Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Apparently, he's already cracked it.

http://velonews.com/photo/89282

Probably just an unfortunate lighting effect, as I can't imagine they'd let a photo of a crack in the frame to be published. Right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    Probably just an unfortunate lighting effect, as I can't imagine they'd let a photo of a crack in the frame to be published. Right?
    Looks like a reflection

Heís got a really nicely kitted out bike there with the 15QR and prototype Shimano and Chris King bits. Iíll have to try 1x9 on my bike soon, see if there anything to it. Anyway, nice to finally see one built up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    looks like I am going to have to hold off on building an alum verison. that thing is sweet

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Not a crack, guys--just a reflection.
    There's no way we would have allowed Pacocha to shoot a cracked frame.

This is Adam's generation 2 prototype which is 85% of the way to a final production frame.
    While we're still making small changes, what you see here a close to what you'll be able to buy later this summer.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantBicycle
    While we're still making small changes, what you see here a close to what you'll be able to buy later this summer.

Thanks.
    No, thank you.

Narrowing the q-factor with modern cranks on XC race bikes is something I've wanted for some time. It's true, Cannondale is already doing it, but I wish the industry could agree on some kind of standard. This one sounds promising, maybe it's the future?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

For me it looks like lacquer craked, because the edges looks quiet sharp.

Ant the bike is awesome. Now there is a question how much it will weight. Anxious to know that.

bi-winning
    Is it really going to be called ...X Andvanced SL? That's a little much IMO.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Considering that there is currently no Anthem X Advanced to make Super Light, I have to agree. And even if there was, it's still clumsy. Probably wouldn't stop me from getting one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm speechless. I love that bike. Maybe I should hold on to the money and not spend them on the XTC advanced SL and wait. But when will it be in the shops? And will be offered world wide?

Cycle Solutions
    Not a crack, guys--just a reflection.
    There's no way we would have allowed Pacocha to shoot a cracked frame.

This is Adam's generation 2 prototype which is 85% of the way to a final production frame.

Thanks.

Late this summer?? Is that some sort of a sick joke. I'm still waiting for my aluminum model. This bike probably won't reach North America until late spring 2010.

Edit: sorry I mis-read your post. Sure you'll be able to buy the Anthem X Advanced SL late this summer....... but it won't actually reach your bike shop until May.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    I'm still waiting for my aluminum model.
    Does Giant hate you?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member

Looks like a scratch in the clear coat and a bit of a chip in the resin. Probably nothing.
    Pinning it since 76'

Cycle Solutions
    It would appear that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I realize it doesn't quite roll of the tongue, but you do have to admit that it makes sense?

All of our bike names are structured in this formula: SERIES, FRAME TECHNOLOGY, MODEL.

So, because this new Anthem X bike uses Advanced SL-grade composite, its proper name would be Anthem X Advanced SL 0 or Anthem X Advanced SL 1....and so on.

Plus, 'Wicked Fat Chance' was already taken...kidding.

Andrew---

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I realize it doesn't quite roll of the tongue, but you do have to admit that it makes sense?

All of our bike names are structured in this formula: SERIES, FRAME TECHNOLOGY, MODEL.

So, because this new Anthem X bike uses Advanced SL-grade composite, its proper name would be Anthem X Advanced SL 0 or Anthem X Advanced SL 1....and so on.

Andrew---
    As some one that works at a Giant dealer, I love Giant's naming structure.

So easy even a shop rat can do it

bi-winning

Andrew---
    Ok, makes sense. The name hardly matters anyway. May not sound smooth, but it clearly identifies the bike.

rkj__
    rider of a 2005 NRS

(yeah, just NRS, no C, 1, 2, 3, air, X, Advanced, SL...)

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I'm wondering if that new King drop in headset is a viable replacement for the Cane Creek on the current anthem advanced frames? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I will be very interested to see how much lighter this frame is over the ally version, my guess will be max 200g, 1/4 lb at best. As we all know the last Advanced was no lighter than the ally one and in fact this years anthem x ally frame is around 1/4lb lighter than last years advanced carbon. I raced a advanced last year, and really liked the carbon ride qualities, smoother than the alloy version, however the current X is so good, if the carbon X is not significantly lighter i will stick alloy. In the current climate i can imagine the new x carbon being serious money, so it needs to be light !.

Cycle Solutions
    I agree. There hasn't been enough difference between Alu and carbon models in the past to justify the 300% frame price increase. Carbon ride quality only means so much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think you are going to be on the money with 300% too ! lol, its going to be serious money, i reckon the carbon frame will cost about the same as a brand new X1 complete bike, which, lets be honest makes it silly money. I hope i am woring, i.e. its about 1lb lighter than the ally ! (not possible in reality) and costs only at worse double that of the ally one (also a pipe dream) ;o). If its going to come in that black and white colour, its going to look awesome though ! ;o)

Cycle Solutions
    Don't get me wrong. The carbon rides awesome and I will very likely be on one when it comes out in reality (May 2010 if I am lucky). Just take Giants weight claims and delivery promises with a grain of salt. It will probably be 150 grams lighter than the Alu.

mtbr member
    May 2006

My question when it comes to carbon frames...

I'm 195-200 lbs (naked), and I would guess that's too heavy for a carbon frame...but is it too heavy for any XC carbon frame? Santa Cruz says there's no weight limit for their new carbon Blur XC. Will Giant put a weight limit on this new Anthem X Advanced SL? Have they done that in the past? Just curious...

Cycle Solutions
    Giant doesn't put weight limits on their bikes. Part of the reason their frames aren't super light.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Is that true for their carbon frames?...No weight limits?

P.S. Any feedback on the durability of the Anthem X pivots, links, etc? Does anyone know how long the bearings can go before they need to be replaced/serivced? I bought my Anthem X in early December 2008.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast