mtbr member

Giant Anthem X: Fox 120mm instead of 100mm?

I'm in the process of building up a XC/Endurance/trail bike off of a Giant Anthem X frame.

I know a couple posters have swapped their 100mm forks for the 120mm version and was wondering if anyone would care to comment (longtime) on if they like the 120mm or wish they would have stuck with the 100mm.

My initial setup Iím thinking is Sram X0 (Twisters), Fox R rear, with Fox 120 RLC front.

Will adding the 120... mess with bike geometry too much? I imagine it will make the geometry more relaxed? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

-Thanks

mtbr member
    I 2nd this thread. I'm actually considering the exact same thing. I'm running 100mm right now, but I'm considering a Fox F120RLC. The bike feels REALLY balanced right now and I won't want to throw that off.

The head angle will slacken to 70 degrees, which I think is good. I just don't want the seat angle to slacken too much and weight the rear too much.

I guess you could run a bit more sag than usual to make the increase an extra 15mm or so, which would also give it more negative travel, another good thing.

So yes, anyone out there who's made the switch, shout out!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I did and I love it. I had to lower my stem after the switch but I get the efficiency and weight of a 4 inch travel race bike with the plush front end of a 5 inch trail bike. I was really suprised at how much smoother just one inch is. It feels very good.

mtbr member
    Awesome, that is exactly what I wanted to hear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hi everybody there !
    A month ago I bought 2nd hand an Anthem 3 frame , with Manitou SRL rear shock and I transferred everything I got from my old MTB (an Orbea max Flow) which, by the way , I revamped with XTshifters etc 755 quad piston disc brakes, XT / Fulcrum red metal 5, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 AND my "beloved Marzocchi Marathon SL 100/120 , set at 120 mm travel...
    I never had it set at 100 mm so far and I am totally fond of it's performance in the trails and rocky scenery ..
    Even with these tires, it rides much much better than my previous Orbea, and I do not think I ' ll try to shorten the travel down to 100 mm ,or maybe I 'll give it a try later in the summer..

I am very happy with my Anthem and It pushes you to ride longer distances and ...leave the brakes at the longer descents...
    Marathon SL ,is a bit tricky to set up, due to 4 air chambers, but , once set , it is plush and very light ..

Have nice rides all of you.

Costas, Greece.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just curious, but are you guys doing any drops on your Anthems?

I was thinking about picking up something like a Transition BottleRocket, or Preston, to ride some more technical stuff but am not sure if the Anthem would be suitable for these types of trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The trails I ride are a bit agressive but I do not try to "fly" going downhill...
    The fork I ride is a bit flexy ,and is not suitable for drops, although I am not that expert of a rider...
    I ride mostly XC routes, with some hard parts in trails, and this bike setup (120 mm of travel) allows me to push it a bit further in descents without fear...
    If I was going for harder stuff, I 'd prefer to take my chances on Trance, or Reign... but with a heavier and stiffer fork, such as Fox Talas ...