction areas). Although same said for almost any material. But I'd be wary of carbon frames of which I didn't know the riding history.

A new XTC2 (nice racing hardtail frame) MSRP's for ~850$ US, should be able to get it for lower.

The recreational bikes (boulder, rincon) go for even less.

*edit* I just found the original add........he stated "could also be used for commuting or free riding. $700 obo. Price is very negotiable"

I would definitely not use that bike for free riding. But if the price is "very negotiable", I'd offer 300$.....maybe.

*edit#2*

I'm assuming that you're on the winston-salem CL. There's a nice 2007 caffine for sale

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/bik/1076659648.html

I'd offer him 600$ for that and go from there (of course, only if it fits).

#5 ·
Definately a decent deal

$600 for a complete carbon fiber bike with Magura hydraulic disc brakes with XT & XTR components?! This is a decent deal and about right for its age. The new all aluminum XTC frames do not compare with that MCM frame. That frame is a 3lb masterpiece that still is a super racer. Truth about used bikes that most don't get used as much as their owners intended when they purchased. Take a look at the entire bike, all the individual parts, and its condition. That will tell you if it has been abused or has an unacceptable amount of wear. XC bikes usually fair better than trail or all mountain bikes. You could always have the local bike shop take a look at it for free! Other than a few outdated parts, the parts are still on par or better than you would find on a current $870 bike for sure.

Oh that frame was fitted on a $3000 bike. This should be the one:
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/bike-hardtail/giant/1999-mcm-team/PRD_350060_96crx.aspx

#7 ·
Thanks for the replys. I am supposed to go check it out next week, and he's already said $600 is bottom on it, but if the frame is ok, and no component issues-I'll try to get him to come off some more on the price. I am new to this sport, and you all are very nice, helpful people. Thanks

#9 ·
No, I didn't. I met him at a shopping mall, and I thought the bike was nice, It was well used, but the fork and everything seemed OK., and very light. I was surprised at the weight. He came down to $500.00, I told him I would get back to him in A few days, and then LOST HIS PHONE NUMBER! The bike is not on Craig's list anymore, so......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.