mtbr member
    Nov 2005

fox 36 vs Pike on a Reign

I am looking at upgrading my current forks - Rockshox Revelation (130mm travel) on a Reign - to something slightly more gravity orientated.

Current options are Fox 36 Van RC2 (160mm) and Pike 454 Air U-Turn (110-140mm). I am of the understanding that the 36 TALAS doesn't work particularly well - please correct me if I am wrong...

Any opinions by those experienced with either of these would be most appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just put pike 426's (u turn coil) on my reign 3,which replaced a set of toras.
    They are just starting to wear in but feel real good.
    I like the extra travel adjustment of the coil, 95/140mm which i've used a lot on climbs
    I would of loved to get some 36 Talas's instead but the price was an issue.
    Isnt the revelation very similar to the pike apart from the maxel and 10mm travel?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Greetings!
    I own a set of Talas's and have read all the complaints/ faults etc, I know a few guys with the forks and they are all fine, however they cost alot more than your average fork so if there is a prob = your gonna complain about it which is fair enough! They are pretty light for the travel you get and they say you should fit a King steel headset in too = so the cost goes up again! They are super smooth ( like all Fox shocks) and super stiff, I dont have a problem going uphill because of the travel ( youd think they'd bob) as for going dowhill = brilliant! I have tried different forks and nothing compares to them, they feel like there is more travel than 6" - and they are so plush+stiff I would not hesitate in buying them again! If you are worried why not go for the 36Vans........ if you look around you can find discount on both of them!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    what about a marzo z.1 or 66rc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a Pike coil and have bounced around on the 36 a little bit. I am not sure if fox has fixed some of the problems with the 36 yet, but the 05 36 did not get 150mm of travel. It was more like 145mm to 140mm, so basically the same as the Pike. The vast majority of riders who have had time on the Pike, have very positive things to say. I never got to test the 36 enough to really comment, but I have heard a lot of varying reports. There have been issues of stiction, travel loss, and quite a few riders have commented on the small bump plushness not always being there.

I love the feel of the Pike coil and it is very plush. It is still very light compared to the competitors, and I don't have to make adjustments with a stinking air pump. Imo, the RS U-turn is the best travel adjust feature out of any fork. You have useable travel that is plush at any setting from 95-140mm and the travel rapidly winds down or up. The Travel adjust on the Pike is much easier to use and faster than the Talas system. The Pike can be locked out at any setting and the flood gate makes for many tuning options.

The 20mm Maxle works great and it is just as fast and easy as a quick release to remove your front wheel, but you still have the stiffness of a 20mm thru axle. Once again, this innovation is much easier and faster than removing four bolts on a traditional 20mm thru axle. I have had both styles and the Pike system is superior.

The ride height is different on both forks, with the 36 being higher. It comes down to what you prefer.

The Pike is now a proven fork that can take abuse. The icing on the cake is that the Pike is much cheaper than the 36 without any real draw backs.
    Last edited by ronny; 01-06-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Too Kool for Skool
    Quote Originally Posted by xenochimera
    what about a marzo z.1 or 66rc?
    uhh correct me if im wrong but isnt the 66 a 1.5 head tube?
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by theg1ant
    uhh correct me if im wrong but isnt the 66 a 1.5 head tube?
    Only Manitou uses the 1.5 steer tubes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Just got 06 Reign 1

Hi I just got an 06 Reign 1 and it comes with the Talas 36 R. From the perspective that I came from (Giant NRS with SID Race), the Talas is amazing! I have about 6 rides on it so far with no trouble. Still playing with the pressure to get it dialed in but it feels super plush to me. I'm a happy camper with it