mtbr member

Is Giant continuing the AC line in '06

I was just on their site and I didn't the AC in the line-up for '06. Of course it also appears that they cut back their line greatly. Could be that they just don't have everything updated on their website but you would think if they were going to be offering the same bikes they would at least have a description of them.

What gives?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RemfRider
    I was just on their site and I didn't the AC in the line-up for '06. Of course it also appears that they cut back their line greatly. Could be that they just don't have everything updated on their website but you would think if they were going to be offering the same bikes they would at least have a description of them.

What gives?
    For 2005 the AC line was cut, and the AC was turned into a budget freeride bike. It was extremely good value, but some of the parts were very poor quality. In Australia, for 2006, they are still offering the 'AC' as a budget bike, i'm unsure about the US and other countries though.

The 'Faith' is the new AC in giant line-up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

AC and Faith

As the owner of a 2003 AC1 and a 2005 Faith 2 (both US spec), I'd say the AC1 is more like a Reign than a Faith. The Faith has 8" of rear travel, and weighs almost 10lb more than the AC1. The Faith has double rings, but climbing is a major chore, as is hauling the bike off the rack or up the stairs. The cockpit on the Faith is super short, and the angles really shallow. The Faith is way more downhill oriented than the AC1.

It depends what you want to do with the bike. If you are looking at downhill and major abusive freeride, go with the Faith, if you are looking at light freeride and heavy duty trail use, go with the Reign.

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    For 2005 the AC line was cut, and the AC was turned into a budget freeride bike. It was extremely good value, but some of the parts were very poor quality. In Australia, for 2006, they are still offering the 'AC' as a budget bike, i'm unsure about the US and other countries though.

The 'Faith' is the new AC in giant line-up.

Just Ride
    They made the 2004 AC1 very nice. I always wanted one, they had some pritty good parts on it. It's pritty sad that they don't make the AC like that anymore. Also why don't Giant make so many AC's like what they used to do. Once they had a AC1, AC2 and a AC3 in one year.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by [bEn]
    They made the 2004 AC1 very nice. I always wanted one, they had some pritty good parts on it. It's pritty sad that they don't make the AC like that anymore. Also why don't Giant make so many AC's like what they used to do. Once they had a AC1, AC2 and a AC3 in one year.
    For 2005, since Giant came out with Maestro, they dropped the AC down to a budget bike. Faith and Reign take the place of AC--one actually dedicated freeride, the other all-mountain/light freeride. So the AC became a budget bike--basically the high end Warp. Not sure what they have done for '06. I know they came out with the Pistol to replace the Warp, don't know if they kept the AC, but without checking, my guess is they dropped it altogether. Why pay Specialized for FSR design when they have come out with Maestro? And single pivot Pistol is good enough for a budget bike.

MBAA!
    Agh! I wrote up a whole thing and it got deleted.

The way I see it, is in '05 the AC was replaced mostly by the Reign. In '06 it was also sort of replaced by the Pistol. The Pistol really replaces the Warp as well as the AC.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    Why pay Specialized for FSR design when they have come out with Maestro?
    What does AC has to do with FSR susp. ??
    Passion beyond reason!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    Agh! I wrote up a whole thing and it got deleted.

The way I see it, is in '05 the AC was replaced mostly by the Reign. In '06 it was also sort of replaced by the Pistol. The Pistol really replaces the Warp as well as the AC.
    We'll see... if we guide by the website, all of the hardtails except for the XtC should be discontinued. Commonly Giant launches the whole new models in autumn and the whole line in early january.

So, maybe there still will be some AC for '06. As a budget bike... but what a budget bike!

'03 was a marvelous year for Giants... you just couldn't beat them for value/price. My '03 Warp DS1 was like a grand and had Avid BB7's, LX RD, 9sp Deore shifters, SRAM cassette and a fork that actually worked as an Axel Super. Nice tires too.

'04 was awful... '05 to be ashamed and gone for '06. Not bad for a bike that lasted like 7 seasons in the catalog.

The AC followed a similar path. It'll be bad so see it go away....
    Check my Site

Members who have read this thread: 0