mtbr member

Giant Anthem X29er - rear derailleur question

Hi guys,

Current setup is 2012 X29er 1 with the stock white X9 rear derailleur. Looking to put a Type 2 X9 derailleur on the back.

Question is, is the stock derailleur a long cage or a medium cage? 26/39 * 12-36 cassette.

Tried googling, but no luck!

mtbr member
    I would think that would have to be a long cage. Don't think you could fit enough chain needed to run 39-36 through a mid cage derailleur.

mtbr member
    That's what I'm thinking, but I think you need the long cage for a 42 x 36 and the 39 x 36 might be okay for a medium? I might have to post this in the drive train forum.

Thanks for the bump!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looking at Type 2 - Rear Derailleur - Force of Nature | SRAM it says "3 cage lengths available: short for DH, medium for 2 x 10 and long for 3 x 10".

It looks like a nice upgrade but I see there have been tension spring issues - SRAM X9 10-Speed Rear Derailleur Reviews

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links, Paul.

Now that I have the cage length sorted, I can look into the spring tension issues!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just spoke to my local lbs and they seem to think the X 29er's have a long cage.

I also contacted an internet based retailer about the reliability and they said "we have sold plenty with no issues".

I see that they are fitted to some of the new Trances too.

mtbr member
    Good news on the Trances. If it works there, it'll work on my Anthem too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just found that the 2011 X1 has a Shimano XT Long Cage - GIANT BICYCLES ANTHEM X 29ER 1 - DATASHEET MANUAL Pdf Download.

According to SRAM, the X9 S, M and L Cage Sizes are 55mm, 75mm, 99mm.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the measurements. Easy enough for me to figure out what length my derailleur is. I'll check into the Trance drive train specs to see if if duplicates my current cassette and front crankset. If it does and the Trance uses a medium cage, then I'll spring for the medium cage on my setup as well.

Again, thanks for all the (quick) info!