mtbr member

Giant Anthem X 29er 4.0 - $1,650 - should I buy?

Today, I found an Anthem X 29er 4.0 for $1,650. It weighed in at 29.75 pounds. Seems like a pretty good deal - but is that a bit heavy for an Anthem 29er? I thought I saw on this forum that some others were weighing in at 28 pounds and less but maybe those were the 2.0 and up. The guy also mentioned that next year, they will have 9 versions of the Anthem X. Maybe I should just wait till next years model comes out in October. But I do miss riding oh so much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    29.75 lbs is not bad based on the component spec. My medium '11 X2 (same as the X1 this year) weighed just ove 27 lbs, but cost $1000 more. I'm recommending the X4 to my cousin as an awesome first-time MTB as he won't need to upgrade for awhile, if ever. Btw, $1650 is a pretty good price.

mtbr member
    Not a bad price, but do you intend to upgrade it? Never ending question, buy what you can afford now and upgrade as you break stuff or dive in the deep end? I do like the 2x drivetrain setup, oddly the x2 version has 3x. Weird.
    Anyway. I bought my 11 Trance X4 shopping a price point. I've upgraded quite a bit, so essentially I've paid for many components twice. Just something to think about. That said, I've heard good stuff about the anthem 29er and whatever version you chose should be a blast. Enjoy!
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Thats a good price for an X4, really comes down to what level of components you need to have I think...
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    I just bought a anthem x4, and its a great bike. I'm coming from a specialized hardrock, and let me tell you world of difference.
    I think its a great platform to really get serious about riding.
    Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah - seems like weight is a hard thing to pin down. Perhaps due to manufacturing differences, not every bike weighs the same even though it is the same model. Kind of complicates things, doesn't it.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    Yeah - seems like weight is a hard thing to pin down. Perhaps due to manufacturing differences, not every bike weighs the same even though it is the same model. Kind of complicates things, doesn't it.
    Na, these days manufacturing differences dont account for much weight, not a noticeable amount anyway. Yours is spot on for a #4 build. The guys who are lighter than you have lighter more $ components and have upgraded parts etc. You could do the same on your #4 but it can get costly...

mtbr member
    Yeah, that would kind of defeat the purpose of saving money to buy #4 only to spend the same amount of money to upgrade to #2 weight. I suppose going tubeless is a cheap alteration which can save about a pound.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    Yeah, that would kind of defeat the purpose of saving money to buy #4 only to spend the same amount of money to upgrade to #2 weight. I suppose going tubeless is a cheap alteration which can save about a pound.
    Yes correct, good thing about the anthem is that the suspension performs better than most others in the areas of bob and squat so a little extra weight is an acceptable price to pay for a more efficient suspension design.

Tubeless might save a few grams but prob nothing close to a lb, because your removing tubes but adding rim tape, strips and sealant... Still worth it IMO though