Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666

    Giant Frame Stickers...

    Anyone knows if I can get any Giant frame stickers for my Warp... at least, the ones that said "GIANT".

    I'm thinking on repainting my frame. I'd like powdercoated but I need to find a shop that makes it, which is kinda difficult.

    I might take the easy route and just get it painted at a auto body shop or something with automotive paint (base+clearcoat).

    I wouldn't like it to loose the Giant identity.

    Thanks for any insight.
    Check my Site

  2. #2
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Anyone knows if I can get any Giant frame stickers for my Warp... at least, the ones that said "GIANT".

    I'm thinking on repainting my frame. I'd like powdercoated but I need to find a shop that makes it, which is kinda difficult.

    I might take the easy route and just get it painted at a auto body shop or something with automotive paint (base+clearcoat).

    I wouldn't like it to loose the Giant identity.

    Thanks for any insight.
    When you're ready let me know and if you can point me to a jpeg of what you're looking at I can create the vector graphics a sign shop will need to make the stickers for you. If you can't find a sign shop that'll do it I could get them done for you. What colours were you thinking of for the bike?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  3. #3
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by granny.gear
    Auto shop would definately be better than Giants "Diamond Shield".

    What color(s) were you thinking? Any graphics? Finished pic's please.

    BTW I'm looking for Manitou Black fork stickers....
    Well... Diamond Shield of 2003 was quite good... not the same I can't tell from 2004. Paint on Warps is thick... but the clearcoat of the Diamond Shield gets scratched way too easily. It was not the case of my 2003.

    Colors?? White.

    I loved my white DS1 2003. Maybe some Navy blue accents. White is cute on bikes. Black gives too much of a problem for repainting. It reveals the defects too easily, especially with clearcoats.

    Red start to look "old" really quick sometimes.

    I'll post pics when I get started/done. It's a rather long term project.
    Check my Site

  4. #4
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Well... Diamond Shield of 2003 was quite good... not the same I can't tell from 2004. Paint on Warps is thick... but the clearcoat of the Diamond Shield gets scratched way too easily. It was not the case of my 2003.

    Colors?? White.

    I loved my white DS1 2003. Maybe some Navy blue accents. White is cute on bikes. Black gives too much of a problem for repainting. It reveals the defects too easily, especially with clearcoats.

    Red start to look "old" really quick sometimes.

    I'll post pics when I get started/done. It's a rather long term project.
    Well GIANTs paint jobs these days (at least on my Trance) suck salt, the paint is uber thin. On the colour scheme you shouldn't rule out Silver, I really do like it on my Trance (minus the crappy graphics, which at 1st didn't annoy me) and my friend has a Turner Burner in silver and it looks sweet too. I actually like the Euro Trance3's with their silver paint and silver graphics.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  5. #5
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    When you're ready let me know and if you can point me to a jpeg of what you're looking at I can create the vector graphics a sign shop will need to make the stickers for you. If you can't find a sign shop that'll do it I could get them done for you. What colours were you thinking of for the bike?
    THX Lynx!!!

    I'll let you know. I have a pal here at the office who runs a sign shop. I'll ask if he can do so.

    I'm looking basically, as said above, white with some color accents... not sure about the design though. Accents I would like them on navy, silver or plain black.

    I loved the finishes on the '05 AC line. Pure and simple, yet nice looking. Maybe just a "Warp" logo in hollow-thin-lined letters here and there with the "Giant" logo in bold ones.

    I was thinking about a plain black vynil sticker on the "belly" of the downtube... you know, scratch protection.
    Check my Site

  6. #6
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by granny.gear
    Weren't the AC's polished graphics 'masked out'? That might be an option Warp?
    Why not??? Great Idea!!!
    Check my Site

  7. #7
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,436
    Quote Originally Posted by granny.gear
    Yeah, the Silver Trance 3 from France looks uber duber! How do they do the graphics?
    Well if it's like the US versions they paint the frame silver than paint on the graphics in a slightly lighter/darker silver and then clear coat it - not my ideal wish , better to paint and clear and then put the decals on, HOWEVER a true "paint person" will tell you that everything should go on under the clear coat. If I can ever find out about the warranty issue of re-painting my Trance frame I'd just do it in silver with the graphics done in outlined reflective white/grey like how I did my REBA.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  8. #8
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Well if it's like the US versions they paint the frame silver than paint on the graphics in a slightly lighter/darker silver and then clear coat it - not my ideal wish , better to paint and clear and then put the decals on, HOWEVER a true "paint person" will tell you that everything should go on under the clear coat. If I can ever find out about the warranty issue of re-painting my Trance frame I'd just do it in silver with the graphics done in outlined reflective white/grey like how I did my REBA.

    Ok... you were begging for it... POST PICS!!!
    Check my Site

  9. #9
    MBAA!
    Reputation: en are es's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    292
    Consider a white/silver metallic color-shifting paint. From one angle, it would be white. From another, silver. It would be gorgeous! With black and dark silver accents!

    Clear coat should go over the paint.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

  10. #10
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    Consider a white/silver metallic color-shifting paint. From one angle, it would be white. From another, silver. It would be gorgeous! With black and dark silver accents!

    Clear coat should go over the paint.
    Any paint system that could make that?? Sounds ubercool!!
    Check my Site

  11. #11
    MBAA!
    Reputation: en are es's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    292
    Cars use it often. Its probably quite a few bucks, but if you had the money the finished product would be well worth it.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Anyone knows if I can get any Giant frame stickers for my Warp... at least, the ones that said "GIANT".

    I'm thinking on repainting my frame. I'd like powdercoated but I need to find a shop that makes it, which is kinda difficult.

    I might take the easy route and just get it painted at a auto body shop or something with automotive paint (base+clearcoat).

    I wouldn't like it to loose the Giant identity.

    Thanks for any insight.
    They're not really "stickers" as such, they're called "water transfers" and are applied at the factory, under the clearcoat. Giant can't get you any, and they're a real pain in the arse to put on anyway, and need to be clearcoated over...

    BN

  13. #13
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeNerd2453
    They're not really "stickers" as such, they're called "water transfers" and are applied at the factory, under the clearcoat. Giant can't get you any, and they're a real pain in the arse to put on anyway, and need to be clearcoated over...

    BN
    I knew about the original ones... my repaint is way off from what the original Giant process is... I thought there would be some stickers for when someone would like to repaint his/her bike. Now I know there are not.

    Clearcoat is pretty much into my original idea.

    It's a long term project and I been looking at some two shades lighter/darker paint schemes on a given color... kind of semi-stealth look, rather than striking.

    I might give it a fast forward to the project as I've been listening to some creaks while going deep and slow into travel of the frame and it seems to come from the middle of the frame... no paint craks or hairlines fortunately... I'm keeping an eye on it. Maybe stripping the paint off soon might be a good thing so I can inspect the frame.

    I was thinking about something like this....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warp; 12-05-2005 at 05:19 PM.
    Check my Site

  14. #14
    MBAA!
    Reputation: en are es's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    I knew about the original ones... my repaint is way off from what the original Giant process is... I thought there would be some stickers for when someone would like to repaint his/her bike. Now I know there are not.

    Clearcoat is pretty much into my original idea.

    It's a long term project and I been looking at some two shades lighter/darker paint schemes on a given color... kind of semi-stealth look, rather than striking.

    I might give it a fast forward to the project as I've been listening to some creaks while going deep and slow into travel of the frame and it seems to come from the middle of the frame... no paint craks or hairlines fortunately... I'm keeping an eye on it. Maybe stripping the paint off soon might be a good thing so I can inspect the frame.

    I was thinking about something like this....
    I like that image, seems to raise off the screen. Would look great on a bike!
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •