Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    61

    Giant adjustable seatpost cable pull

    It seems like lately when I pull the lever to adjust my giant adjustable seatpost, I have to pull very hard and it's not smooth at all. Should I use some silicon grease to spray in the lever cable area a bit?

    Thanks for your advise.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Your cable might need some maintenance. Yes, silicon will help.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    54
    I work on these Contact seat posts almost every day. Your cable needs to be removed and have a light dab of lube applied to it. Also the cable running through the seat post is way too tight. Loosen it up a notch and tighten back down again. It should pop up and down instantly.

  4. #4
    Woodlot local
    Reputation: BobRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by JTAC View Post
    I work on these Contact seat posts almost every day. Your cable needs to be removed and have a light dab of lube applied to it. Also the cable running through the seat post is way too tight. Loosen it up a notch and tighten back down again. It should pop up and down instantly.
    How do you access the cable through the post?

    Any pictures or instructions?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRocket View Post
    How do you access the cable through the post?

    Any pictures or instructions?
    I don't have any pictures...but I can take some tomorrow morning.

    To access the cable it's easier if the switch is attached to the handlebars. On the right side of the dropper post there is a bolt that tightens/loosens the clamps that hold the seat in place (think it's a #6 allen key). Loosen this area all the way, the clamps will pop off (2 clamps on each side and a spring about an inch long). From there you can see the cable. On the left side, take a #2 allen wrench and loosen by 2 full turns.

    Press the switch for the dropper post down and push on the dropper post. If the post stays in the down position, press the switch again. It should spring back up much faster this time. Now tighten the small screw that you slightly loosened. Test the dropper again, then push on the dropper (by itself) to be sure it doesn't go down on it's on.

    If all that works, reassemble the clamps and you're done.
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

    Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

  6. #6
    Woodlot local
    Reputation: BobRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    485
    Thanks for the reply

    When you said inside the post I thought you meant accessing the internals of the post.

    I'd like to know how to service it myself.

    Have a good one.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRocket View Post
    Thanks for the reply

    When you said inside the post I thought you meant accessing the internals of the post.

    I'd like to know how to service it myself.

    Have a good one.
    Accessing the internals where the cable and housing feed into.
    Current:
    2013 Giant Trance X2 29er

    Previous:
    2012.5 Giant Anthem X4 29er (SOLD)
    2013 Giant Trance X1 29er (SOLD)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    . thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •