mtbr member
    May 2004

Giant Iguana fork question

I'm ready to buy a mountain bike, haven't had one for almost five years. I've done my research and for the money, I think the Giant Iguana is the best buy and I like the local shop that carries them. My only question is about the shocks. In the Giant catalog, the Iguana is pictured with a Rock Shocks Pilot C shock. The store has them equiped with Manitou Six shocks. Is one any better than the other?

Thanks!

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004

I can only speak to the Pilot C...

cause it's what I have. I've no experience with the Manitou. All I can say is that the Pilot C is not very plush and really only takes care of the really hard hits. I've messed with the preload constantly and finally just left it alone.

Having said that I really love the bike. It is quick and light and has taken quite a beating with no fuss other than a couple of flats which can be expected. I have the stock Alex rims and they demand quite a bit of truing but I can live with that for now. The BB became loose after about the first month but I tightened it and have had no further issues. I did recently change out the seatpost to a Thompson elite(recommended ) and may soon change out the stem. It is a great buy IMO.

Dave ><>

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjimenez1
    I'm ready to buy a mountain bike, haven't had one for almost five years. I've done my research and for the money, I think the Giant Iguana is the best buy and I like the local shop that carries them. My only question is about the shocks. In the Giant catalog, the Iguana is pictured with a Rock Shocks Pilot C shock. The store has them equiped with Manitou Six shocks. Is one any better than the other?

Thanks!
    I prefer the Pilot over the Manitou mainly because the Manitou six is a shock for a person under 160 LBS. I have had many customers dislike the six due to it sinks way down when the bike is sat on if you are over the 160lbs. All the 04 Giant Iguanas are spec'ed with the Pilot for that reason. The one you are looking at is a last year spring edition Iguana.