mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Giant maestro and shimano plus/ sram type 2

Hi
    What works better on Maestro shimano plus or sram type 2.
    I thinking about changing from 9 to 10sp
    I found lots of bad info about sram type 2 on VPP systems
    I have reign 2 2011

Sorry for bad english

Your Best Friend
    VPP suspension is the only dual short link design that I could actually feel the chain tug on the pedals as I was coasting over rough terrain. I am assuming this is what caused the issue with the type 2 derailleurs. I haven't felt any issues on the Trance models I've ridden with one of those derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm running the Shadow Plus on my 2011 Trance with no problems. Love how the chain noise went down after installing it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Haven't tried either myself, but I see giant is supplying SRAM type 2 derailleurs on the 2014 anthems, I'd think either will work the same thou.

davidcarson48
    Shadow Plus on an Anthem. No issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I run shadow + on my 2012 Anthem X 29er without any issues.

May contain nuts
    Been a SRAM fan for many years but I'm replacing the Type 2 with a Shadow+. Don't like the break-away clunk or the extra shifter load (SRAM always was heavier than Shimano, but the 1:1 ratio made up for it. Type 2 is just that much more heavy that it becomes a nuisance).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    from diffrent topic:

after 3 weeks of setup and tuning I’ve finally given up on the X9 type 2. Hopefully I can outline the problems below and help you punters to make a better informed decision. 1) The return spring in the parallelogram linkage is weak to compensate for the clutch making shifting heavier. This means the derailleur will bounce down against the cable tension and drop gears. 2) On a VVP suspension design like my Reign, there is constant chain growth as the suspension works. This means the derailleur clutch is inhibiting small bump compliance and placing extra load on the hanger by trying to prevent chain growth. 3) On a bumpy trail the clutch will be constantly breaking tension to allow slack for chain growth. This in turn causes the driveline to flap around on the weak parallelogram spring and drop gears all over the show. On top of this, the installation instructions are vauge and simplistic – In reality there are a lot of tricks for getting the type 2 setup – correct chain length and precise B screw adjustment to name a few. However when you’re constantly dropping gears on a bumpy trail, or much less, skipping gears dropping off small kerbs the marketing shine diminishes to a brown smear. In conclusion, it just doesn’t work as advertised – It probably works great on a hard tail, or zero grow suspension design – I feel disappointed that I was totally sucked into the Sram marketing machine. After you see all the Sram sponsored launches and glowing magazine reviews its hard not to. But ultimately I feel like I’ve been mislead by a half baked product that has failed to deliver on its premise."

Your Best Friend
    Is this from you? If so...

Quote Originally Posted by amun View Post
    from diffrent topic:
    2) On a VVP suspension design like my Reign.
    What is "VVP" suspension? Did you mean VPP? The Reign does not use and never has used VPP.

I do agree with many of your other points but you lose credibility by not knowing what you are talking about with the basic principle of your bikes suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    it not my text, only copy :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You could keep you existing RD and fit one of these instead: Bionicon USA C-Guide Chainguide

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Is this from you? If so...

What is "VVP" suspension? Did you mean VPP? The Reign does not use and never has used VPP.

I do agree with many of your other points but you lose credibility by not knowing what you are talking about with the basic principle of your bikes suspension.
    I think that quoted post by amun is right on the button... Maestro has a quite lot of chain growth and I've experienced the same ghost shifting, constant clutch clunking over rough ground that it talks about with Type 2 mech that was never an issue with the old clutchless mech.

It's probably not as much of an issue on short travel bikes like your Anthem...