mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Giant Discs - Rubbing after removing wheel

Hi,

I have a 2008 Giant Terrago, i've had the bike around two weeks and have only used it for occasional light short commutes on-road so far.

I bought some Slime puncture resistant tyre liners and promtly installed them, however after putting the front wheel back on, the disc seems to be rubbing on the outer pad. The same seems to be happening on the rear disc, athhough this is rubbing on the inner pad.
    This is my first bike with discs, so i'm a little inexperienced.

The front wheel seems to line up fine until I close the QR lever. which then pulls the disc into the outer pad. I've tried a few things including holding the brake lever to close the brake until the QR lever has been tightened, but to no avail. I've had a look at the Giant instruction Manual but its useless. I could take it back to the shop, but if its something wrong i'm doing, I'd rather know before I waste their time.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Try different amounts of "tightness" on the quick release.

mtbr member
    What is happening, is that the wheel is being re-installed at a different angle than it was when the bike was initially set up and the brakes adjusted. Either you aren't getting the wheels installed all the way square into the dropouts or they didn't install them all the way into the dropouts before they set up the brakes and the brakes are set for the wheels to be crooked. Try setting the bike upside down on the saddle and handlebars and then install the wheels. If the brakes still rub, take the bike to the shop where you bought it and they should quickly realize their mistake. You should be able to take the wheels in and out without any issues. Good luck.
    Ride More