Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    It's about showing up.

Giant Anthem Advanced 1

The bike came a month earlier than I expected. Yay!

Large, out of the box=24 pounds 15 ounces.

I swapped out the OEM seatpost and bars for Syntace P6 and vector Highrise carbon. Went tubeless (gorilla tape, wtb valves, notube sealant) and added XTR pedals. 25 lbs, 1 ounce.

Too dark to ride much.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Giant Anthem Advanced 1

You didn't want to use the DT Swiss kit for tubeless? I had the shop do the tubeless setup for me at delivery and I find it holds air better than my old UST wheel/tire combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm keen to read a ride report, and how the Syntace post is.

Your Best Friend
    Congrats BM, If I'm not mistaken...this is your first new bike in a long while?

It's about showing up.
    My last new bike was a velocipede. No, actually a 2005 Stumpy Pro which I never loved. My go-to bike was my '95 Bontrager Racelite made of steel tubes. I rode everywhere on her but now she beats me up and I wasn't enjoying the riding. The Anthem had nice XC geometry and had the shorter travel and light weight I wanted.

My mechanic did the tires his way and, while I know a lot about bikes, I have no strong opinions about tubeless and let him do what he wanted. Sooo not an issue.

The wheel thing will work itself out. I just need to ride the dang bike, ditz around with the position of the controls and such. I just might be able to ride it later today but I'm probably going to work the seat position; I use my Bonti for reference, ride up and down the street, futz, ride some more. It will tell me about whether the stem is right. I'll get out tomorrow morning.

No one showed up for class to today so I threw the bike out into the studio and played around with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Anthem Advanced 1-anthem2542.jpg  

I don't rattle.

Your Best Friend
    It's always fun to get a new bike. I have a 94 Bontrager Race, full Xtr, very fun bike but it is only a complimentary bike to my nicer one's. Definitely not my go to bike.

mtbr member
    I've had my Anthem Advanced one for a little over a month. My last bike was a 1996 Trek built Bontrager which I got in 1996. Here they are together
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  12.7 KB

mtbr member
    i went to my LBS to buy an Anthem 3 27.5, test rode the Anthem Advanced 1 and I was blown away. It didnt even feel like the bikes should have the same name! I need to save a few more bucks but im definitely going with the Advanced 1! It felt like a short travel playful little brother to my Stumpjumper carbon. Its actually what im looking for.

The medium I rode was 25.6lbs with test pedals and reflectors. I plan on setting it up tubeless and adding a dropper post. I also love to try a Pike dual position in 120 mode. Its an amazing fork and would slack it out a bit.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Last mtb was a 1999 atx 890; had since new. Sold it a few weeks back.
    It's a touch choice choosing between the 27 and 29er.
    I preferred the 29er on the short test rides I did, but that may be as I've been riding a road bike for the last few months.
    But the black 27.5 looks awesome.

Tough choice.

It's about showing up.
    I ride mostly XC so that geometry was key and I did not need a lot of travel. Comfort and responsiveness were important. I value agility and as I am not a huge upper body guy weight was important. Wheel size, the way it felt in the steering, and wheelbase when it came time to carve were main factors.

So…100mm DS, Carbon fiber, 27.5.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Anthem Advance 1 First Ride
    90 minutes. 12 miles, 1600 ft.

New bike is so not the old bike: a classic steel XC HT racer; Bontager Racelite

With all the carbon and suspension it’s a little hard to feel the ground.
    The bigger wheel must smooth things out, too. Much more comfortable than Bonti except for the wide bar popular today.

Double-checked seat position but feels okay. Adjusted position of controls. Going from V-brakes (XTR/ceramic rims) to hydraulic XTs is a trip but I had a little experience with hydraulics on my sons Yeti Arc Racer, a 29er Spot, and a TallBoy. So the one-finger thing was okay. Somehow front braking seems remarkably effective. Right Shifter is precise but feels ”crunchy” in the shifter itself. Just a little thing. Not slow as with a dirty/worn cable housing but not as elegantly crisp as the old broken-in XTRs and XTs I have had in the past. Front shifting seems really clean. Taller gearing at the low end makes work for me as I use a stump-puller on steep climbs. Top speed seemed okay.

Handling was not as quick as my Bontrager with a slightly more slack head tube angle and just over 2 inches longer in the wheelbase. Also I think my stem is a bit long. It doesn’t have the floppy wheel feel of a 29er though and was still nimble in the twisties and got up to speed quickly. It compares to the Carbon Tallboy in geometry and wheelbase but that was a 29er. Tires grip if given a chance. Stays planted on climbs. Wants to slide in the rear on steep downs. Slower pawl engagement than my Chris Kings but okay.

After a while I felt quite sure once on top of the bar and driving the front wheel. I’ll wait and see on bar width/stem as it worked after a while.

There is a lot to learn but this bike will be just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Anthem Advanced 1-aa1984.jpg  

I don't rattle.

Your Best Friend
    Do you have a Shimano clutch rear derailleur? If so, try switching it off to see if that helps the feeling at the shifter. The biggest reason I don't like clutch rear d's is they significantly change the tension at the shifter.

It's about showing up.
    I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure I mind it; just something I noticed.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    totally up to you and your riding preference, but consider doing one or both of the following (in order)

1. slam stem, get spacers above the stem.
    2. reverse the stem to change the angle, thereby lowering it.

that will give you a lot more down force and sharpen up steering. climbing will be much better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Anthem Advance 1 First Ride
    90 minutes. 12 miles, 1600 ft.

....Handling was not as quick as my Bontrager with a slightly more slack head tube angle and just over 2 inches longer in the wheelbase. Also I think my stem is a bit long. It doesn’t have the floppy wheel feel of a 29er though and was still nimble in the twisties and got up to speed quickly. It compares to the Carbon Tallboy in geometry and wheelbase but that was a 29er. Tires grip if given a chance. Stays planted on climbs. Wants to slide in the rear on steep downs. Slower pawl engagement than my Chris Kings but okay.

After a while I felt quite sure once on top of the bar and driving the front wheel. I’ll wait and see on bar width/stem as it worked after a while.

There is a lot to learn but this bike will be just fine.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    totally up to you and your riding preference, but consider doing one or both of the following (in order)

1. slam stem, get spacers above the stem.
    2. reverse the stem to change the angle, thereby lowering it.

that will give you a lot more down force and sharpen up steering. climbing will be much better for it.
    Thanks for the insight. My grips are already 2.5 inches below my seat. The relative lack of apparent quickness is the larger wheel and the longer wheelbase compared to a very quick bike I have been riding for years. No way a larger bike with heavier wheels with more lateral force (weight being further from the axle) will steer as quick as a 26 inch classic XC racer.

I had a chance to ride a few nice 29ers. I noticed that same slow effect; the steering wheel felt floppy. It revealed to my why people like the wide bars; they're used to compensate for the extra force from the wheel. Never needed that on a quick steering 26-inch steel racer.

Most of what I am experiencing comes form changing from one type of bike to a very different type of bike. Went out today with my wife of a JRA on some very familiar ground. There were places I attacked hard. I notice that the wheels take more time to spin up than a 26 but less than the 29er. Roll and retained momentum is greater. This is hardly news but it is new to me.

What I am realizing is that it will take me a while to find the "center" of this bike. I feel the lack as I try to bunny hop or launch a bit. Positioning fore/aft will take some time to understand. Not being a particularly powerful upper body guy my cockpit has to place my hands a little closer. That done, and finding the center, I'll be able to get the best out of the bike.

Going from a 22/32/42:11-34 to a 26/38:11-36 will take some relearning, too. So reviewing this bike, whatever a "bike" is; the sum of its parts, is seen through a filter of changing wheel and bike size, technology, and old habits that have become second nature. For now I will just ride the damned thing and get to the bottom of a pretty sweet ride. I am confident that will happen.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 11-29-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Giant Anthem Advanced 1

You'll get used to 2 x 10 pretty quick. 3x 10 is obsolete for most places. I go back to it now and all the bad chain lines and continually changing front rings gets frustrating

It's about showing up.
    As with all sorts of older tech my habits have been built around them and avoid their pitfalls.

Riding today I found that the distance between ratios in one shift were unpleasantly large. On the other had on particular piece of ground I found charging into the ravine, dropping 2 gears and accelerating out was clean and effective. So I figure that I will adapt.

The clutch that keeps the der more stiff sure was nice keeping any chainslap at a bay during very fast, bumpy/rocky sections.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 11-30-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    My experience with a clutch rear der was that after about a hundred miles the shifting got a little better. But I had to adjust the tension on the shifter several times on that hundred miles, not sure if it had anything to do with it or not.

Have you considered 1x11? Takes some more weight off the bike and I know several guys lately that have gone from 3x9 to 1x10 and 1x11 and have no regrets.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

It's about showing up.
    Well, madsedan, come over to my house and well go ride in the canyon and do some of those 20%+ climbs. We'll see how well 1x11 does.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I did a summer full of steep 3-5k climbs with xx1. No issues at all and running a 32t front ring is nearly as low as my old 2x10 setup with a 24t granny. Zero dropped chains with no guide and a silent drivetrain even on the roughest descents makes it worth every penny. Im never going back to a 2x or 3x setup.

I know the Anthem will be a great climber, but im curious about the descents. I noticed on my test ride "climb" mode on the shock felt like a hardtrail and even full open was pretty firm. Im use to 5-6" FSR bikes which are generally very plush feeling, so the Anthem would just be a different style of riding. I mainly want one to replace my 29er HT for rolling XC type trails, but id love to be able to bomb a few more aggressive trails if the bike and wheels can handle it.

I was also talking the SRAM rep about running a 2014 Pike dual position in the 120 mode on the Anthem and he said the will run just as smooth at 120 as it doe at 150 or 160.

I basically would love a 100-120mm 27.5 or 29er with a 68 degree HT angle that pedaled efficently and was fun and playful. The Anthem Advanced is the closest thing to that Ive found.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I basically would love a 100-120mm 27.5 or 29er with a 68 degree HT angle that pedaled efficently and was fun and playful. The Anthem Advanced is the closest thing to that Ive found.
    Sounds like you are describing a Santa Cruz 5010, 27.5 wheels, 125mm rear travel, 68 degree head angle and very efficient peddler.

mtbr member
    I actually rode the 5010 back to back with the Anthem Advanced, and I like the fit and feel of the Anthem MUCH better. The 5010 I rode had a 130 fork and rode a little too similar to my Stumpjumper. It was not as light and as quick feeling as the Anthem. I feel like the Anthem could be a setup to be a fast and fun XC racer too if I decided to do an event or two.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post

I did a summer full of steep 3-5k climbs with xx1. No issues at all and running a 32t front ring is nearly as low as my old 2x10 setup with a 24t granny. Zero dropped chains with no guide and a silent drivetrain even on the roughest descents makes it worth every penny. Im never going back to a 2x or 3x setup.

I am one of those twisted devotees of climbing. I don't mind long climbs but I am not talking about long but steep. I doubt that you are doing 3-5K climbs at 10-15-20%. If you are then you are posting in the wrong forum.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Here is a common climb we do in the summer:
    Strava Segment | Ranger Creek Grind

It's a 10% average grade, but it gets much steeper in several sections. It's 4.5 miles of suffer. Two of my ridding buddies are also on xx1, coming from 2x10 setups and I've never heard anyone say they needed a lower gear.

There is also a local climb that has a 20% average grade that is only half a mile long, and xx1 (32t front) is still plenty. I had 24t/36t front rings on my old 2x10 setup and I really dont notice a big difference in the lowest gear. I'm not the greatest climb by any means, but I'm pretty sure the Anthem would be a much better climber than my 6" bike and would be amazing with xx1.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

It's about showing up.
    Ok, fair enough, but plenty for YOU.
    I don't rattle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast