mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Giant hardtail frames....what's the differences?

What are the differences between these various Giant hardtail frames?

XTC
    Talon
    Revel
    ATX
    Yukon XC

Honestly, they all seem to look the same to me geometry wise.

Just the alum alloy and 26" frames for these discussions.

mtbr member
    Geometry - which is to say angles - tend to be "basically" the same on many of the similar frames, but things like chain stay length are a little different. Also, take the Revel (low end), Talon (mid level) and XTC (top end) and there's likely some weight difference in the frames even though they basically seem the same. Add to that fact that the components available on each when purchased as a complete bike reflect the levels I indicated, and there's a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Geometry - which is to say angles - tend to be "basically" the same on many of the similar frames, but things like chain stay length are a little different. Also, take the Revel (low end), Talon (mid level) and XTC (top end) and there's likely some weight difference in the frames even though they basically seem the same. Add to that fact that the components available on each when purchased as a complete bike reflect the levels I indicated, and there's a huge difference.
    Thanks for the first very insightful post. Regardless of the stock components, what would be the hierarchy of the given Giant frames? And are they all XC?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The XTC has the tapered head tube 1/1/8 to 1.5 the Talon does not. the rev is even a lower end bike. The XTC is a very nimble XC bike, I can't say for the rest but I own a XTC and love it.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY