mtbr member
    Jan 2006

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Apparently, he's already cracked it.

http://velonews.com/photo/89282

Probably just an unfortunate lighting effect, as I can't imagine they'd let a photo of a crack in the frame to be published. Right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    Probably just an unfortunate lighting effect, as I can't imagine they'd let a photo of a crack in the frame to be published. Right?
    Looks like a reflection

Heís got a really nicely kitted out bike there with the 15QR and prototype Shimano and Chris King bits. Iíll have to try 1x9 on my bike soon, see if there anything to it. Anyway, nice to finally see one built up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    looks like I am going to have to hold off on building an alum verison. that thing is sweet

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Not a crack, guys--just a reflection.
    There's no way we would have allowed Pacocha to shoot a cracked frame.

This is Adam's generation 2 prototype which is 85% of the way to a final production frame.
    While we're still making small changes, what you see here a close to what you'll be able to buy later this summer.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantBicycle
    While we're still making small changes, what you see here a close to what you'll be able to buy later this summer.

Thanks.
    No, thank you.

Narrowing the q-factor with modern cranks on XC race bikes is something I've wanted for some time. It's true, Cannondale is already doing it, but I wish the industry could agree on some kind of standard. This one sounds promising, maybe it's the future?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

For me it looks like lacquer craked, because the edges looks quiet sharp.

Ant the bike is awesome. Now there is a question how much it will weight. Anxious to know that.

bi-winning
    Is it really going to be called ...X Andvanced SL? That's a little much IMO.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Considering that there is currently no Anthem X Advanced to make Super Light, I have to agree. And even if there was, it's still clumsy. Probably wouldn't stop me from getting one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm speechless. I love that bike. Maybe I should hold on to the money and not spend them on the XTC advanced SL and wait. But when will it be in the shops? And will be offered world wide?

mtbr member
    Not a crack, guys--just a reflection.
    There's no way we would have allowed Pacocha to shoot a cracked frame.

This is Adam's generation 2 prototype which is 85% of the way to a final production frame.

Thanks.

Late this summer?? Is that some sort of a sick joke. I'm still waiting for my aluminum model. This bike probably won't reach North America until late spring 2010.

Edit: sorry I mis-read your post. Sure you'll be able to buy the Anthem X Advanced SL late this summer....... but it won't actually reach your bike shop until May.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    I'm still waiting for my aluminum model.
    Does Giant hate you?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member

Looks like a scratch in the clear coat and a bit of a chip in the resin. Probably nothing.
    Pinning it since 76'

mtbr member
    It would appear that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I realize it doesn't quite roll of the tongue, but you do have to admit that it makes sense?

All of our bike names are structured in this formula: SERIES, FRAME TECHNOLOGY, MODEL.

So, because this new Anthem X bike uses Advanced SL-grade composite, its proper name would be Anthem X Advanced SL 0 or Anthem X Advanced SL 1....and so on.

Plus, 'Wicked Fat Chance' was already taken...kidding.

Andrew---

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I realize it doesn't quite roll of the tongue, but you do have to admit that it makes sense?

All of our bike names are structured in this formula: SERIES, FRAME TECHNOLOGY, MODEL.

So, because this new Anthem X bike uses Advanced SL-grade composite, its proper name would be Anthem X Advanced SL 0 or Anthem X Advanced SL 1....and so on.

Andrew---
    As some one that works at a Giant dealer, I love Giant's naming structure.

So easy even a shop rat can do it

bi-winning

Andrew---
    Ok, makes sense. The name hardly matters anyway. May not sound smooth, but it clearly identifies the bike.

rkj__
    rider of a 2005 NRS

(yeah, just NRS, no C, 1, 2, 3, air, X, Advanced, SL...)

mtbr member
    I'm wondering if that new King drop in headset is a viable replacement for the Cane Creek on the current anthem advanced frames? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I will be very interested to see how much lighter this frame is over the ally version, my guess will be max 200g, 1/4 lb at best. As we all know the last Advanced was no lighter than the ally one and in fact this years anthem x ally frame is around 1/4lb lighter than last years advanced carbon. I raced a advanced last year, and really liked the carbon ride qualities, smoother than the alloy version, however the current X is so good, if the carbon X is not significantly lighter i will stick alloy. In the current climate i can imagine the new x carbon being serious money, so it needs to be light !.

mtbr member
    I agree. There hasn't been enough difference between Alu and carbon models in the past to justify the 300% frame price increase. Carbon ride quality only means so much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think you are going to be on the money with 300% too ! lol, its going to be serious money, i reckon the carbon frame will cost about the same as a brand new X1 complete bike, which, lets be honest makes it silly money. I hope i am woring, i.e. its about 1lb lighter than the ally ! (not possible in reality) and costs only at worse double that of the ally one (also a pipe dream) ;o). If its going to come in that black and white colour, its going to look awesome though ! ;o)

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong. The carbon rides awesome and I will very likely be on one when it comes out in reality (May 2010 if I am lucky). Just take Giants weight claims and delivery promises with a grain of salt. It will probably be 150 grams lighter than the Alu.

Older & Slower
    May 2006

My question when it comes to carbon frames...

I'm 195-200 lbs (naked), and I would guess that's too heavy for a carbon frame...but is it too heavy for any XC carbon frame? Santa Cruz says there's no weight limit for their new carbon Blur XC. Will Giant put a weight limit on this new Anthem X Advanced SL? Have they done that in the past? Just curious...

mtbr member
    Giant doesn't put weight limits on their bikes. Part of the reason their frames aren't super light.

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    Is that true for their carbon frames?...No weight limits?

P.S. Any feedback on the durability of the Anthem X pivots, links, etc? Does anyone know how long the bearings can go before they need to be replaced/serivced? I bought my Anthem X in early December 2008.

mtbr member

Andrew---

Very impressed that Giant's team actually engage with honest consumers and customers, and from which they are able to gain real feedback, on quality forums such as MTBR.

Would be great to see the frame come in a Medium-Large size - a lot of folks straddle a big gap between the Medium and Large sizes.

Would also be great to see an Anthem X 29er Advanced SL 0 - a lightweight full suspension 29er - did I get the name right, or is the name getting a little long already?

Giant, keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Giant doesn't put weight limits on their bikes. Part of the reason their frames aren't super light.
    Hmm, 5.15 lbs for a Medium Anthem X frame WITH a Fox RP23 is pretty darned light. There are a lot of 4" XC frames out there that cost more than an Anthem X2 and weigh more with no shock.

mtbr member
    I didn't say they were heavy. When you are comparing the Advanced SL to the ASR-C or Blur or Spark or Mojo, then no it's not light.

mtbr member
    I didn't say they were heavy. When you are comparing the Advanced SL to the ASR-C or Blur or Spark or Mojo, then no it's not light.

i know the Mojo does not have great frame stiffness, especially when you take into account the rear linkages - it moves around a lot!

i have also heard that the Blur does not have great frame stiffness - people have used the word noodle in describing how it rides

i still want to have the lightest bike possible, but it does need to be stiff, and the rear triangle where it is connected to the main frame triangle through the Maestro linkages, should never be a source of lateral flex - the Pivot 429 is a great example in this regard (one of the stiffest bikes out there, probably because of the shorter DW linkages, that i have ridden). i was pleased to read on the Velonews article about the Anthem X Advanced SL that Giant have kept an aluminium lower linkage, not because I have a particular opinion about what material that linkage should be, but because Giant are obviously paying attention to this critical issue of lateral flex between the frame's independent front and rear triangles. Hopefully Giant can overcome the fact that the Maestro linkages are longer than Pivot's for example, although I must admit that I prefer the plusher feel (though still efficient) of Maestro suspension compared to Pivot's DW-link (though the overall handling of the Pivot 429 (29er) is pretty sweet, riding a lot better than their Mach 4 and 5 26 inch bikes, though those bikes are obviously both super stiff also). My guess is that when Giant makes its 4 inch full suspension 29er, it will be able to bring the weight down a lot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For me I have to balance cost vs. performance/weight. I would never buy and Ibis Mojo SL (has to be the SL the Mojo is a 6lb frame) for $2500 when I could get an entire Anthem X2 for the same price.

mtbr member

How About this

Andrew---
    (Anthem X29 Advanced SL 0 ) How Much Longer Do I and lots of others have to wait for the ultimate dream bike. Any Insights to a dually 29er soon.

mtbr member
    No, thank you.

Narrowing the q-factor with modern cranks on XC race bikes is something I've wanted for some time. It's true, Cannondale is already doing it, but I wish the industry could agree on some kind of standard. This one sounds promising, maybe it's the future?

Ya lets see it with a BB30.

mtbr member
    (I've posted this from another MTBR thread called 'another Giant rumour' on the 29er forum to provide evidence of consummation over lust, and it charts the progress of my thinking on my recent bike purchase)

(Hopefully you find it useful - apologies if you don't)

I know a couple of really experienced mountain bikers (both about 10-15 years older than I am), one a serious nationally competitive 24 hour racer who previously raced a Giant Anthem, and the other an experienced trail rider who has owned many Giant Maestro bikes. Both of them now ride and race the Pivot Mach 429s. Both of them have gotten faster on the dual suspension 29er, and have gotten rid of all their other bikes (apart from the trail rider who has kept his single speed).

There are other positive anecdotes from riders I know too but these guys are right on in independently and expertly evaluating the two specific brands I have narrowed down to.

The opinions of these riders match in stating that the DW-Link of the Pivot 429 is both a better pedalling platform than the Maestro as well as being more plush and comfortable.

Having now ridden both bikes, I am so convinced of the Pivot Mach 429 that I just put down a deposit to order a medium silver Pivot Mach 429 XTR (Ultralite). It is supposed to arrive in the next month or two. Looking forward to that obviously.

There will be no need for me to post photos as I'm just going to run it stock (although I am keen to try the Schwalbe 29 x 2.35 Big Apple tyres for my love of cornering and to trial them on hardpack).

Apart from these guys' opinions about the superiority of DW-Link, my own research and my own test riding, I can't be bothered waiting for Giant's Anthem 29er (and there is also the risk that Giant will go the Specialized route and only make a lower spec 29er too). I might be wrong in terms of Giant's release dates but for my part, there will be no regrets.

For my part, the medium Pivot 429 also fits me perfectly. I am a pretty average 6 foot tall, and Giant does not seem to provide properly for my size. I've got no feedback from Giant on my questions whether they will make a Medium-Large frame size (which I've been asking for a couple of months) which I would need to ride any of their current 26 inch bikes, and who knows whether they will make their 29ers in the right frame size.

I started my bike search a couple of months ago. I initially narrowed the market down to thinking I would buy the Giant Anthem X, hoping they would make it in my size (which would be Medium-Large in Giant's terms). I also flirted with Specialized bikes (because the Stumpjumper FSR fitted my 6 foot height well) among others, but there is something I really don't like about Specialized bikes. To me the Specialized Brain is an engineering Band-Aid for the outdated Horst-link design. And on a more basic level their chainstay lengths are always too short in relation to their wheelbase lengths which negatively affects handling - you should be looking to a ratio of 0.39 and above for cross country and trail riding. Not to mention their overly slack head angles which decrease cornering traction. (Other styles of riding may differ in their geometry requirements of course.)

When I heard about the carbon version of the Giant Anthem X coming out, that excited me and I thought that would be the one, but Giant would still have to make it in Medium-Large for me to buy it. Then on a friend's advice, I test rode the Pivot Mach 429. That one test ride for me became the last chapter of my bike purchase saga, and I have come to the view that it is the best dual suspension 29er that I can see coming to market over the next two years. I take a while to make a decision because I like to know I am making the right one and I am happy to wait a few months for better models to be released (and no doubt I probably piss off a few bike shop people in the process) but once I know I know, and I know I'll be happy for years. Now I know.

I agree with the above post that Giant are cutting themselves short to focus on the masses rather than the 'mavens' (I actually hate the term 'mavens' and I think Malcolm Gladwell is a right wanker but the tipping point idea is essentially a good one). Maybe Giant are not wrong, but there are certainly consequences, positive and negative to any business strategy, theirs included. Right now, Giant just lost a high-end purchase for the next few years because of it.

But seriously, go and test ride the Pivot 29er, save the cash, save the stress and save the wait - no regrets, you'll love it.

Oh, and if you don't stuff around with hardtail 26 inch bikes, then don't stuff around on a hardtail 29er.

p.s. I obviously changed my opinion on the plushness of DW-link versus Maestro

mtbr member
    I've had many bikes over the past few years and unfortunately I have to buy-to-try instead of having the luxury of trying before buying. I was able to compare several 29er's and even the mach 429 against others. My 26" stable has included a trance advanced and now most recently an anthem advanced. Weight wise I doubt that anyone can put any anthem along side a 429 and say its a fair comparision. Built up with XTR and race wheelset my 429 was over 6lbs heavier than my Anthem. The difference in the ride..well..is one of the best 29ers I've been on but not comparable to any 26er I've had. Maestro better than the DW? DW better than the Maestro? I don't know or care as both are really great, but I can't say that one is plusher or climbs better, I guess if I had the mach 4 vs. the Anthem the comparo would be closer. However, where I live and race the 29er is slower. No question about that at all, even guys who are faster racers than me who tried the 29er thing have gone or will be going back to 26". I still have a 29er but its not my XC race bike anymore.

After getting both front and rear Pushed on my Anthem Advanced I'm really liking the bike a lot. The travel is of better quality on the back where before it felt choppy 'cause I couldn't ever find the sweet spot with only being able to adjust sag and rebound. It doesn't squat when you stand up and hammer and now I'm able to sit through the chop moreso. A completely different animal than the Trance advanced this replaced.
    For the extra 10mm of rear travel on the 2010 Anthem is it really worth it?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    But wait, the Mach 429 isn't overly steep, particularly for a 29er and there is a .2" difference in TT between the L Anthem X and the M 429 - did that really make all the difference in the world? I don't get that part :-)

However, I am glad you found your bike, best of luck :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lookin
    (I've posted this from another MTBR thread called 'another Giant rumour' on the 29er forum to provide evidence of consummation over lust, and it charts the progress of my thinking on my recent bike purchase)

(Hopefully you find it useful - apologies if you don't)

I know a couple of really experienced mountain bikers (both about 10-15 years older than I am), one a serious nationally competitive 24 hour racer who previously raced a Giant Anthem, and the other an experienced trail rider who has owned many Giant Maestro bikes. Both of them now ride and race the Pivot Mach 429s. Both of them have gotten faster on the dual suspension 29er, and have gotten rid of all their other bikes (apart from the trail rider who has kept his single speed).

There are other positive anecdotes from riders I know too but these guys are right on in independently and expertly evaluating the two specific brands I have narrowed down to.

The opinions of these riders match in stating that the DW-Link of the Pivot 429 is both a better pedalling platform than the Maestro as well as being more plush and comfortable.

Having now ridden both bikes, I am so convinced of the Pivot Mach 429 that I just put down a deposit to order a medium silver Pivot Mach 429 XTR (Ultralite). It is supposed to arrive in the next month or two. Looking forward to that obviously.

There will be no need for me to post photos as I'm just going to run it stock (although I am keen to try the Schwalbe 29 x 2.35 Big Apple tyres for my love of cornering and to trial them on hardpack).

Apart from these guys' opinions about the superiority of DW-Link, my own research and my own test riding, I can't be bothered waiting for Giant's Anthem 29er (and there is also the risk that Giant will go the Specialized route and only make a lower spec 29er too). I might be wrong in terms of Giant's release dates but for my part, there will be no regrets.

For my part, the medium Pivot 429 also fits me perfectly. I am a pretty average 6 foot tall, and Giant does not seem to provide properly for my size. I've got no feedback from Giant on my questions whether they will make a Medium-Large frame size (which I've been asking for a couple of months) which I would need to ride any of their current 26 inch bikes, and who knows whether they will make their 29ers in the right frame size.

I started my bike search a couple of months ago. I initially narrowed the market down to thinking I would buy the Giant Anthem X, hoping they would make it in my size (which would be Medium-Large in Giant's terms). I also flirted with Specialized bikes (because the Stumpjumper FSR fitted my 6 foot height well) among others, but there is something I really don't like about Specialized bikes. To me the Specialized Brain is an engineering Band-Aid for the outdated Horst-link design. And on a more basic level their chainstay lengths are always too short in relation to their wheelbase lengths which negatively affects handling - you should be looking to a ratio of 0.39 and above for cross country and trail riding. Not to mention their overly slack head angles which decrease cornering traction. (Other styles of riding may differ in their geometry requirements of course.)

When I heard about the carbon version of the Giant Anthem X coming out, that excited me and I thought that would be the one, but Giant would still have to make it in Medium-Large for me to buy it. Then on a friend's advice, I test rode the Pivot Mach 429. That one test ride for me became the last chapter of my bike purchase saga, and I have come to the view that it is the best dual suspension 29er that I can see coming to market over the next two years. I take a while to make a decision because I like to know I am making the right one and I am happy to wait a few months for better models to be released (and no doubt I probably piss off a few bike shop people in the process) but once I know I know, and I know I'll be happy for years. Now I know.

I agree with the above post that Giant are cutting themselves short to focus on the masses rather than the 'mavens' (I actually hate the term 'mavens' and I think Malcolm Gladwell is a right wanker but the tipping point idea is essentially a good one). Maybe Giant are not wrong, but there are certainly consequences, positive and negative to any business strategy, theirs included. Right now, Giant just lost a high-end purchase for the next few years because of it.

But seriously, go and test ride the Pivot 29er, save the cash, save the stress and save the wait - no regrets, you'll love it.

Oh, and if you don't stuff around with hardtail 26 inch bikes, then don't stuff around on a hardtail 29er.

p.s. I obviously changed my opinion on the plushness of DW-link versus Maestro
    This is funny to me...you have been talking about the Anthem X all this time and end up getting the Pivot 429 which is basically a 29'er Trance X. Keep in mind that 29" wheels make the head angle of the bike feel ~1.5 deg slacker than the same angle on a 26" bike.

I think the Mach 429 is an AWESOME bike but its just not at all what you said you were looking for all along. You just bough a trail bike not a light, nimble racer.

mtbr member
    Presume you guys are trying to help and to prevent me from making the wrong decision - appreciate that. But my mind is made up, the deposit is down, and I am completely happy with the decision I made. (One can always try and get back the deposit after a short time frame provided the retailer has not made any commitments themselves but I have no interest in doing that either.)

I will however make short response to your specific observations. I have certainly considered all the issues you have raised though you are right to raise them. I would not have made the decision without doing so - not wanting to be crass but 'money talks and bulls$it walks' as they say. My evaluation based on my above priorities and the current and foreseeable marketplace is that the 429 is the best thing going. I was pretty scientific about the whole affair - theory and experimentation (the test rides), not just idle theory.

<<<<"But wait, the Mach 429 isn't overly steep, particularly for a 29er and there is a .2" difference in TT between the L Anthem X and the M 429 - did that really make all the difference in the world? I don't get that part :-)

However, I am glad you found your bike, best of luck :-)">>>>

TOP TUBE issue - my ideal TT length is 60.5 cm, and the 429 is certainly closer to that than the L Anthem X; when stock stem lengths are taken into account, the TT length differences get magnified (and i don't believe in drastic stem length alterations for their affect on handling and weight distribution); important to consider the effect of entire bike geometry rather than nit-picking small measurement differences for the sake of it - if it didn't matter i (and the many others who do compromise) would not make such a fuss of not fitting based on the significant sizing gaps between the Anthem X medium and large frame sizes; the medium 429 happens to fit me exceptionally well stock and that is really important for me; so yes, the 429 fits me, and no, the currently available Anthem X bikes do not; I always found the medium Anthem X more bearable (if I ignored the upper back tension) than the large anyway, although the front end has a ridiculous drop from the saddle when I am fitted on it, whereas the 429 has the bars lower than the saddle but in a far more natural position for me; nuanced theory and experiment are revealing here.

<<<<"This is funny to me...you have been talking about the Anthem X all this time and end up getting the Pivot 429 which is basically a 29'er Trance X. Keep in mind that 29" wheels make the head angle of the bike feel ~1.5 deg slacker than the same angle on a 26" bike.

I think the Mach 429 is an AWESOME bike but its just not at all what you said you were looking for all along. You just bough a trail bike not a light, nimble racer.">>>>

HEAD ANGLE OF 429 - I realise that the 71.2 degree head angle of the 429 will have a slackening effect because it is a 29er, putting out a equivalent 26 inch head angle of about 70 degrees which is equivalent to the majority of cross country race bikes on the market (although not the Anthem X which to its credit has a steeper head angle than most cross country race bikes); again the overall effect of the geometry is important here in my opinion; the 429 also has significantly longer chainstays than the Anthem X which is good because that helps to maintain better weight distribution for cornering; the 429 actually has an equivalent chainstay to wheelbase as the medium Anthem X, although large Anthem X has a ratio below what I would consider acceptable for cornering (especially with a shorter stem as I would require); although the wheelbase is longer than the Anthem X bikes (close to 116cm), the relatively steep head angle combined with a superior chainstay to wheelbase ratio mean that cornering performance is maintained, although with a slightly different flavour - although some quickness is sacrificed for stability, it is more than made up for by maintaining equivalent levels of cornering balance and precision, which combined with the 29 inch wheels provide far superior grip, stability and a much better overall cornering experience for cross country riding than the Anthem X for the majority of corners (boring technical switchbacks excepted perhaps) - you'll have to try this out yourself to know

TRAIL BIKE OR RACER - many racers are now cross country racing the Pivot 429, and they are all over the marathon scene; the 429 also works as a great trail bike; of course weight is important to me and I would love to have the lightest bike, but I am not a dedicated racer obsessed with weight, and although I lean more towards a cross country purpose bike than a traditional 'trail bike' the 429 quite apparently has a broader performance envelope than many bikes (the 29 inch wheels probably have some bearing on that); sure the weight is more like the lightest trail bike than the lightest cross country race bike, but both the speed and the ride experience transcends any small difference in the numbers (in many circumstances) through the larger wheels and the amazing frame stiffness (on all Pivot bikes actually) -you'll have to test ride to know how much of difference this can make; so I definitely do not see the bike as simply a 29 inch Trance X - I've ridden plenty of Trance X bikes and they are very different - that said it does not exactly ride like an Anthem X either; it's truly a well rounded cross country bike and not simply a compromise laden 'trail bike' with the slacker head angle cornering performance those bikes often entail; 429s also rip downhill (not DH 'downhill' though) apparently although I have not tried that yet.

SUMMARY - in essence the 429 needs to be considered on its riding and fit merits, and not against highly specific geometry and weight comparisons with 26 inch bikes; the 'riding experience' is more than numbers on paper, although these can be a great guide when you have real experimental riding experience in being able to 'feel' the small changes in geometry; the 429's dimensions exceed our experimental riding knowledge gained from 26 inch bikes which means we need to 'relearn' the numbers of (29 inch) bikes like the 429 in terms of 'feel'; and in thinking about geometry I need to remind myself that the numbers work in concert in a more complex manner than mere side-by-side comparisons can necessarily elucidate; so even in spite of the superior fit (and I received no feedback from Giant on whether a Medium-Large Anthem X is on the cards - it's still a great bike on paper but not for me), i find the performance traits of the 429 more desirable than the Anthem X, and certainly much more desirable than the Trance X - perhaps fast and precise rather than 'quick and nimble', if that's not splitting hairs?

