mtbr member

giant fx xo upgrade

sup peeps?

it looks like my yukon fx is getting an xo rear derailleur, new chain, new x.9 shifters and a new used cassette.

wrench recommends new crank but will do at a later date

it sounds cool as some one posted here that i din't need to mess with the front derailler.

the same guy recommended l.x. (shimano, rear derailleur), my guy wanted to upgrade to shimano 9 speed

but for now i am getting x.o rear and x.9 shifers

it looks like a square deal as last seaon he upgraded another giant of mine (ocr-3) he did a fine job

both ocr-3 and yukon fx are entry level bikes, luckily with a few upgrades their suitable for goverrnment rides

here's the fx before any upgrades

mtbr member
    'Sup yo,

Looks like money well spent
    Ride More

mtbr member
    Why?

mtbr member

$?$?$?$?$?$?$?

Why?
    Well for one, i am in apt. and don't have room for 10 bikes, so for me its worth upgrading.

With the SRAM XO deraileur, i read a bunch of the reviews (here), 1/2 say its great, the other 1/2 say its busts quick. In reality, the mechanic says "forget about the weight", of the fx, so putting the XO might not be the best idea, but i think he had one he wanted to onload.

Hopefully, i keep the bike a few years, then get another white and black mtb, wife won't really know the difference, until she sees them side by side? oops.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I have to agree with fixbikeguy, why? Haven't you ever heard about putting lipstick on a pig? You'd be better off saving your money, selling that bike and buying a new black and white bike. There is so little point in upgrading that bike. Ride it til it dies, then get an Anthem X or a Trance X, which will have good parts on it anyway and be 3x the bike that is. Don't waste money on upgrading that thing. You'll never get it back out of it because of the frame it's riding on.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Get the X-9 mech, cheaper, stronger. Only difference is the carbon cage and one extra jockey wheel has sealed bearings.
    I also think the money would be better spent on a new bike. Not sure where you're from, but I always liken it to kids doing up crap cars like Novas and Corsas, yes, it may have all top end kit on there, but at the end of the day, you could buy a much better car for the same money. At the end of the day, it's still a Nova underneath, it's never going to be a Ferrari no matter how much money you throw at it.

I also appreciate it is your decision and buying a new bike is a big outlay. I would personally ride it till something breaks, then upgrade. If it is a colour thing, then you could get a really nice respray on a new bike for the price of that rear mech!

mtbr member

happy as a pig in $h#t

i see the point about dumping money in to a bike, that's just not worth upgrading

so for $360, my xd reaer d.r., new chain, new cluster x.9 & x.7 shifters and new handlebar stem & grip; is surely money pissed away, yet forking over $5600 for a 2009 anthem xo, is easier said then done

if i remain insane, i'll let him change the crank, and build the mavic wheel set for the mavic wheels he's trying to unload, yes, the wheels can be used on another bike, so the replacing the crank is truly a waste?

my last mtb a circa 1980's raleigh glacier (probably one of the first raleighs to be made in china, yet not unlike the quaLITY OF ITS english racer predessor), that mtb cost about what i forked over to upgrade the fx, and all the glacier ever got was new handle bar grip and inverted knobby tires

some how my wife agrees with this forum, when i got home last night she said "where you new bike", as the money the tax man gave me must have made its way for yet another bike, and he did have a nice 7 speed bike for what i'd spend upgrading the p.o.s. fx

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I totally understand where you're coming from on wanting to upgrade. It's called the "-itis" My point isn't that upgrading is a bad idea though. My point is what you're upgrading. It doesn't have any of the "suspension technology" the other bikes within the Giant line offer. It's not Maestro, which is fine, unless you buy into the hype that Maestro is straight from the hand of God. It's marketed as a cheap, full suspension bike. If I'm not mistaken, the only shock that will fit in it is the one that comes stuck in the frame already, which, sorry to say, sucks. You don't have to go out and drop $5600 on a new Anthem XO, but you could go get the Anthem X3 for less than $2000 and upgrade the hell out of it and make it as good or better than the XO. It's gonna cost more to do it that way, but with the X3, you're still going to have a better bike than the FX. By that I mean you're going to have a better frame, a different, sometimes better, geometry and a lot better shock that can be swapped out later if desired.

If you like your FX and want to upgrade, by all means, do it. We're not makin your paycheck, so we can't tell you how to spend it. We can make suggestions and offer up advice based on past experiences though. It's almost always cheaper to buy a nice bike and not have to upgrade than it is to buy something cheap and upgrade later. I mean, you're already talking about dropping ~$400 into a bike that cost you ~$1100, when you could have bought the Anthem X3 for ~$1800. Which is better? I'd go with the Anthem, but that's me, you may be different.

mtbr member

anthem of the sun

you're right about the upgrading, but its not like i can deduct the $700 from the cost of the anthem, so now i spent $1,000 for what i can't get $400 for...

unfortunately, i already bought like 6 bikes this year, and am still stuck in same apt. for 10 years so i am not so smart...

hopefully i get some use out of my fx this holliday week-end.

thanks for the feedback

yukon fx in montreal, on recent vacation, quickly became my bike of choice when i got it last august, taken for more rides, then my giant ocr-3 and carbon trek 5900

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003
    I totally understand where you're coming from on wanting to upgrade. It's called the "-itis" My point isn't that upgrading is a bad idea though. My point is what you're upgrading. It doesn't have any of the "suspension technology" the other bikes within the Giant line offer. It's not Maestro, which is fine, unless you buy into the hype that Maestro is straight from the hand of God. It's marketed as a cheap, full suspension bike. If I'm not mistaken, the only shock that will fit in it is the one that comes stuck in the frame already, which, sorry to say, sucks. You don't have to go out and drop $5600 on a new Anthem XO, but you could go get the Anthem X3 for less than $2000 and upgrade the hell out of it and make it as good or better than the XO. It's gonna cost more to do it that way, but with the X3, you're still going to have a better bike than the FX. By that I mean you're going to have a better frame, a different, sometimes better, geometry and a lot better shock that can be swapped out later if desired.

If you like your FX and want to upgrade, by all means, do it. We're not makin your paycheck, so we can't tell you how to spend it. We can make suggestions and offer up advice based on past experiences though. It's almost always cheaper to buy a nice bike and not have to upgrade than it is to buy something cheap and upgrade later. I mean, you're already talking about dropping ~$400 into a bike that cost you ~$1100, when you could have bought the Anthem X3 for ~$1800. Which is better? I'd go with the Anthem, but that's me, you may be different.

Got to agree, although I'm a hypocrite. I purchased a Yukon SX a while ago and upgraded a few pieces, but I had a plan (of sorts)...having read a number of positive reviews, the bike was purchased at near cost price, and I already owned the majority of upgrade components, so the overall build cost was minimal. I managed to carve around 1.25 kilos off the bike...but no, it will never be an Anthem or a Trance, but I don't ever expect it to be.
    It still weighs around 1.5 kilos more than an Anthem or Trance, but it cost me around half the (current) price of the base models of either range. Taking that into consideration along with my modest abilities (I enjoy XC, but I really do suck at it!), I consider it money well spent, considering the amount of time spent on the bike and the pleasure derived.

If you have the means & ability for something better, by all means work towards that. But if your needs are modest, start low and trade up as you go, that way the tools you use will match the skills you have. Putting lipstick on a pig could end up an unpleasant experience.
    [SIZE="3"]"The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    i am on the fence about new crank, bb and wheel set for the already upgrade fx, i think i put enough dough in it for now

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    .. you could have bought a trance for the money you put into a yukon..