mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Getting back into biking ATX 840

Hello,

As a kid I loved to bike, BMX, Mountain, whatever, but when I turned 16 and started driving I basically stopped riding bikes. That was 16 years ago. Yesterday I bought a Giant ATX 840 for just under $100. The first thing I noticed is that it needs new rear pads, in fact it sounds like it's scraping metal right now. Also I think somewhere in the shifting mechanism needs to be adjusted because when it's in the middle gear up front it makes a light clicking sound. Another thing I noticed and you can see in the picture is that it looks like it's been painted, and perhaps the original color was pink?

Anyway does anyone have knowledge about these bikes? From what I've seen on-line is they were sold in the late 90s. Mine has a insurance sticker from 2002, so maybe it was sold in 2002.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11456...27254032317841

Bruce

Your Best Friend
    It's a cheap bike. Repair what you need to, to keep it running and no more. It just isn't worth it. I also would NOT go mountain biking on it. It's probably best to use it as a commuter.

If it was repainted, they did a great job. It could be this bike:
    1996 Giant ATX 840 - New and Used Bike Value

which was originally purple? Looks like you got a good deal on it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Don't see why you couldn't take it mtn biking, with a few fixes/service.

I may have had the purple bike once, but when someone stole it, I purchased an ATX 860 back around 97? A couple of years later got an ATX 890.
    Took it all over the place mtb'ing. No probs. Sold it a few months back for $80

A guy in a bike shop recently mentioned to me that the old ATX 860/890 frames were really good. Mine was the burnished aluminium look.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks Silentfoe for the information, but to be honest I will do at least some lite mountain biking with it. I think we'll be ok, for one I don't have the skill for anything serious and secondly I'm pretty light at about 145 lbs. And if I break something oh well. Tangerineow, do you know what the model numbers mean? I guess they are going up with the later models but is there anything else to it that you know of?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm no expert but I seem to remember at the time the rising numbers just referred to the groupset etc on the frame.

I'm 130 lbs; you shouldn't have any probs if the frame is in good nick.

Interestingly, Giant makes a modern ATX 8?? frame, which I've seen for sale in Taiwan and ebay?

The Giant site -Archive section- may list bikes that far back with specs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I checked the Giant Archive section but didn't find anything. Anyway my wife, a friend and I are going out for a little ride today. It's only about 10k, with about 50% trail and 50% street.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    well we made it back, really great time. https://plus.google.com/photos/11456...11952602161937