Back in the saddle

A Giant... ** CREAK ** (2014 Trance X1)

Been riding (and LOVING) my 2014 Trance X1 for about three weeks now. However, when pedaling under heavy load, I get a brief "creaking" or "ticking" sound close to the bottom of the right pedal stroke. And ONLY the right pedal stroke. Nothing from the left stroke. The sound seems to be coming from the bottom bracket area.

At first I thought there might be something caught in one of the front rings that was briefly hitting the frame on each pedal stroke. However, spinning the crank while off the bike produces no noise. Pedaling on a level surface, under light load also produces no noise.

It's not in the seat, nor is it in the handlebars/stem. The noise also happens, under load, when I'm off the seat and holding the stem. Not sure if this matters, but I'm riding with Shimano SPD clip-ins.

This is my first Giant and frankly, I'm not sure where to begin looking. I tightened all sorts of bolts (links, front sprocket, pedals) but no change.

Is this a common problem? Do I need to disassemble, lube, and reassemble something? Is my frame cracked (which is what it sounds like...ugh) even if I can't see a crack anywhere amid the complex geometry at the bottom bracket?

Any suggestions on where to start looking would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    tighten the rear quick release as much as you can.

mtbr member
    Here's what I'd check in the following order:

Chain ring bolt(s)
    Headset
    Stem (torque bolts)
    Fork crown race
    Press Fit Bottom Bracket (Personally, I'd take this to a bike shop for inspection. Some of these break when you remove them.)

Good Luck,

Your Best Friend

Re: A Giant... ** CREAK ** (2014 Trance X1)

Almost guarantee it's the PF92 BB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'd be "looking" at taking it straight back to where i bought it, 3 weeks old? not your responsiblity to be fault finding that bike. IMO

No good in rock gardens..
    Bottom bracket IMO. Bikes get zero grease on the cups, often it's just a matter of removing, cleaning and reassembling with some lube in the proper areas.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    This is almost certainly a BB issue. And I agree completely - take it back to the shop. A good shop will fix just about anything annoying like that which is ultimately labor only for free as long as you own the bike. Frankly, service like that is the only reason you have to go back to them rather than somewhere else the next time you want a bike.

Back in the saddle
    Good tips. Many thanks!

The shop I bought the bike from is 3 hours away, so if I can fix this, that would be my preference.

Since I rebuild my own two-stroke roadrace motorcycle engines, I generally prefer doing my own work, warranty or not. Besides, I generally prefer learning to fish, rather than being given fish. :-)

What special tools are required, if any?

Your Best Friend

Re: A Giant... ** CREAK ** (2014 Trance X1)

It does take special tools, both to remove and to install a pf92 bb. Plus, if you do it several times it won't fit well anymore and will creak worse. Consider any pf bb a disposable item and replace it every year if you ride a decent amount.

Back in the saddle
    Thought I'd update anybody interested in this topic. This afternoon I cleaned and inspected the bike. Did not see any cracks, hoping my eyes were sharp and there are none.

I decided to take apart the crank -- turned out it was very simple, just needed allen wrenches.

ISSUES FOUND:

1. When brushing my teeth, I use more toothpaste than was used in the entire crank assembly! Cripes... I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the living daylights out of the crank assembly.

2. The sprockets were mounted to the crank arms with ZERO grease. I also found a couple bolts that were a bit loose. Not sure what Giant was thinking here. I took the sprockets off, cleaned, and lubed all bolts and spacers and torqued them down properly.

3. Curiously, the four mounting tabs for the smaller chain ring on the front were slightly rubbing the bottom bracket, scraping off the paint.

Seems like any one of these might have produced "creaking". However, I won't know until I get a chance to ride it in a few days. Hopefully all that was needed was a little lube. :-)

No good in rock gardens..
    Sounds typical of many new bikes - and truth be told your own maintenance work will ofte n be more detailed and careful than an LBS.

On every bike I have owned, apart from what I built myself, the BB has crapped out in six months or less. They often hide a cheap, crappy BB on new bikes, even if the rest of the spec is good.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    just had the same problem on an Anthem at it was the stock rear quick release. The noise drove me nuts and couldn't find the damn creak, took the bike apart found nothing then just happened to push and pull the rear wheel and found the creak coming from the rear axel. I switched out to a shimano QR and the noise has gone!

Back in the saddle
    Will keep an eye on that rear axle, too. Thanks for the tip.

MTB B'dos
    As has been said, sadly this is the case with most new bikes and for the life of me I cannot understand the why of it, maybe those few cents they save on not using sufficient grease saves them just enough to make all the upset customers with ticks and creaks OK Pedals are a good place to look for creaks coming from down that area, grease gets washed out and creaking starts. With these new PF BBs it's just a horror story, have had 3 need cleaning/repacking on guys bikes down here, called a store in Miami where one of the guys got his bike from and was basically told, "Yeah, they're disposable, expect to replace them every 7 months or so" WTF I'll be sticking to frame with threaded BB for as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolSoft View Post
    Thought I'd update anybody interested in this topic. This afternoon I cleaned and inspected the bike. Did not see any cracks, hoping my eyes were sharp and there are none.

I decided to take apart the crank -- turned out it was very simple, just needed allen wrenches.

ISSUES FOUND:

1. When brushing my teeth, I use more toothpaste than was used in the entire crank assembly! Cripes... I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the living daylights out of the crank assembly.

2. The sprockets were mounted to the crank arms with ZERO grease. I also found a couple bolts that were a bit loose. Not sure what Giant was thinking here. I took the sprockets off, cleaned, and lubed all bolts and spacers and torqued them down properly.

3. Curiously, the four mounting tabs for the smaller chain ring on the front were slightly rubbing the bottom bracket, scraping off the paint.

Seems like any one of these might have produced "creaking". However, I won't know until I get a chance to ride it in a few days. Hopefully all that was needed was a little lube. :-)
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolSoft View Post
    Will keep an eye on that rear axle, too. Thanks for the tip.
    I have a 2013 XTC1 that was doing the same thing. Checked, greased and tightened everything. Would have bet money it was the BB. In my case it was the derailleur hanger. Looks like the Trance has the same hanger. It's a fairly large mating area and only on bolt holding it. Take it off and grease the mating area. Fixxed mine!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I second the derailleur hanger. I had the same click

Turns out the bottom right side of the rear triangle was flexing under load. This in-turn caused the hanger to click

I took off my hanger , cleaned both surfaces bike and hanger (the bike had loose bubbly paint in that area)

I put grease on the bolt and a little on the surface between the bike and the hanger.

Bamm!! Problem solved

BTW - The LBS took apart and cleaned my BB. Did not do anything... except making my cranks spin very nicely

Hope this helps

Doug in San Diego