Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

Giant Contact Switch Seatpost

Hi,

There is someone who own this already?
    What is your opinion about this seatpost? This is V1 I am a little bit afraid to buy it insted of KS i950-r witch is out on the markat "long time".
    ===;----(Sp)----;===

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by spooon
    Hi,

There is someone who own this already?
    What is your opinion about this seatpost? This is V1 I am a little bit afraid to buy it insted of KS i950-r witch is out on the markat "long time".
    Supposed to come out in February of 2011, so nobody's riding it yet (except some "beta" testers or sponsored racers, maybe... ).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome
    Supposed to come out in February of 2011, so nobody's riding it yet (except some "beta" testers or sponsored racers, maybe... ).
    Guys,

Beta testing has gone extremely well on this post.
    We wanted to make sure the product was completely dialed before we made it available to the public.

Look for it in shops by the end of February--I think you'll be impressed with its performance.

TranceX Rider
    Hmmm... Options! Options! Cool! Hope it's priced reasonably! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    It's a Crank Brothers Joplin knock off. The CB version with the lever is slightly lighter and more practical to use, IMHO.
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    It's a Crank Brothers Joplin knock off. The CB version with the lever is slightly lighter and more practical to use, IMHO.
    It is the furthest thing from a CB knock off. Using the above logic, all adjustable posts would be a CB knock off...

Besides, you haven't even seen it yet.
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

TranceX Rider
    Wish they'd also have a couple color selections... I'd like to get a red one though for color accents...

KC Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantBicycle
    Guys,

Beta testing has gone extremely well on this post.
    We wanted to make sure the product was completely dialed before we made it available to the public.

Look for it in shops by the end of February--I think you'll be impressed with its performance.
    Suggested MSRP in US?
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

Currently muddy
    Jul 2008
    According to Bikerumor.com,

"Retail price is expected to be a very reasonable $225."

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/10/22/...-dropper-post/

TranceX Rider
    Awesome!!! Thanks for that info!

But i'd really wish they have a red version! LoL!

TranceX Rider
    Sorry used another post just to update this thread... I may already have seen 'em available here though just the 375mm version.

Thought they should be available around Feb... Hmmm....

mtbr member
    Bad news guys the Switch seatpost has been delayed untill spring 2012
    for more testing and colour options.
    So thats Giant and fox leaving it late !

TranceX Rider
    Eternity of waiting (again)! LoL! Hopefully, that's for the best! Ironing out some kinks...

siv
    mtbr member
    Well that just sucks. Guess its a Kindshock then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    aw c'mon!!!

same here....i950r or Reverb?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have both and the reverb sucks. love my kindshock though.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

TranceX Rider
    I know that sucks but no matter how long I can hold off until the Switch arrives the thought of you guys all shredding the trails & enjoying your adjustable posts is killing me!!! LoL!

Guess, i'd soon be pursuaded to go & get the KS i950r instead!

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    I have both and the reverb sucks.
    Care to elaborate on that?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

TranceX Rider

i950r

Quote Originally Posted by siv
    Well that just sucks. Guess its a Kindshock then.
    Phew! Can no longer wait for next spring! So, bit the bullet ordered a month ago but then i just saw this one few days back:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Prototy...Show-2011.html

LoL! All in all i'm good with my purchase!

Before I was skeptical then got this baby.. wouldn't have anything other than a remote seatpost now!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Earl
    It is the furthest thing from a CB knock off. Using the above logic, all adjustable posts would be a CB knock off...
    Everything would be a GravityDropper knock off.....they got in first, and are still the best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyhocking
    Everything would be a GravityDropper knock off.....they got in first, and are still the best.
    you must have typed that on an Altair 8800.
    Clearly the first is always the best
    The mountains are calling and I must go

Dishwasher Safe
    This is the first one I can recall…

As for the Reverb, I recently purchased one and couldn't be happier. I previously owned an AMP, which worked, but nowhere near as well as the Reverb...

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyhocking View Post
    I agree they are also the easiest to maintain and even if they fail you out in the middle of nowhere (I never heard a story of GD failing) you can always have them stay fully extended and ride home
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Viva la Vida!
    Ok so I got one GIANT contact switch seat-post and after only using it 3 times I am happy with they way it works so far I haven't had any problems and coming from a gravity dropper I do like the infinite adjustment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Incase your seat post did not come with a lever bolt , you can use the bolt from Hayes Stroker .
    Last edited by 08_Yukon hard tail; 04-29-2012 at 08:13 PM.

mtbr member
    About three weeks ago I found a brand new, Giant Contact Switch take-off on eBay. Delivered in original packaging - no issues. After it was mounted I found the same 1-2mm side-to-side play (when you grab the saddle nose and twist) that other reviewers/owners mentioned. After a few local rides and a 4-day St. George trip the Contact Switch is performing great. No additional STS play, BUT what I did notice is a little flexiness (is that word?) in the fore-aft movement (only witnessed at full height). Admittedly, I'm 6'0" and weigh 240 lbs. with gear and water. So my findings might be a little unique to any dropper post durability concerns. This is also my first dropper, so I really don't have any baseline to compare to.

Have others experienced similar things with STS and fore-aft play? It's worth noting that I cannot feel either movement while riding - none. Even if it was noticeable the functionality of the dropper far outweighs the cost. But curious if I should expect more fore-aft play to develop...and if so, has anyone sent to Giant to warranty that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I sent my seatpost back today to my bike shop under warranty as I'm getting about 1/2 inch drop when I sit on the bike. I must have about 5 or 6 rides on it and i got it new for Christmas. It was out of stock so ended up getting it middle of January.

Previous to that there were no major issues although I was annoyed that the box that the seatpost came in says "Anti-twist technology". Coming from the biggest bike maker you would expect the product to be pretty resistant to twisting but mine had play front to back and left to right from new. Not noticeable once riding but, to me, that doesn't appear to be build quality on a product. Also, no mention of how to service or replace components?!

It has been good though but i can see the issues being an ongoing thing as with the majority of other brands. I've still no idea how it appears to be so hard to make a reliable adjustable seatpost that has zero play in it.

Viva la Vida!
    Has anybody else experienced the seat going down when you are hammering and then the post not coming all the way up?
    Have you cut the length of the cable?
    Last edited by Camaleon; 05-18-2012 at 03:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    Has anybody else experience the seat going down when you are hammering and then the post bit coming all the way up?
    Have you cut the length of the cable?
    I shortened the cable during installation. However, i disconnected the cable and the seatpost still dropped when i sat on it.

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey G View Post
    I shortened the cable during installation. However, i disconnected the cable and the seatpost still dropped when i sat on it.
    Well I just replaced the cable and housing for a longer set and then I read your post
    At least now I know that if it still act up this weekend is going back to GIANT.

If you don't mind me asking, when you send yours in do they just replaced and if so is the new one any better?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I only sent it away two days ago. Bike shop are going to send on to Giant to inspect so they say which means i will just have to go back to the original fixed post for now.

mtbr member
    I've had this dropper post since March and I can say I'm pretty happy with it so far, although I don't have any experience to compare since it's my first dropper. I had a few rides where the post wasn't locking on full extension, but found out each time it was a cable issue. I have my on a '06 Reign1 and the cable routing isn't great so if there's a lot of play/movement with the cable it seemed to effect my post. I think I have it figured out and had to modify how the cable curves when fully dropped. Also, I've seen in another thread someone mentioning seeing an occasional black streak on the stanchion. Anyone experience this too? I have a few times but haven't had any performance issues, knock on wood

mtbr member
    Regarding the cable routing-locking issue, I had a similar experience. If there's excess slack in the line (particularly closer to the saddle as opposed to the handlebar) or if the housing that plugs into the top of the seatpost head isn't seated right, you'll experience the non-locking issue.

Re the black streak on the stanchion, yep, I have that too. I read on another post that it's excess grease from the internal cartridge and it eventually thins out and stops leaving the mark. For me, no performance issues though...

As for maintenance, I also share Davey G's frustration. My LBS told me to simply keep the seals and stanchion clean. No lube. On another thread - maybe in regards to the Contact Switch but possibly another dropper - that it's a good idea to open up the cable trigger and cycle the post through a few up&down cycles every few days. (Ideally I'd be riding every few days, but that doesn't always work out!)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response Trojan. I haven't notice the black streak on the stanchion lately so hopefully it's resolved. You hit it exactly on the cable issues effecting lock-out. What I notice his last time was the situation with the end of the cable housing that goes into the top coming out of its seated position. I fixed this by putting a zip tie right below the housing cap and which also keeps the cable snug against the post with no play. Seems to have fixed the problem.
    As for the side to side play, the only time I notice any play is when I'm off the saddle and it moves only a couple mm's at the most. It seems more like the rail clamps don't tighten secure enough and that's where I get play and not so much from the post/stanchion.
    Has anyone tried cutting down the post? I know they say it's not meant to be cut but has anyone tried or know why you shouldn't? Seems to be a little more that an inch before you get to the cartridge.

Viva la Vida!
    So after GIANT replaced or fixed your seat post can you say that the issues improved or after sometime the post started failing again?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    So after GIANT replaced or fixed your seat post can you say that the issues improved or after sometime the post started failing again?
    Since i got it back i've never bothered putting it back on my Trance. It's sitting next to my keyboard as i type this now.

The repair took a few weeks and i was told that the repair wasn't warrantied in anyway. So, if you have one week to go in your warranty and it gets sent away for repair then when it comes back it's completely out of warranty.

I was told that grit and dirt got into a hole on the front face of the unit, just under the nose of the seat face in the black area in between the rails. I was told this after i got the unit back as i'd never heard anything from my LBS or Giant despite me attaching a letter with the post asking for someone to contact me with info on it all and to say it had been received. Also, the tape was already applied.

