Thread: Fox Rp3 on NRS?

mtbr member
    May 2005

New question here. Fox Rp3 on NRS?

I recall reading somewhere that a Fox Rp3 won't fit a NRS without some modifications. Is this correct? I can't seem to find the thread where this was discussed. And, does it make sense to use a Rp3 on a NRS. I race mine, and want zero bob, so anything that will stop bob I'll use. If it matters, I have a carbon NRS with the carbon rocker arm. If not the Rp3, what's the best zero bob shock for a NRS? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The NRS is supossed to be set up optimally with the zero sag and due to suspension design should bob Very minimally. My inital thought about the RP3 on the NRS, I'd say useless, but that is just an opinion and not necessarily the actual truth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i don't think it would be necessary. i don't notice any significant bob, but haven't 'sat back' to watch an NRS ride past to witness if they do bob or not.

as above, it's designed to have negligible bob and it feels that way.

i also don't see the use in race situations because would you stop, adjust, then start again? at best, you'd have to slow down to concentrate on making the change, but i doubt it would be within easy reach.

do you currently notice bob? and are you happy you've pressurised the shock enough? what shock do you have now?

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    May 2005

no bob but...

So far I haven't had much bob at all, and I'm completely sold on the NRS design. But, I currently have the older SID shock with the pos and neg air chambers and I'm worried about its longevity. My frame came with the Giant NRS propriety shock (came from overseas) and I wasn't into it and my only option at the time was the SID. So, I'm more asking b/c I'm worried the SID is going to go and I want to be ready. Also, I'm a freak about efficiency (race a lot) and was curious about other shocks performance. And one more thing...the bushing on the top of the SID where is connects to the rocker arm is toast so I have a good amount of play there- for example if you lift my bike up just a bit at the seat you can feel about a 1/4'' (probably less) of movement up and down that's occurring right at the top of the shock. It's annoying.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ah, fair enough. what was that 'NRS' proprietry shock like? i've seen pics of those frames/shocks, and am curious.

i thought i read somewhere that the RP3 will fit if you rotate it around with the dial on the opposite side to the seattube. can't confirm this though, sorry.

i suppose if you fit an RP3, you don't have to use the lockout feature if it's not needed. at worst, you've overspent. mind you, i would expect a Float R should perform at least as well as your current SID, and provide no more bob than you currently have. so if it's satisfactory now, the Float R should be fine for your needs.

i'm probably not the best person to advise though, cos i've only had my NRS for 3 months and i don't race. it simply meets my recreational XC needs fine; you will no doubt be more demanding.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Back when I owned an '04 NRS I saw the 05's and inquired to Giant about upgrading to a Fox. They informed me that the leverage ratio, rate of the '05 is different than previous models an a Fox won't work on an 04 or earlier Giant. I did get smooth performance from the SID though by going with the no-sag set up. I set the shock with PSI equal to my body weight (not 10-15 over) and 60 psi in the negative chamber (increasing pressure in the negative chamber makes it plusher) not 50 psi like the manual said. I still was able to ride zero sag and did not bottom out the suspention once, even when taking 3 foot drops. That's about as hard as a NRS should be ridden in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah you have to modify the blue knob (make it a little shorter) to make it work on the NRS. This guy who rides on the trail I go on has a RP3 on his 2003 NRS and he loves it. I have a 2005 float R on my 2002 NRS... the ride is a lot rougher than the stock SID.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    check out cane creek. they build to oem spec for frame and year. also have a replacement deal running for the cloud nine.