mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Frame swap Reign to Trance for wiffy?

Both the wife and I have Reigns and TCRs. She doesnt ride as much as I do. Last year she bought me a 29er and I did my first 12 hour race this weekend and now have the racing bug. She mentioned intrests in racing with me. So I have been thinking of swaping her 05 Reign frame for a Trance frame. She doesnt ride enough to justify a third race bike. I was thinking a Trance could be built up right to race and still be a worthy trail bike. (She isnt sacred to ride chunk). We ride all over AZ: Phnx Sedona and Flag. I was really impressed with a how my buddy did on a Trance on our Moab trip last Oct. Id like to get her Size Small in at about 28-29 pds

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Both the wife and I have Reigns and TCRs. She doesnt ride as much as I do. Last year she bought me a 29er and I did my first 12 hour race this weekend and now have the racing bug. She mentioned intrests in racing with me. So I have been thinking of swaping her 05 Reign frame for a Trance frame. She doesnt ride enough to justify a third race bike. I was thinking a Trance could be built up right to race and still be a worthy trail bike. (She isnt sacred to ride chunk). We ride all over AZ: Phnx Sedona and Flag. I was really impressed with a how my buddy did on a Trance on our Moab trip last Oct. Id like to get her Size Small in at about 28-29 pds
    Actually, depending on which Trance X model you choose, you can have a 26 lb bike in stock form, especially with a small frame. My buddy's X1 in size XL is under 28 lb with pedals. Do you intend to buy a new stock bike or build it from the frame up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    the fiancÚ's Trance xw is low 26 lbs on a modest trail build, size medium.. if you get a low volume canister for the rear to stiffen it up there is no reason it can't be a decent race bike.. we put the rp23 on hers to plushen up the suspension but good luck on the build! or even go for the anthem..
    2011 Reign, Fox rp23, 2012 Fox 36 Talas 160, Crossmax Sx, Sram X9 2x10 Group, XO brakes, Easton Havoc Bars (nice and wide!!)

mtbr member
    Yup the Trace will do both types of riding for you and you can build them very light for decent money. If she does fit on a small the Mens model with the straight top tube is a lighter frame. Good Luck
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=fiveo;8901479d. Id like to get her Size Small in at about 28-29 pds[/QUOTE]
    Size small should be under 27 off the shelf.