mtbr member

Which Giant bike is best for me?

I was all set to buy a Giant Trance X1 but then I saw this video on one of the threads here of a guy going off a 3-4 foot drop. The next entry was something like "Wow, bet you bottomed that out" and the guy in the video confirmed it in the next comment line. Seeing that I became very disappointed. Growing up I road BMX/Freestyle bikes all around. I could hit jumps go off drops whatever I wanted. I thought that is what I would be doing again when I bought a 2400.00 mountain bike. I weigh 220 lbs and I will be using the bike to commute to work 2-3 days a week and then hitting up local trails in central Florida on the weekends and also putting in some long training rides on the road (paved and dirt). I need a bike that will let me do both, churn out 30-40 miles training and hitting jumps up for fun when they come along. Is there a Giant out there that meets these requirements or is each bike a single purpose machine? Should I just get a hard tail XTC? Please help, I want to order the bike some time next week.
    I only responded to this lame thread because I wanted to increase my posts count.

mtbr member
    On the Trance X1, if I knew in advance I was going to hit some jumps could I just pump the rear shock up and put it on its stiffest setting? Would this allow me to hit some jumps and not have to worry about bottoming out? I guess this would go for the front as well.
    I only responded to this lame thread because I wanted to increase my posts count.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you can bottom out ANY bike over anything. set an 8 inch dh bike soft enough and it'll bottom off a curb. that really says nothing about anything really.

you dont want to commute on a big long travel plush bike that can ride off a roof without bottoming. the trance x isnt a long travel bike by any means, but thats a really good thing for actually pedalling up stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight tomsmoto. So if you set the suspension soft enough you can bottom out anything. Does it work in reverse? If I stiffen the suspension to max will it help prevent me from bottoming out on small stuff like a 4 foot drop?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think you'll be fine. Suspension bottoms out, if it didn't you could do with less travel, right? In all seriousness, I demoed a Trance X2 and it was awesome on my local trails. Yes, some technical stuff and overall the bike made me a better rider, as cliche as that sounds.

Really, the bike is fairly decently light, has a very efficient suspension, and is very confidence inspiring. Yeah, maybe if you want to go big(ger), you could get something else, like the Reign, but then you're getting it heavier and harder to use as an everyday bike.

Biknbryn
    Apr 2007

Smile

Or get a Trance and an XTC!

I did

On a serious note though, the XTC is a sick bick for XC and commuting!

The Trance is a sick AM bike that can double as a dirt jump bike!

mtbr member
    After talking with my LBS: J&S Cyclery I decided to go with the Trance X1. It's coming from Cali so I'll have it in about 10 days from now. For what I'm going to be dong 90% of the time I don't think I could ask for a better bike.

Thanks for the input guys.

mtbr member
    Looks like a good choice for your needs.

mtbr member
    8 days and counting. I might be lucky and it shows up on time. Then I will have it by Friday!!!!