mtbr member
    May 2004

Giant Maintainence

What do i need to do with the Giant Rainier, regarding maintainence? And also i fiddled with the shocks and let out some air, and it was too loose. I dont know how to fill them back up. Do i fill them up with a normal bike pump or do i need something, like an adaptor or something?

bi-winning

Ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultomato
    What do i need to do with the Giant Rainier, regarding maintainence? And also i fiddled with the shocks and let out some air, and it was too loose. I dont know how to fill them back up. Do i fill them up with a normal bike pump or do i need something, like an adaptor or something?
    you will need a low pressure shock pump to put air back into your fork. you can pick one up at the lbs for not too much $$$. As for maintenance, your first priority should be your drivetrain ----> clean and lube.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    you will need a low pressure shock pump to put air back into your fork. you can pick one up at the lbs for not too much $$$. As for maintenance, your first priority should be your drivetrain ----> clean and lube.
    any maintainence for my fork? my rainier is a 2002 model, and was wondering if my fork was suitable for some jumps, urban riding, etc...

also, like i said before, i fiddled around with the shock. The air pressure in my bike should be, so it has the max travel, but doesnt bottom out right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think what you mean is "high" pressure pump

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Most typical tire pumps can't go much above 90psi. In many cases, rear shocks require pressures in the range of the rider's weight. Unless you are a real light weight you will need a stronger pump. Shock pumps run $20 to $30 dollars and go to 200 psi.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    Most typical tire pumps can't go much above 90psi. In many cases, rear shocks require pressures in the range of the rider's weight. Unless you are a real light weight you will need a stronger pump. Shock pumps run $20 to $30 dollars and go to 200 psi.

i weigh like 110-120 pounds, dont worry, im only 15>

what tools are needed to clean the chain and stuff.
    A rag, some lube after u clean it, what else?

do i have to do any maintainence for my fork? my rainier is a 2002 model, and was wondering if my fork was suitable for some jumps, urban riding, etc...

also, like i said before, i fiddled around with the shock. The air pressure in my bike should be, so it has the max travel, but doesnt bottom out right?
    Last edited by Ultomato; 05-21-2004 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

do i have to do any maintainence for my fork? my rainier is a 2002 model, and was wondering if my fork was suitable for some jumps, urban riding, etc...

They make chain cleaning tools but a rag...maybe a toothbrush if it's real dirty, is fine. You can clean it with mineral spirits.

Shocks are set up by sag. You put a ziptie (some shocks have an oring) around the shock tube and then sit on the bike. Get back off and look how much the oring moved when the bike sagged. Typically you want 10-20mm of sag. This sets it up to get decent travel without bottoming.

Just realized you were talking about the forks, since Ranier's don't have rear suspensions.

Fork sag is set similarly...usually to a smaller amount of sag than the rear shock. You should be able to get plenty of pressure in that EXR with a tire pump. Forks run lower pressures than do rear shocks. In fact, my son has an EXR on his Avalanche and I think I'm only running about 25psi in the legs...he weighs about what you do.

Check out the manual on Marz's website. They recommend 30-45psi for rider weight of 120-155lbs.

http://www.marzocchi.com/system/7962/2004-Taiwan-en.pdf

By the way, one of the reasons to use a shock pump is because it is real tricky to add air with a regular tire pump. The air volume in shocks is very small and when you release the pump or try to measure the air pressure with a guage you have a tendancy to lose all the pressure you just put in.

Danny

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think ill get a shock pump cuz my bike pump head does not fit, and it doesnt have a PSI guage

[paste title here]

About after every ride I clean my entire drivetrain. I have a Sram chain so taking it apart isnt hard at all. I fill up a bottle with half simple green and water and just shake the it up. It gets it really clean. Now when the Cassette is really dirty, I take it out and dump it in a bucket with more simple green. I take a tooth brush and start removing all the crud and junk in it. I let it dry in a towel and about the next day (depends if Im lazy or not) I put everything back on. I havent had any problems with my chain or cassette; both are running very smoothly. Although I did get some rust on the chain, but that happens most of the time. If you dont have much time, getting the dust or dirt off the drivetrain is good enough. Just make sure you lube the chain
    Keep Pedaling

XC rider/racer

Rust

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    . Although I did get some rust on the chain, but that happens most of the time.
    If you have an air compressor, give the chain a good blast with compressed air after cleaning to get rid of any water droplets and remaining muck, this`ll help to prevent rust.
    Cheers

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    If you have an air compressor, give the chain a good blast with compressed air after cleaning to get rid of any water droplets and remaining muck, this`ll help to prevent rust.
    Cheers
    Thanks I'll do that from now on. I think I was sun drying the parts before I found out that it will cause rust.
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ok, i was fiddling with the front disc brake adjusters, since the disc was rubbing against the pad, and the big knob locked up, and the small knob still works. The problem is that the big knob locked up at a place where my disc doesnt fit in. am i screwed or should i just take it to lbs?