mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Fox Vanilla R and Trance???

This may sound stupid at first, but follow me here. I recently had the Float R on my Trance 2 crap the bed on me mid-ride. The shock compressed, bottomed out in it's travel, and never rebounded!!! I just sent in the Float for service today, but I have been thinking about getting another shock as a back-up for situations like these. I've been racing downhill and moto x for over 8 years now and love the feel of coil. Don't get me wrong, the air shock is nice, but I don't feel as though it's as plush as I would like. So, I have been thinking about the Vanilla R in the 6.5x1.5 variety. Would the Vanilla R and coils of the spring clear the frame/lower mount on the Trance?

MBAA!
    I do believe it would clear... but am not 100% sure. It may not but it really isnt all too much bigger than an air shock. I dont know about the coil shocks... does that one have an oil reservoir? If it does it may not be able to compress without hitting the downtube.

So your shock bottomed out and never rebounded? Did the linkage bind anywhere? Sounds like it went down at an angle it wasnt intended to go, and shifted as it bottomed out and couldnt go back... then again, I could just be crazy.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    I do believe it would clear... but am not 100% sure. It may not but it really isnt all too much bigger than an air shock. I dont know about the coil shocks... does that one have an oil reservoir? If it does it may not be able to compress without hitting the downtube.

So your shock bottomed out and never rebounded? Did the linkage bind anywhere? Sounds like it went down at an angle it wasnt intended to go, and shifted as it bottomed out and couldnt go back... then again, I could just be crazy.
    The Vanilla R is the coil without a piggyback resvoir. I found somewhere on here that it's measured at about 50mm. With my cheapo plastic calipers I measured the opening for the mount in the frame to be about 52 to 54mm at best. Hmm, now it has me wondering a bit?

The float bottomed, but not in a typical fashion. We were in a group ride and had just stopped. I dismounted, waiting for others to catch up, and remounted when the finally caught up and rested a bit. As I stood up to give the first few initial pedal strokes, the shock just slowly sunk into its travel and suddenly I was just about banging my feet/pedals off the ground. It never bottomed harshly and didn't seem to have any issues prior to this stop. Checked the alignment and for any binding right after I took the shock off, but everything is butter smooth and straight. I thought the shock might have blown, but there is absolutely no oil or any signs of such. Wonder if a hydraulic lockout is possible?!?!

At any rate, it sucked walking the 3 miles out, because I couldn't pedal for more than a few feet without banking the chainrings and pedals off of the rocks and log crossings!

MBAA!
    From that... anything sounds likely. Either some sort of massive loss in pressure through a valver or.. something. Hydraulic lockout possibly. But hey, guess its a chance to upgrade?

If the shock is 50mm and the openning is 52mm... I believe it might work. The only problem I would see is the shock moving forward or backwards under compression it may rub... but you could always put some rubber around it to protect that.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

MTB B'dos
    Did you pull the shock down at al or just send it back to FOX for service?? You could prob have snet it to PUSH Industries for warranty service or for one of their custom jobs. What sort of cost is the Vanilla R? I think 1mm clearance on either side could be just a tad to close for comfort.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Members who have read this thread: 0