Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Tactical Nightmare

Idea! Giant in 2015? Ideas? Thoughts? Predictions?

Similar to the thread I started in January 2013, I thought I would kick off another looking ahead to 2015 for Giant.

Obviously, 2013 (model year 2014) was a huge year for Giant, and quite possibly the biggest year for them in terms of product changes, introductions, innovations, and massive industry shifts with wheel size changes. So far, the new Giant line-up is getting pretty good reviews from the press as well as the end user, which is great to see for sure.

With all that said though, what are your thoughts as to where Giant will go for the 2015 model year that we will see later this year? Will remaining bikes that were unchanged get refreshed for 2015, like the Glory or the Reign? Will 27.5 enter into the downhill bike? Will the 29er go away completely?

My only guess at this point is an all-new, 160mm travel front and rear, Reign 27.5. Tell me that wouldn’t be a sweet, all-mountain machine that would instantly rival the likes of the Bronson!

Thoughts? Ideas? Concepts? What will Giant bring for 2015?

For reference, here is the 2014 thread, started 1/2013:

It's not too early! Giant in 2014?
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

Epic rider

Re: Giant in 2015? Ideas? Thoughts? Predictions?

I hope for an Anthem X29 advanced sl with slightly shorter chainstays and a bit longer top tube (reach) and a bit slacker headtube (for use with shorter stem).
    But I fear it will not be realised (Turner Czar...?)
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Giant in 2015? Ideas? Thoughts? Predictions?

Carbon trance x 29er
    Revamped anthem x 29 with single spar rear chain stay, slightly slacker head angle with internal routing and new pivots from 27.5 models.
    Trail geo hardtail to match the trek stache

All with shimmano electronic shifting 1x 11 xtr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You guys are silly, Giant already announced 29ers are dead.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I don't know where people get the idea that 29ers are dead. Giant said they didn't feel like 3 wheel sizes were sustainable. I can take that same statement and make it mean that if 27.5 bikes don't sell the way they want them to, they'll kill them off and go back to just 26 and 29. By the same token, it looks to me, given the current lineup, that it's more likely the 26 inch wheel goes away than the 29er.

That said, my prediction for 2015 is if Giant doesn't come up with more component/price packages like this: Altitude Rally Edition | Rocky Mountain Bicycles then they won't be selling me a bike. Because honestly, I just can't bring myself to shell out money for any of the current trance packages.

Your Best Friend
    Giant will realize how stupid the all in jump to 27.5 was. They'll be forced to re balance their line up with the high end 29ers they got rid of.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You guys are silly, Giant already announced 29ers are dead.
    I tend to agree with this, and I do think 29ers for Giant will go away prior to the 26 going away, at least for the Glory. Did you see this video? I think it is pretty clear about Giant's intentions on the 29er.

mtbr member
    No, I don't think that video makes anything about their intentions clear regarding 29ers. It states they are committed to 27.5, that they've been testing a 27.5 Glory. Yes, he said "the advantages are clear even on cross country, even on hard tails" but if you watched Giants world cup XC riders, some of them used 27.5 and went back to 29" bikes, or switched depending on the courses.

No where have I heard anything that indicates the death of the 29" Giant bike any moreso than the death of the 26" Giant. In fact, the death of the 26" Giant seems much more likely to me, given that:

26" Trance no longer available
    26" Anthem no longer available
    Both still available in 29er.

In fact, the ONLY 26" Giants still available for 2014 that I'm aware of are the Reign X and the Glory, and they are the only models unavailable so far in 27.5. I think you people are reading this completely backwards.

mtbr member
    In fact, I'll go one further. Part of the reason I'm holding off on buying a 27.5 Trance, in addition to the fact that I don't like the component specs and price points on any of them, is that I'm hold out hope next year will bring a 27.5 Reign X. There. I said it.

Tactical Nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    In fact, I'll go one further. Part of the reason I'm holding off on buying a 27.5 Trance, in addition to the fact that I don't like the component specs and price points on any of them, is that I'm hold out hope next year will bring a 27.5 Reign X. There. I said it.
    We are on the same page on this for sure. I was really amped to get a 2014, but after more and more research, I decided to wait and see what the 2015 lineup brings. Either the spec will change on the existing stuff, or my hope, a 27.5 Reign. Worst case, I can always get a 2014 left over for a deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Trance, or more so the SX already meets the Bronson head on (or bests it) as far as I can tell, not having road any SC bikes but just by reviews and impressions here. A 27.5 Reign X might end up the sickest Freeride/slopes style ride short of a full on Glory. It seems to me that the Trance was meant to replace the Reign (which it did pretty well I think) and be the one bike to fill the Trail, All Mountain, and Enduro categories. I would argue they missed a bit on the Trail, but definitely got the AM and Enduro segment nailed. But that depends on you definition of a Trail bike.

For the trails in the area I sell bikes, and for our average customer I see a gaping hole in their line up between the Anthem and the Trance 27.5, based on my impressions of a test ride of the a 3. Now I am just the wrench and do some sales, so take that as you may. But it seems like it's the cheapest Trances are the FS bikes that sell the best for us. The new 27.5s haven't moved, save for one. What I would like to see is the Yukon brought back. Give it 27.5" wheels, full Maestro (the last Yukon had some weird not quiet that actually worked just fine), 120mm of travel and the Talon's geometry (or as close as you can get). A full X5 9spd drivetrain, Suntour Raidon fork or X-Fusion equivalent, and generic Giant shock, and a price of $1500-$1700. Offer a nicer version as well for $2500 and boom. The perfect trail ripper for this area, but with the noobs in mind. Call it a sport level bike if you want. That's cool. By the time you grow into and then out of that bike you'll know which way you'll want to go for your next bike. It'd be nice if they offered a frameset too.

But that's just my take, and I don't order bikes. Hell, I'm usually deliberately left out of that conversation.
    Last edited by jazclrint; 01-08-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    My pick is at least some frames designed for 1X drivetrains. And possibly better in-house wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i think most likely a 28.5 wheel size lol

Small Lunged, Big Bellied
    Nov 2010
    I'm betting they drop the 29er in all models with the exception of the Revel and the Anthem in various but limited models. I'd hope for a Anthem Advanced 29er, and Anthem 29er. I think the Trance will be all 27.5.

All else will be 27.5 for off-roading except maybe the Glory.

There's no internal development, but I think Giant could offer a Fat bike with little difficulty to counter Specialized's entry into that market. It might be worthwhile just as a conversation piece at retail. Giant Fat Tire bike ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not certain they will get rid of the Trance 29er. It and the Trance 27.5 are very different bikes. The Trance 29er may be one of the best trail bikes on the market. I feel the 27.5 Trance is not a trail bike but an AM/Enduro. But that is the area I am in and comparing the cheapest versions of the bikes. If Giant gets rid of the Trance 29er I'll have to recommend the GT's Sensor.

Since the Talon 27.5s came out and GT's 2014 Karakoram line up was priced so well, we haven't sold that many Revels. We sold some Talon 29ers early on but that faded. I actually would be surprised to see any sport level 29er HTs in the 2015 model year.

I am more curious about the XTC carbon 29ers. There are so many really good carbon 29er HTs on the marker, and the XTC 27.5 is the only one I know of with the "modern XC geo" (my term). A similar thing might be said for the Anthems. The 27.5 customer is a different customer. Why compete with everyone for the 29er XC customer when you can have the 27.5 one all to yourself?

Singletracks say that over 60% of riders are on AM bikes, so just how big is the XC market?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I would personally prefer more development of 29'ers like the Anthem. Shorter chainstays. Convertible rear end. Back to Rock Shox unless Fox brings back LSC adjustments on their forks. If no development then at least continued production of current quick steering anthem X29 especially the Advanced 1 and 0.

I can't predict what they will do. I am curious to see what they do with the 27.5 stuff. I'd like to know how the sales went. I rode a 27.5 Anthem and while it was good, I then rode my 29'er and I didn't feel I preferred the 27.5 bike.

mtbr member
    Ive been messaging Adam Craig about his personal experience with the Anthem andTrance 27.5. His response was a trance can do it all. Very well rounded bike. As for the Anthem he said a rocket ship. Cant go wrong with either. But what he did mention in our exchanges of messages, was he's pushing Giant to come up with a Anthem 27.5 with 120mm travel front and rear with a dropper. His current Anthem Advanced has a 120mm fork and he loves it. Almost a do all bike that can handle anything. But the 100mm rear travel limits it on some of the trails.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

DFMBA.org

Re: Giant in 2015? Ideas? Thoughts? Predictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Giant will realize how stupid the all in jump to 27.5 was. They'll be forced to re balance their line up with the high end 29ers they got rid of.
    I agree with foe here. The 29" was a sea change in mountain biking, and depending who you ask, the 27.5" is either a marketing gimmick or a 'identity-confused 29er' Too niche, especially when marketers use 29 descriptions to sell a 27.5.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    I hope that Giant keeps the 29er line, I test rode the 27.5 Anthem was not real impressed, got back on the 29er and fit myself well.
    2013 Anthem Advanced 29er
    1999 Turner 02
    Raced for Mongoose Bikes from Alum,Carbon to TI.
    1987 Redline Mountain bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Agree, a new Anthem 29er till next year would be the best they can do. More XC-race oriented and look at the changes Spez has done to the Epic WC2014.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    28.25: the newest wheel size that perfectly blends the characteristics of a 29er with the performance of a 27.5.
    Andrew Borntreger
    Champion of Cinematic Disasters
    www.badmovies.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmovies.org View Post
    28.25: the newest wheel size that perfectly blends the characteristics of a 29er with the performance of a 27.5.
    Old, try something new, original.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-29er View Post
    But what he did mention in our exchanges of messages, was he's pushing Giant to come up with a Anthem 27.5 with 120mm travel front and rear with a dropper. His current Anthem Advanced has a 120mm fork and he loves it. Almost a do all bike that can handle anything. But the 100mm rear travel limits it on some of the trails.
    Kind of what I want for the customers and riders around here, and what I was referring to with bringing the Yukon back with 120mm of travel and the Talon 27.5's geo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    I agree with foe here. The 29" was a sea change in mountain biking, and depending who you ask, the 27.5" is either a marketing gimmick or a 'identity-confused 29er' Too niche, especially when marketers use 29 descriptions to sell a 27.5.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    I don't know anyone who's actually ridden a 27.5 who says any of that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    In product development there are two main strategies.

1. You develop what you think is the best and then try to make people buy it
    2. You identify the people needs and produce products to cover them

In my opinion the first one applies to the bike industry the past 2-3 years. People didn't wake up on day and felt dissatisfied with the 26ers and asked for 29ers. They also didn't ask for 27.5ers. It was all an industry choice and they used and keep using real attacking marketing tactics to support this choice like saying 26ers are dead, 29ers will be dead and 27.5ers is the future etc.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that both 26ers and 29ers have their own benefits and having owned both they are really distinctive. I also believe that 27.5ers have their own benefits but I don't agree that they offer the best of both worlds. Marketing says that they are lighter than 29ers and faster than 26ers but common sense also says that they are heavier than 26ers and slower than 29ers.

I understand Giant business decision to try to push both the industry and peoples perceptions and preferences but I just dont agree with it.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast