mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Giant AC Air - Front Forks

Hey, I'm looking to pick up my first part to get my new bike going. And that lucky part is going to be the front fork. I know this is crucial, and I'd like to make the right decision for my riding style. As of now, my riding style is mainly around campus taking whatever drops I can find- about 3 feet or so. I'm aiming to take 6 foot drops in the future though (ocassionally). I weigh 140 lbs, and am looking for an air shock. What are some front forks I should look into? This bike will mainly be used on average trails, nothing too intense, but when it comes down to urban riding, I want to beat the hell out of it, lol

spinner
    Hmmm 6ft drops on an AC ? Keep an eye on the headtube and chainstays , they have a tendency of breaking there when doing big stuff , especially the chainstays which break where they are welded to the pivot yoke at the front.

For the forks , I think the only option would be Fox 36's.

I'm running Pike team airs on my Reign which are nice and stiff due to the maxle , but they have an alloy steerer tube and hollow crown. I wouldn't trust them under those conditions. Sweet fork , but. Maybe a Pike SL air (426) which have a cromo steerer tube and solid crown .(at least they did have in 05) Best to check that before buying an 06 Pike.

The other option would be a Marzocchi fork , but I'm not up with the latest models , so can't say much about them.

mtbr member
    I concur with Pinky- the AC might not cope to well with 6' drops. Another fork to consider may be the new Manitou Travis (I believe that's what they're called). 8" of travel and it's single crown.

mtbr member
    On the contraray I'd say that both Pike and AC frame should do good on 6feet drop !to a decent tranny! Pike is not a bad choice, but I'd go for sth. with bigger travel, new Marz 66, Fox 36, Boxxer Ride ??
    Passion beyond reason!

Members who have read this thread: 0