mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Fox 125 evo's - do they have a reducing spacer

Been eyeing a 2012 trance x1

Nice mix of shimano / fox , ridden my mates 2011 x2 and it's fast , light and great on
    Local & trail centre stuff

According to fox the 32 series are in 100-120-140-150 guises

My question is ; are the 125's a 140 fork with a reducing spacer or a "special " run
    Looking to up to 140 forks

Cheers

mtbr member
    I have had a look at the Fox website and despite some sites stating the existence of such a fork mounted on Trance bikes I would bet it is just a 120 version. But it may also be a different configuration fork.

Usually Fox forks can only have their travel reconfigured to smaller values from its factory set travel.

140>120>100

That said, I would bet you could lower your fork, but getting it to 140mm is probably highly impossible without major internal hardware changes (getting the bigger travel internals for instance).

Your best bet is to get a factory set 140mm fork or something with on the fly travel adjustment like a Talas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes the fork is a 140mm. 2 friends of mine have had their fork lenghtened to 140mm easily for less then 50$ at our local tuner. The stanchions are long enough for 150mm but the F150 is beefier.

Enjoy your F140.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You can tell a Float 140 from a F32 120 as the Float has a reinforcing lattice in the brace.Could be F32 120 lowers and Float cartridges? If it's just a custom spacer, then it's a $0 backyard fix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cheers guys
    Confirmed what I thought ;-)

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Great thread! I always assumed that the F125 was a longer F120. I have one on my 2011 Trance X3. I just popped the damper cap off mine to measure how much more stroke the cartridge has before topping out. 30.6mm, so easily enough to accommodate 15mm more stroke plus a bit of negative travel

I need to pick up some more shock fluid before taking these things apart but it's looking promising so far! I will try to measure the bushing overlap as well.
    Last edited by Sov; 01-01-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    OK I have had mine apart now. There is no travel spacer on the spring side of my F125 - see pic below.

So it looks as if the damper cartridge can handle extra travel, but the spring side cannot unless it is replaced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox 125 evo's - do they have a reducing spacer-f125springside.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bet that's more than $50. And assuming it has a damper cartridge that is 140mm capable? I know there is usually a bit of free length in the cartridge but I've never measured the stroke.

Unless you can move the pin like this. Then add travel spacer?

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...4sNngA&cad=rja

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice bit of work there Sov

I love these forums, great advice and tinkering ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Very interested to see how this thread turns out. I've wondered myself just how much more travel these forks are capable of. An extra 10-15mm for anything under $100 would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This is the answer my friend got from the Fox website before going to the tuner. Price for the work may varie but here it is 45$.

Changing Travel

Travel on your FLOAT fork can be changed by rearranging the internal travel spacers. After changing travel, check the fork for proper operation before riding. If there is noticeable play in the fork or if it makes strange noises, disassemble the fork and check for complete number and correct orientation of spacers.
    Note: FLOAT forks can be reduced in travel, but they cannot be increased in travel beyond 140 mm.

Tools Required for Travel Change

26mm 6-sided socket
    10mm socket
    Small screwdriver
    Torque wrench
    Oil drain pan
    Plastic-faced hammer
    Measuring container w/ cc or mL increments

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What internal travel spacers? None in Sov's fork. Unless someone has already removed them?
    Is there specific instructions on the site for the custom Giant F32 125's?. I know there is for reducing travel of OEM F32.Sounds very much as described above.
    Changing 32 mm FLOAT & F-Series Fork Travel

They would specify a pin punch if they meant to move the position of the pin holding the negative spring stop.

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here are some measurements:
    - Length of stanchion = 296mm
    - Bottom edge of lower bushing from top seal = 163mm
    - Amount of exposed stanchion @125mm of travel = 130mm

So, the maximum travel the fork can accommodate whilst maintaining full bushing overlap = 296 minus 163 = 133mm.

There's no way to get 140mm out of this fork.

Also, there are no extra holes in the spring side shaft to move the pin, and there is no reinforcing lattice in the back side of the arch on the lowers.

trek551, the instructions you posted are for a Float. The Giant Trances come with F-series forks, not Floats.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Makes Sense. If you were going to make a 125mm fork,best to tweak 5mm out of the lighter F series with a custom air shaft assy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sov View Post
    trek551, the instructions you posted are for a Float. The Giant Trances come with F-series forks, not Floats.
    I am not an expert in the matter. My friend has a 2001 TX1 with the Fit125 and got the fork lenghtened to140mm by our local tuner. Many members of my 2 mtb clubs go there for fork maintenance. He says it's easy job for him with no drilling of holes just spacer swap.

That is the extent of my comment.