mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Giant Anthem with Fox F100?

Is anyone out there riding an Anthem with a 100mm travel fork? I like almost everything about this bike, except for the 72 degree HT angle. I believe there is approximately 15mm difference between the axle-to-crown heights of the 80mm travel Manitou R7 and the Fox F100RLT. At least that's what I measured at a shop the other day, sag not accounted for.

Also, while Giant's website states that the ST angle for an 18" frame is 73 degrees, The review in the latest issue of MBA has it at 74. Perhaps Giant is accounting for sag or are they providing inaccurate info on their website again? If it is indeed 72HT/73ST, I'd be afraid of making the ST angle too shallow with the Fox fork, making a longer stem necessary, and I'd probably end up sitting too far forward.

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'm no authority on the subject - so feel free to flame me - but i don't know you'd notice the difference with 1 degree either way, especially once you start riding offroad, with your posture and the terrain constantly changing.

as a roadie, i can understand why people can be pedantic, but for MTBing, shouldn't be such a big deal.

so the usual pros and cons arise when you increase the fork travel. many people - myself included - run 100mm forks on their NRS's, and love it this way. i figure the Anthem will tolerate the change too.

can you change the travel on the F100 (with altering internal spacers)? at least this may give you the option to change if need-be.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I believe you can change the travel on the F100, however, I would also prefer to have the 100mm up front.

I'm currently on my 2nd fork on my 2004 stumpjumper hardtail. The first was a 2001 Manitou SX-R. Besides having absolutely no small bump sensitivity and being about as stiff as an overcooked angel-hair, It was about 20mm shorter than the SID Specialized spec'd on that bike. It was a leftover. I replaced it with the R7, which is about the same length as the SID. It made a quite noticeable, and positive, difference in stability in almost all conditions. Plus, the frame is slightly large for me, so I'm a bit stretched out on it. Moving the seat forward slightly has had little effect on my center of gravity.

The 18" Anthem has a .8 inch shorter top tube than my current frame--that's good. So naturally I'm hesitant to mess around with what is a nearly perfect fit for me.

But it's good to hear that you and others are riding 100mm forks on bikes designed for 80. I should get over my obsessive nature and just try it and see what happens.

Giant Anthem Rider

No noticeable change in position...

but I believe the change in handling will be slightly noticeable. Most frames are spec'd as compatible with 80-100mm forks. Going with the 100 fork will indeed decrease the ht angle by a degree which may be good. All the reviews I've read for the Anthem say the HT angle may be too steep making for very quick steering and providing for some nervous white knuckle descending. A slightly slacker HT would give you more stability and faster descending which is a theory that more racers are using. Cannondale's Sauser (Men's #1 XC World Cup) is running a custom Scapel frame that has a slacker HT angle to give more overall stability and descending. His bike was profiled in Mbaction a few months back.

I'm planning to make the Anthem my next XC rig and plan to run a 100mm fork. My brother runs a Giant XTC hardtail with a Skareb 100mm fork. He says it handles better and he appreciates the additional travel in the front. He had to run his stem lower to compensate for the slightly higher ride height of the front, but it has worked out great.

mtbr member
    i run 100mm on my NRS Team, i am going to run 100mm on my Anthem when the frame arrives.t

mtbr member
    I have over 100 miles on my Anthem 2 and did a 4 man team 24h race 60 miles on a Anthem 1 demo bike from Giant. It is a very stable downhiller It dosent fell like a scechy race bike and its very surefooted and stable at speed and in the rocks. Maybe its the new R-Seven fork im not sure but I love this bike and I owend a Trance and a Reign and the Anthem is my fav so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ...so do you think a 100mm fork would be good or bad?

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

mtbr member
    I think that it will be fine. It will make it a more stable platform, but still an excellent XC race bike.

mtbr member
    well it is certainly true of my NRS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i agree - based only on speculation - but was curious as to whether gambo had an opinion given he's given the anthem a good ride.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

mtbr member

Good job!

I think the 100mm fork would work fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks all. You've fortified my resolve--a shop salesman was trying to scare me out of it the other day--I should know better.