Don't worry, i have not become a 29 inch zealot, the 429 has been considered on its merits and has succeeded all expectations; my evaluation based on my personal requirements have found it to be the best bike in the marketplace for the imminently foreseeable future; no regrets; go try it and see what you think. By the way, I also considered Gary Fisher and Moots on my above post, and their even better chainstay to wheelbase ratios lost out to my other criteria of frame stiffness and the suspension system comparison.

Really everything was considered. The 429 is a fantastic bike. It rides beautifully and I love it. I don't have a bike company so designing my ideal bike is not really on the cards, but the 429 is most definitely the optimal availabe bike in the current and foreseeable marketplace for my requirements.

Hope that eases your doubts and genuine concern for my welfare.
    Last edited by lookin; 04-09-2009 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was not really concerned about you one way or another. I said what I meant....that its funny to me that you ended up with a bike that was different than what you said you wanted...that's it.

I also meant what I said that the 429 is an awesome bike and I am 100% certain you will be happy with it. Post some pics of it when you get it

mtbr member
    no worries, although there are no manufacturing plans for the bike that I originally said I wanted to be built, that I am aware of, and I never had plans to buy an ill-fitting bike (as i have mentioned throughout); the Anthem X which didn't fit i wouldn't have bought anyway unless there were plans for a Medium-Large size in which case that would have been a very good reason to wait, and probably i would have never even thought of test riding a 29er to get a better fit); the Specialized Stumpjumper which did fit i didn't like; the 429 does fit very well, and its the only available truly desirable bike according to my personal performance criteria that actually fits in the foreseeable future, and it is a really amazing bike as we all agree, case closed.

that said, i still think Giant should make the Medium-Large, particularly in their high-end Anthem X bikes where fit and riding position is critical, because there are many people out there who need that size, and people do themselves a disservice to get on a bike that doesn't fit and for which they have to do significant manipulations to stem length and whatnot to get it to "fit", thereby affecting the intended weight distribution and handling, etc, of the bike (same as why they brought out the Medium-Large size for their road bike - small top tube length difference do have a significant overall effect on bike fit; Pinarello even makes 10 road bike frame sizes compared to Giant's 6!). so my 'campaign' out there to Giant for this purpose does not end, my purchase just adds one more statistic to the lost purchases Giant will never be able collate the evidence for unless they tune into the customer needs in a far more sensitive manner. naturally the next couple of seasons will prove whether they do.

so I definitely still support the joint case to encourage Giant to make a Medium-Large Anthem X. no doubt i will be back in the marketplace several years down the track, and i will again consider what is available, including how Giant have reacted to our collective customer feedback about sizing, among other factors. this forum is seriously a great free resource that they should and it sounds like they might actually be taking advantage of, noting Andrew's increasing presence on the threads (hoping that has customer feedback ramifications as well as marketing ones).

take care and it sounds like i will have to conform and post pics pretty soon - i guess i appreciate it seeing other's rides too

out.

mtbr member
    the new space
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesnít work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness.

- Emo Philips -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interestingly enough Craig is running a high volume air can on his RP23.

I wonder if there is something to it and if it improves the xc ride.
    Turner Burner, Polished
    Salsa Mariachi 2
    Salsa Mukluk 2 Custom
    Bucksaw - Future Ride

mtbr member
    Better small bump compliance? More linear compression stroke?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    He's running a 2010 RP23 with a boost valve for variable compression damping through the stroke. That should let him run the HV can for better small bump compliance without bottoming. He also runs different compression platforms so he has access to much stiffer compression when he wants it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Giant Anthem2 as a 29er?

Please advise...I'm interested in having a set of custom wheels made for my Anthem 2. It's a 22 inch frame (I beleive the largest available). Question: Has anyone ever set up an Anthem 2 as a 29er? Will a 700c rim with 25 tires fit? I tend to ride longer distances (50 miles), primarily on rough roads and am already using "Fat Boy" slicks on the stock rims...I'm hoping to increase my cycling range by 10%.

mtbr member
    as requested...

(the lighting is bad but you get the drift)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I guess we'll have to start a new thread titled "The Real Giant Anthem X Advanced SL Thread".

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I guess we'll have to start a new thread titled "The Real Giant Anthem X Advanced SL Thread".
    LOL