mtbr member

Front Derailleur on an Anthem 29er

I am building up an Anthem 29er, and I just wanted to verify which is the correct front derailleur for the bike. I ordered a High Mount Top Pull Shimano XT, but couldn't verify that anywhere on here, or Giant's Website. Is that the proper one?

Thanks,
    Scott

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm not sure which exact model you have, but it appears the Anthem 29'ers seem to use the low mount/top-pull FD as pictured here: Anthem X 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

That seems to be common on Giants, as both my old Rainier HT and Reign (09) use the exact same derailleur. In fact, I'm currently using the 02 Rainier's FD on the Reign.

AM.

mtbr member
    I saw that picture on their site, but they don't specify which type of FD they are running. I bought a Titus El Guapo, and they specify all the parts and sizes that their frame takes. That makes it very nice for when you're ordering parts, so you get the right ones. Thanks for the info, sounds like I might have to exchange the FD from a High Mount to a Low Mount top pull.

mtbr member

Re: Front Derailleur on an Anthem 29er

I called a local bike shop, and while he wasn't absolutely positive, I deduced that it is indeed a low mount top pull FD that's required.

Don't you love bike shops, usually of big box brands, who don't know their own products? I feel badly for the average customer, who doesn't know how to repair their own bike, and they have to rely on the bike shop's expertise to troubleshoot and repair the bike. I'm still looking forward to building up this project.

Thanks again for the help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Here's a picture of a Trek with a high mount/top-pull. You can compare it to the Giant picture referenced above and easily see the difference between a high and low mount: Superfly AL Elite - Trek Bicycle