In between getting it back i got another bike that has a Reverb on it. Oh my it's good! So good i don't want to use the Giant anymore and since they are both 30.9 i will just swap when i use either bike. The Giant unit lacks greatly in quality and feel compared to the Reverb.

Viva la Vida!
    Not to thrill about your response.
    I went back to using my Gravity Dropper while they decide on what to do with the crapy CONTACT and I have to say I don't know what I was thinking I figured that the infinity adjustment was an improvement but after using the GD again I love it it works flawlessly and you know it is fully extended and it will stay there every time when you want it to.

mtbr member
    I've been riding this post for a year now. Actually after a few months of riding mine failed and wouldn't rise at all. Giant let my LBS replace with one in their stock. I've got probably 8 months of use in the Pac NW without any issues. I ride 4-5 days/week regardless of weather so it's seen lots of rain and mud. I still give it a big thumbs up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Post Cart

mtbr member
    I took a tumble the other day and my saddle got twisted around 20 degrees to the left. As I didn't have any tools with me I had to hand-twist the saddle back to alignment with the frame. Noticed that the stanchions also rotated as I twisted the saddle, is there any chance that I spoilt something? The seatpost seems to move up and down fine.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    I'm interested in one, but concerned about reliability. Anyone know if Giant made any changes to it for 2013?

mtbr member
    Just to update my post, found out it wasn't just the stanchion moving when I twisted the saddle, but the entire seatpost was moving due to a loose seatclamp. So no worries about it being spoilt.

AK47, it is pretty reliable except for some side-to-side play on mine. Very minimal and you can't feel it while riding. Nonetheless, I have heard great reviews about the KS Lev so you might want to read up about it.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Thanks aizen. I think I will go with the Switch as it has the same amount of offset as the stock fixed Giant seatpost that came on my Anthem X29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Posting here since it's popular with Google. My 2013 Reign 1 came with this dropper and it works well, although there are a couple of issues that might save someone some time and hassle, and maybe Giant are listening?

Firstly, I'm average height, weight and ride a medium size frame, and like a fairly firm rear suspension. As it was delivered to me by Giant, the dropper cable rubbed against the upper link when the suspension was activated, and wore away the outside of the cable, exposing the wire. On my first bike service the cable was replaced and the mechanic re-routed the cable by using a cable-tie just under the seat post.

The problem with this was the cable now rubbed against the seat-clamp, plus I could see the cable-tie would wear away the paint on my shiny new bike. I solved this by placing a small amount of rubber (3cm of old tube) around the cable with a couple of small cable-ties at each end of the rubber, and then another larger cable-tie which wrapped around the cable and the seat-clamp bolt. Dropper still works well and problem solved.

If Giant are listening, I've seen a reverb cable router on a few bikes which clamps just under the seat post with a circular ring for the cable to thread through, which should fix the problem.

Another issue I had was the cable end-cap has popped out twice now, resulting in the dropper not locking. I didn't realise what had happened at first and was a bit embarrassed when the mechanic explained So if your dropper won't lock check that the cable end cap is fully inserted where it goes into the seat post.

Note the cable didn't pop out when I was riding, I must've pulled on the cable when moving or handling the bike, so it's not a fault per-se, just something to watch out for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The gas cartridge dropped out of the bottom of my 12-month old Contact Switch the other day on a ride. I've screwed it all back together again, it attaches top and bottom. Cleaned and lubed the cable, but it's now not locking. Checked end caps are in place and cable tension - all fine. Anyone had a similar experience and knows how to fix it?
    Cheers, nosepeg.

Viva la Vida!
    The best way to fix it once and for all is to get rid of it.

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    Hey nosepeg,
    Try taking it apart again, remove teh cartridge and compress the cartridge about 30-50mm (press the button on the top of the cartridge), thread the cartridge into the head of the post (while compressed), partially thread the lower cap onto the bottom of the cartridge, thread the lower cap into the seatpost until it bottoms and then decompress the post. Once its all back together, cycle it through its travel a few times and then check. If it still does not lock into position then closely check that the cable end cap is not hung up at either the remote or the post.

Message me if you want/need further detail. I have been riding one of these for two years now, without issue. The small amount of rotational play has not changed since day one, it is easy to service and i have generally been very pleased with it...

B
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Duke...will follow your thorough procedure and see what happens.
    Will be in touch...
    Cheers, Nic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

My new TranceX29er-1 came with one of these posts, and its my first dropper so I'm not familiar with "normal" operation yet. Every 5 or 10 miles the post drops 1/2" or so and I keep needing to release/relock it to get back to full extension. Is this typical of all droppers or should I ask my LBS to check it out?

Viva la Vida!

NOT TYPICAL !
    Seat post should remain fully extended at all times unless you put it down.
    That being said, it's typical for the giant contact switch seatpost so you either learn to live with it or you take it to your LBS which most likely will service it or even replace it until it starts happening again.
    My advice based on personal experience. Get it exchanged for a brand new one and then sell it as new before even mounting it back, take the money and buy a different brand.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast