Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008

Giant going Obsolete???

I was speaking to some one at the LBS who told me that Giant's once soaring reputation has dwindled and there technology isn't keeping up with competitors. I questioned his opinions about the company and called up another LBS whose been a successful shop with the area who carried Giant for years but they told me they lost there rep. with the co. and are no longer carrying them. After a few more calls asking for Giant supplier, it appears that not too many suppliers in my area (inland Southern California) carry the Giant 08 lineup. Is the co. really lossing its base as a competitor or are they just having a bad year???

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    sounds like ********, Giant has the best parts to price ratio i have ever seen

keep the shiny side up!
    giants rep to the socal terrritory passed away. he was a long time employee, but i doubt the company is gonna die with him. did you check the giant website for dealers near you?

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Maybe in your area but as a generalisation, no from all evidence. Their technology is well up with competitors and exceeds almost all of them in some aspects, reviews will show this and how good the bikes are. However in all fairness, I’ve got one dealer who swears Giant is dead this year and one who’s having better than average sales, they are both top dealers and although I don’t see how their sales can be dead this year I’m sure he’s telling the truth. Those are the 2 main shops near me, there are several others but they are as you may have noticed, well out numbered by Trek, Specialized (you can’t turn a headset for Spesh stores) and also out numbered by Cannondale Stores.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Homeslice, Im not sure which part of inlan socal your referring to, Im in the San Gabriel valley area and came name numerous lbs that carries a wide range of Giant models. To name some of the lbs. Wheelworld (west la), Incycle, Imartins etc...These shops all have a web presence, so check em out. I frequent these lbs and they tell me how popular the new 08 models are.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Perhaps it's just LBS politics running ramped. Some praise and non praise for Giant. One dealer dropped Giant's 08 lineup for and bragged about Haro. Nothing special from what I'm seeing.

mtbr member
    interesting. i spoke with the manager of my LBS that carries Giant just yesterday. he said giant is holding back 2008 due to shipping and production costs. states that they are waiting to sell stuff at 09 prices and that all their bikes will increase 10-20%.

mtbr member
    i spoke with the manager of my LBS that carries Giant just yesterday. he said giant is holding back 2008 due to shipping and production costs. states that they are waiting to sell stuff at 09 prices and that all their bikes will increase 10-20%.
    I dont think this is just affecting Giant, due to increase in oil prices . This will drive prices on all consumer goods. So i wont be surprise if all the 09 models from different manufacturers will be priced higher compared to previous years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    All prices for bikes next year are going to go up. From what I understand Giant has been doing really well this year and for some models the stock is low because of such good sales. Giant is not going away, you also must remember they make tons of money by making competitors frames, that is why Giants are usually priced so well in relation to other companies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Exactly. All companies that have to ship their bikes are looking at 10-30% price increases. In fact, other companies, such as Trek and Specialized, may be looking at more of a price increase than Giant, since Giant makes many of their bikes to begin with. Those companies that make their bikes in the U.S. using U.S. metals and tubing probably won't have as much of a price increase as those made in Taiwan, but there aren't many of those companies left. Giant is still the world's #1 seller of quality bikes, so I don't think they are becoming obsolete. Some shops will say whatever they can to sound good, and a shop that doesn't carry Giant may not want to say anything good about a competitor. If you have any questions about Giant's technology, test ride one of their bikes. Especially one with Maestro.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Trek’s already increased prices for 08 on a lot of their bikes, 15% on some of them. Be like someone pissing in your corn flakes if they had to do it again for 09.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I bet they do again in '09. Maybe not another 15%, but I bet there's another increase.

mtbr member
    My LBS carries Specialized and Giant. Lately they have been selling MORE Giants and LESS Specialized. They said they can't keep Maestro suspension bikes in stock. So bottom line, I think that's a false rumor and no realtion to what's going on in the bike market.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Even if Giant stopped making their own bikes, they would be making big $$$ from making other bikes for other companies.

I can't think of a single other company that puts as much technology into their frames. When you consider they are better built than frames costing nearly 2 times as much, it's amazing they aren't the leader in bike sales. I think Santa Cruz and Secialized are on top of numbers of sales for MTB.

mtbr member
    too bad there are far less Giant dealers close to me than Spesh.

Giant product > Spesh product
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't think Giant has ever had a stellar reputation among bike snobs (me included until I rode a TCR advanced and was sold...) - but they make killer frames and aren't going anywhere.

mtbr member
    Actually after reading your post I was more than a little naffed. But then I thought you may just be haveing a laugh...another Giant hater with as much BG-info as a noob lollygaging with his rad new entry level welgo bike...? But I find that your assumptions (because that is what they are without facts and lets face your getting your info from where and which source) more than hilarious when compared to every other brand out there. For you to believe this would be tantamount to idiocy...if you have any synapses firing away up there you would know that this is very much far from the truth.

But if you want to lay some disinformation out...nice try.

But hey, let’s look at many other brands and compare shall we...hhhmmm, where to begin...? Gosh...trek, canondale....where and which would be a good start...? There are MANY other people on here more in the know than me who also know the difference between Sh!t and Mud....so which are you riding in...? Now maybe if you had inside marketing numbers, profit margins etc etc etc...which would strain credulity, I might lend an ear to your froth-sweeping assumptions and insinuating innuendo. But as its stands I just cant get down to your level of comprehention...?[/COLOR]

But you have balls making that kind of uneducatated statement though...so kudos for trying to get a slice of the action Your not a Trek wrench monkey are you...?

Quote Originally Posted by homeslice
    I was speaking to some one at the LBS who told me that Giant's once soaring reputation has dwindled and there technology isn't keeping up with competitors. I questioned his opinions about the company and called up another LBS whose been a successful shop with the area who carried Giant for years but they told me they lost there rep. with the co. and are no longer carrying them. After a few more calls asking for Giant supplier, it appears that not too many suppliers in my area (inland Southern California) carry the Giant 08 lineup. Is the co. really lossing its base as a competitor or are they just having a bad year???

Edit: Something seriously wrong with the smilies...? To many.
    Last edited by Sim2u; 06-21-2008 at 04:33 AM.

mtbr member
    +1....

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24
    Exactly. All companies that have to ship their bikes are looking at 10-30% price increases. In fact, other companies, such as Trek and Specialized, may be looking at more of a price increase than Giant, since Giant makes many of their bikes to begin with. Those companies that make their bikes in the U.S. using U.S. metals and tubing probably won't have as much of a price increase as those made in Taiwan, but there aren't many of those companies left. Giant is still the world's #1 seller of quality bikes, so I don't think they are becoming obsolete. Some shops will say whatever they can to sound good, and a shop that doesn't carry Giant may not want to say anything good about a competitor. If you have any questions about Giant's technology, test ride one of their bikes. Especially one with Maestro.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008

You're a waste of time Sim...

Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Actually after reading your post I was more than a little naffed. But then I thought you may just be haveing a laugh...another Giant hater with as much BG-info as a noob lollygaging with his rad new entry level welgo bike...?

But I find that your assumptions (because that is what they are without facts and lets face your getting your info from where and which source) more than hilarious when compared to every other brand out there. For you to believe this would be tantamount to idiocy...if you have any synapses firing away up there you would know that this is very much far from the truth.fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    But if you want to lay some disinformation out...nice try. >>
    >>
    But hey, let’s look at many other brands and compare shall we...hhhmmm, where to begin...? Gosh...trek, canondale....where and which would be a good start...? There are MANY other people on here more in the know than me who also know the difference between Sh!t and Mud....so which are you riding in...? Now maybe if you had inside marketing numbers, profit margins etc etc etc...which would strain credulity, I might lend an ear to your froth-sweeping assumptions and insinuating innuendo. But as its stands I just cant get down to your level of comprehention...?

But you have balls making that kind of uneducatated statement though...so kudos for trying to get a slice of the action Your not a Trek wrench monkey are you...?
    That's was a wasted 2 minutes you wrote. Read my original post again (as any child with a low reading comprehension should) and you will see that I wasn't stating any facts but assumptions and asking for opinions. Your post clearly shows the same lack of experience with bikes since you couldn't even post anything relevent to the subject. I spoke with dealers, folks who work in the industry and they mentioned that Giant seems to have taken a tumble on there lineup this year and doesn't have the marketing success it had a few years ago, perhaps that's every companys prob. right now so I threw out a post to get others insight. So why don't you take you're bu!!**** and elementary school education somewhere else Mr. Comprehention And loose the bike avatar, it isn't fooling anyone.

Yah I got balls and you know where to put em little Simmy.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Take cover!
    [/SIZE]

Fired Up, Here We Go
    I don't know about you guys, but Giant are having a stellar run in Australia. They're running out of high end 08s during the last month.

And don't get me started on frame quality, I just bought an 08 Scott Scale 40 frame, and I still think the 08 XTC frame I bought from the LBS at half the price of the scale craps all over it.

Btw, I race on a Scott Spark, so I'm not a Giant patriot per se.
    Australian Defence Cycling Club - Team ARMY

mtbr member
    Is the co. really lossing its base as a competitor or are they just having a bad year???
    Eh, more info needed.

It's fairly presumptuous for you to come up with these two scenarios based on a few (objective?) contacts you made in one very small part of the US. So Cal is even smaller when you consider that Giant is an international company. Do you have any more info to back up these two options?

Or maybe you should add this third option - ". . . or am I jumping to conclusions?"

With MTBs and road bikes, Giant has a great, expansive line-up, great frames, and always receives positive reviews in all the mags I read. I'd be very surprised if they were going obsolete.

Ant
    Last edited by antonio; 06-12-2008 at 12:25 PM.

2 minutes turkish
    In socal the shops have been spoiled in the last few years by guys willing to drop big coin on smaller built 'boutique' bikes. Ellsworth, turner etc.

Hang in there, people aren't buying bikes on their home line anymore and the will adjust and get back to their bread and butter which are the big three (giant, spec, trek)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfist
    In socal the shops have been spoiled in the last few years by guys willing to drop big coin on smaller built 'boutique' bikes. Ellsworth, turner etc.

Hang in there, people aren't buying bikes on their home line anymore and the will adjust and get back to their bread and butter which are the big three (giant, spec, trek)

within this big 3,giant produce something that is value for money,specialized for designs what about trek?

mtbr member
    Its on....

This is going to be fun...

Actually it was only about 30/40 secs really (which explains the HF typos) and it was a slight backwash to get your response, which was a great 40sec really...and it was fun reading yours...thanks for the entertainment! Hooked....

Back in later...to reply when I have had less coffee and sugar cruising through the system.

But am I fake...sorry son Im not. Its SOOOO easy to trace my IP address so do so and see where I am mate. Better yet PM and we can have a nice little chat about that, ill even give you the phone since you love doing telemarket chating.

That's was a wasted 2 minutes you wrote. Read my original post again (as any child with a low reading comprehension should) and you will see that I wasn't stating any facts but assumptions and asking for opinions. Your post clearly shows the same lack of experience with bikes since you couldn't even post anything relevent to the subject. I spoke with dealers, folks who work in the industry and they mentioned that Giant seems to have taken a tumble on there lineup this year and doesn't have the marketing success it had a few years ago, perhaps that's every companys prob. right now so I threw out a post to get others insight. So why don't you take you're bu!!**** and elementary school education somewhere else Mr. Comprehention And loose the bike avatar, it isn't fooling anyone.

Yah I got balls and you know where to put em little Simmy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast