mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Giant Contact Dropper Post with Specialized SRL Remote

I love my Giant Contact Dropper post but like all droppers the remote sucks. I have a 1x setup so I have a free matchmaker spot sitting unused. I found that Specialized has a new remote for just this problem. Enter the Specialized Command Post SRL remote. I had to order it at my local Spech dealer and a few weeks later was excited to install. Here's the issue. The cable setup is backwards. The Giant post has the cable post end attached to the bottom of the dropper. The free end is held with a set screw inside the remote. The SRL remote is meant to use the cable post end. That leaves the free end at the dropper with no way to attach it. Here's my solution after a trip to the hardware store (an Ace with a huge selection of hardware odds and ends). My dropper is setup stealth but I imagine this would work the other way as well.

1 - threaded rod .25" x .25" with 8/32 threads

2 - set screws - with 8/32 threads, shortest they have

The small threaded piece is the roughly the same diameter as the dropper mounting hole. This takes place of the black piece that held the cable post end.

A hole needs to be drilled perpendicular to the threads that will allow the cable end to pass through. The set screws must meet in the middle of the drilled hole. I shortened one to set flush on the outside and filed the ends flat for better contact and hold against the cable

Pass the cable through the drilled hole. Use the dropper to measure the needed length. Attach the set screws to hold the cable in place. I used pliers to hold the rod while I snugged the set screws down tight. Cut as close as you can and file the ends flush. There is a barrel adjuster on the remote so install and adjust out any play.

I've been using this setup for 4 months now and have no issues. The cable hasn't slipped at all. You could add some blue locktite for some added insurance. The new remote looks better and is worlds easier to use. My dropper is now perfect. I used the 100mm drop that came with my bike all last season and just installed the new 150mm with the same setup. Let me know if there are questions or if you need more pics.

Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Good stuff, luckily cable operated posts are easy to mix and match.

mtbr member
    how hard was it to get your cable length set?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It wasn't too hard. I had to make one adjustment. You can use the bottom of the dropper to get a good idea of the needed length just by holding the cable to the side and eyeing it. I got it so I only needed a few clicks to get it tight. Don't tighten the set screws down too tight at first or they will deform the cable enough so you can't pull it through for adjustments. The tricky part is the cable has to be cut to fit in the dropper. If you go too short you either have to shorten your housing or get a new cable. It's well worth it to be rid of that joke of a remote.

I could pull it and measure the distance if needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can I ask what you paid for the SLR Remote? I just picked up a new Contact Switch post and already anxious to find a nicer lever for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    $55-60 I think, well worth it!

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Nice write up!

I've got a 2015 Command Post IR with the SLR remote. I love the remote, the post however requires a learning curve. I don't mind its speed, but the 3-position can be a challenge finding the middle spot.

I've still got my old Reverb (now on my wife's bike) and I'm hoping I can sell and replace it with a Contact. The Command Post would go on my wife's bike with the Giant remote, and the Contact would go on my bike with the SLR remote.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Awesome write up. Thanks for posting.

I just went through this, albeit with the Race Face lever which could have worked with a similar DIY mod.

In the end I chose the Fox lever, as it's a direct bolt up for the GIANT dropper post, no DIY necessary. Just like the factory GIANT lever, the cable end slides into the lever, and is secured with a retaining bolt / set screw in the lever.

FOX Racing Shox Transfer Dropper Seatpost Lever Assembly | Backcountry.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Will the raceface turbine lever work with the switch seatpost?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    No, but yes.

The levers and seat post work by connecting one end of the cable to the seat post or lever, and the other end connected to the seat post or lever by a stopper (metal cylinder looking thing).

The stopper is on the Giant Switch seat post, and the bare cable connects to the Giant lever on the handlebars. This is the same for the Fox lever.

However, the RaceFace Turbine lever connects at the lever by the metal barrel, and then the other end connects to the Giant seat post, which should be connecting by a barrel also.

So...on the factory setup plus the Fox lever, you have a barrel stopper at the seat post, and a bare wire at the lever. However, on the RaceFace Turbine lever you need a barrel stopper at both ends of the cable (at the seat and at the lever), which means you need to purchase a metal barrel stopper and crimp it to the bare end found at the lever.

Thus, it does not technically work with the Giant Switch dropper post, but you can make it work by adding the metal barrel at the lever end of the cable. (see Amazon link above, though that specific link didn't have a perfect fit barrel stopper so maybe you can find a different set of stoppers that would have a barrel stopper that fits better into the Race Face lever).

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    Nice hack! Though you can also get a threaded barrel made for the KS LEV for $5 from our local or friendly online shop. The set screw isn't supplied but can be ordered or scrounged pretty easily. That way you also get a hex to hold the barrel while tightening the set screw.

Wolf Tooth's new ReMote (which, full disclosure, I had a hand in) has a cable clamp at the lever, and I've been using it on the Contact, Specialized Command, and Fox Transfer. If your post has a cable clamp at the post (like the KS or Command), you can just cut the barrel off of the cable and do all of your setup from the lever end.
    Giant Contact Dropper Post with Specialized SRL Remote-wolf-tooth-remote-mounted-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishermanmike View Post
    threaded rod .25" x .25" with 8/32 threads
    Hello, I'm trying to apply your hack with a KS Southpaw, but I can't find a 0.25" x 0.25" threaded rod, which would be the perfect fit... I'm in France. Where did you find it exactly? Is there a kit that is a perfect fit as yours?
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    https://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_...2_thread).aspx

found this, not exactly right but could be modified to work?

mtbr member
    Wolftooth remote - no modification, great piece of kit and is compatible with all the standards.
    ReMote ? wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I also use a Wolf Tooth lever for my contact dropper. It works great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rijndael View Post
    I also use a Wolf Tooth lever for my contact dropper. It works great.
    getting my wolf in a few days for my 17 trance 2, did you reuse your dropper cable and how much better is it compared to stock remote? I found stock remote being too sluggish and gritty

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Can someone confirm which model of the Wolfstooth lever would work with the Giant dropper seat? (which version is the best to buy)

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchesP View Post
    Can someone confirm which model of the Wolfstooth lever would work with the Giant dropper seat? (which version is the best to buy)
    What I understand is the "Shimano IS-AB" version will fit all shimano brakes made after 2014.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by skycries57 View Post
    getting my wolf in a few days for my 17 trance 2, did you reuse your dropper cable and how much better is it compared to stock remote? I found stock remote being too sluggish and gritty
    Yes, I reused the inner cable and outer housing.

The new lever is not sluggish nor gritty.

mtbr member
    I haven't used the remote on the trail yet, but in town it's fantastic, not sluggish and smooth due to the bearing in it.
    Every model will work, it depends on what shifters you have to match it with. I went with the standard one so I can use with different shifters.

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    What I understand is the "Shimano IS-AB" version will fit all shimano brakes made after 2014.
    That's not entirely accurate- Shimano M7000 SLX, M8000 XT, and M9000 XTR will work with the ReMote IS-II. The ReMote 22 will work with any brake levers as it clamps to the handlebar directly. Have a look at the Wolf Tooth Components site or e-mail the customer service e-mail a photo of your brakes for more information on compatibility.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    It is kinda confusing. Hope I ordered the right one for my shimano M615 brakes, ordered the IS-AB..

mtbr member
    It is kinda confusing. Hope I ordered the right one for my shimano M615 brakes, ordered the IS-AB..
    If you ordered the wrong thing, I'm sure they will take care of you or you can order the parts and switch to the other adapter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Lindarets View Post
    That's not entirely accurate- Shimano M7000 SLX, M8000 XT, and M9000 XTR will work with the ReMote IS-II. The ReMote 22 will work with any brake levers as it clamps to the handlebar directly. Have a look at the Wolf Tooth Components site or e-mail the customer service e-mail a photo of your brakes for more information on compatibility.
    Thanks.

I currently have the Fox lever, and it clamps directly to the handlebar. I prefer this as you can move it independently to where you want it, but...the lever is just a little bit small, so was hoping the Wolfstooth had an option that wasn't attached to the brake lever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchesP View Post
    Thanks.

I currently have the Fox lever, and it clamps directly to the handlebar. I prefer this as you can move it independently to where you want it, but...the lever is just a little bit small, so was hoping the Wolfstooth had an option that wasn't attached to the brake lever.
    They do have a remote that comes with a clamp so it is separate from the shifter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    got mine installed last night, works like butter. housing flaring up because I forgot to install barrel, its in now and now even w lever. Bit the bullet and bought a Park Tool cutter at $35 a pop, OUCH! Oh well, I'll try to replace cables at least once a year to get my moneys worth, cables are cheap at 3.00 ea, it does work flawless though. Had issue with internal cable in down tube in the 17 Trance 2, the end housing of the cable was 12" deep almost to the bottom bracket and pulling the cable did not raise the housing so I got a fish hook and line and fished it out, took 25 minutes DANG! Works good now, nothing better. Stock lever was JUNK, kinda like power steering vs steering from cars from the 60s.

Noticed now that the lever needs to be thumb-pushed at least 1" in to have the post move up and down SMOOTHLY without a grit sound. I wish someone would make a more "Crisper instant" type of lever, ala' Shimano SLX/XT/XTR gears. Wish you only had to press it in a 1/4" to "click" and raise/lower the post THAT WOULD BE THE BEST LEVER if anyone decided to make it, Id pay $100 for it!

Has anyone modded an XT lever to make it work like I described?Giant Contact Dropper Post with Specialized SRL Remote-wolftooth.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Noticed now that the lever needs to be thumb-pushed at least 1" in to have the post move up and down SMOOTHLY without a grit sound.
    Increasing the cable tension, with the barrel adjuster on the lever, to decrease the amount of lever throw needed to activate the dropper.

Also, you want a somewhat smooth/straight line of the outer housing run in to the lever ... yours looks like it has quite a bend, but it could be just a camera angle issue. Straight lines, rather than a sharp bend, decrease cable friction and makes it easier to use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Cable is now parallel with the lever, couldn't find my barrel. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    couldn't find my barrel.

This is a barrel adjuster, unscrew it a bit. That will increase the tension on the cable and reduce the lever throw.

Giant Contact Dropper Post with Specialized SRL Remote-wolftooth.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Sorry I meant black plastic end on housing that cable goes through then into lever Barrel adjust...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Oh. That's called a cable ferrule.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash. View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to apply your hack with a KS Southpaw, but I can't find a 0.25" x 0.25" threaded rod, which would be the perfect fit... I'm in France. Where did you find it exactly? Is there a kit that is a perfect fit as yours?
    Thank you!
    I bought mine at a local ACE hardware store. Let me see if I can find one on the net.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That new ReMote from Wolftooth looks slick! I would have bought it had it been available. My diy hack has worked flawlessly so far but I worry about that day when I'm miles out, I push the remote and nothing happens because the cable has pulled out at the end of the dropper. Maybe I need to revisit the SLR remote and see if there's a was to add a cable retaining screw at the remote. Does someone have a close up pic of how the cable attaches to the Wolftooth ReMote?

If someone wants to buy my Specialized SLR remote I'll give them a deal.

Goat Wrangler
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishermanmike View Post
    Does someone have a close up pic of how the cable attaches to the Wolftooth ReMote?
    Here you go!Giant Contact Dropper Post with Specialized SRL Remote-remote-ab-mounted-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Awesome! I imagine I'll end up with one of those soon...