mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Giant Iguana, what do you think?

Just wondering what everyone thought of the Iguana Disc, also wondering why when i went on holiday to Hong Kong it had completely different stock components (and better components) for a cheaper price ($340)

mtbr member

Iguana Disc - Not bad at $340

$340 is a good price for it (but if you get it in HK there would be a huge expense in getting it to the states, wouldn't there?) I assume you mean the '04.... stay away from the '03! Many inferior parts on the '03 but (like the '04) a good bike for the money.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by psmithm
    $340 is a good price for it (but if you get it in HK there would be a huge expense in getting it to the states, wouldn't there?) I assume you mean the '04.... stay away from the '03! Many inferior parts on the '03 but (like the '04) a good bike for the money.
    Inferior parts on the 03 Iguana?

Which ones in particular?

I am a little prejudiced against the 04 Iguana since I found out it is not the same frame as it was last year. This yearís frame is closer to that of the Yukon except for the integrated headset. They only recently offered the RS Pilot C with mech discs instead of the Manitou Six.

mtbr member
    The '03 stock tires (an OEM version of the Hutchinson Mosquito) got terrible reviews. I owned a Giant Iguana Disc ('03) but had to to return it after one ride -- the crank arm was completely stripped where the pedals screw in. The pedals were pretty crappy as I remember too. Also, the web site specs say that the front derailleur is Alivio but it's really Acera (a step down) and the chainring is 42 teeth (spec says 44)... that's what I remember, I only owned it a week! BUT... I could have replaced the crank, front dearailleur and pedals for a few bucks (and the tires) and had a decent bike... you just have to factor those costs into the buy/nobuy decision. I bought an Iguana in 1991 so I am partial to them. The 2004 has some nice component upgrades over the 2003.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Strange that you got one with an Acera front derailleur and Mosquito tires. The pedals are at least average for a sub-$600 bike and my son's 03 Iguana came with the Alivio derailleur and Scorpion tires and the crank wasn't wasn't stripped where the pedal connects. Sounds like your LBS may have had assembly issues rather than the cranks being crap. And I still like the frame on the 03 better than the 04.

I was prepared to dislike the Scorpion tires and replaced them on both bikes I got for the kids this past summer, but after taking a week's test ride on the UST version on an 04 VT1 I must admit that they were actually very good. I had no issues with the UST version and will try the tube version one day soon.

The only thing tempting on the 04 over the 03 is now they have the disc version with the Pilot C fork. Other than that I still prefer the 03. JMHO and you're certainly entitled to yours.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think the LBS that assemled it tightened the pedals too tight or mis-threaded them, but the crank sure didn't hold up under the resulting adverse conditions. I was willing to keep the bike with an upgraded crank but then the whole Acera\Alivio controversy arose. The guy from Performance said he verified with Giant that the web site specs are wrong...but then you did get an Alivio... weird. Anyway I guess my issue was more with the store than the bike.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Many bike companies (or someone along the way) sometimes make substitutions on parts specs. I have seen it a lot on things like wheelsets, tires, stems, brake levers, etc. I have seen the same model and year bikes sitting next to each other with different wheelsets, so itís not even variations between batches. Makes you wonder whatís going on when they package these things.

Not much you can do other than to go over your new bike before it leaves the showroom and check off each part to make sure it is the same (or better - hehehe) as what they said you were getting.