Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6

    Giant Anthem X3 26er (2009) Upgrades

    I'm running the subject bike in stock form other than going tubeless on the tires. Fox F100 RL fork, Float RP2 shock, Shimano Deore Rapid-fire Shifters, Shimano M486 brakes. I had the front fork and shock serviced by PUSH one time and they did a good job with that.

    Even though the bike is considered obsolete I like it and plan to keep it a while. It's coming time for another fork and shock service. Time to do the brakes again too. Before I do another service, I'm wondering if anyone had any component upgrade recommendations.

    My usual riding is hardback trail, but with short areas of very steep inclines (as in don't steer and try to keep the front wheel on the ground), occasional mud after rain, and creek crossings (slippery and sometimes over a foot deep). Downhill sections can be fast, but speed is limited by visibility (shared trail). Catching any air is only 12" or so and not interested in more. Biggest recent challenge for me was maintaining forward progress over some recently placed large rocks on the far bank of the creek as I came out heading uphill. On my first try I sliced my rear tire and lost air and traction instantly. Ouch.

    It's really hard to figure out what upgrades may be of noticeable value without any basis for compare. I dragged my feet for the longest time before going tubeless and was just blown away at the improvement when I finally did it, even on the same tires. Eager for any advice from those who have tried more options. In my case I am not racing although I do enjoy improving my times,

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,177
    1) Buy a piggy bank and call it "Anthem SX 2018"

    2) Feed the piggy bank with all the money you were prepared to spend on upgrades. If sinful thoughts of upgrades surface again you know where to put the money.

    3) Next year same time rob the piggy bank and use part of it for a down payment on an Anthem SX 2018.

    4) Sell your AnthemX close to delivery date and use the proceeds of the sale + rest of piggy bank to finance your bike.
    If that alone doesn't cut it sell your wife.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Yeah, that's an option too given that upgrades will quickly add up to a good chunk of the cost of a new bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    1) Buy a piggy bank and call it "Anthem SX 2018"

    2) Feed the piggy bank with all the money you were prepared to spend on upgrades. If sinful thoughts of upgrades surface again you know where to put the money.

    3) Next year same time rob the piggy bank and use part of it for a down payment on an Anthem SX 2018.

    4) Sell your AnthemX close to delivery date and use the proceeds of the sale + rest of piggy bank to finance your bike.
    If that alone doesn't cut it sell your wife.
    Last edited by austinted; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:03 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    74
    Your bike is hardly obsolete. The bike industry is bad at forcing obsolescence and telling you that your bike is garbage. That said, it seems most riders only get 3-5 years on a frame before all the pivots and parts are worn out (depending on mileage).

    I'd keep that bike, do the services and whatever to keep it going for another year or two while you save. There is nothing wrong with it at all. I run a '10 Trance X3 and have no problems on the trails when compared to riders on newer bikes.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,177
    ^^ Don't get confused by other riders who are wasting their money to keep their 26" bikes on life support before eventually realising that they have been left behind.

    Didn't want to say it out loud first but your so called "mountainbike" is an obsolete piece of garbage. Get rid of this rolling coffin before it kills you!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Two years ago I replaced all of the frame pivot bearings. Easy job with the right tools. The rear shock blew and was leaking fluid and the front fork had a broken bottom spring so I sent those in for service at PUSH. Still love the bike, but the chainrings and cluster are starting to get a bit beat now.

    Quote Originally Posted by syphen View Post
    Your bike is hardly obsolete. The bike industry is bad at forcing obsolescence and telling you that your bike is garbage. That said, it seems most riders only get 3-5 years on a frame before all the pivots and parts are worn out (depending on mileage).

    I'd keep that bike, do the services and whatever to keep it going for another year or two while you save. There is nothing wrong with it at all. I run a '10 Trance X3 and have no problems on the trails when compared to riders on newer bikes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    For me the convenience outweighs the risk. The 26ers are so widely hated that I don't even have to lock the bike up anymore. One time I left it out and when I came back found a box of donated parts next to it - the local bike thieves took up a collection and even left me a note of encouragement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    ^^ Don't get confused by other riders who are wasting their money to keep their 26" bikes on life support before eventually realising that they have been left behind.

    Didn't want to say it out loud first but your so called "mountainbike" is an obsolete piece of garbage. Get rid of this rolling coffin before it kills you!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    I decided to do a 1:11 conversion, since the drivetrain was completely shot. I also re-greased the wheel bearings while I was at it. I just took it it out for a 2 hour ride and everything is working flawlessly. I'm very happy with the setup. I'll get the fork and shock serviced in the fall and be good for another few years.

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Giant Anthem 27.5 2 with XT upgrades
    By StanLSU in forum Giant
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 08:18 AM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-08-2015, 10:16 PM
  3. Giant Anthem X.....26er vs 29er
    By swengo86 in forum Giant
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 06:13 AM
  4. Giant Anthem X1 2009 model enquiry ...
    By Skimpy Wan in forum Giant
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
  5. 2009 Giant Anthem Advance
    By AnthemAdvanced in forum Giant
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •