Sir Hurt Locker

First FS Bike - Giant Reign X1

Hi fellow Giant riders,

I just bought a Reign X1 and since it is my first full suspension bike I am wondering what kind of maintenance it requires. I don't really understand what people mean by checking/replacing bushings or pivots. What are the bushings and pivots? How often and what exactly do I need to do to maintain the linkage stuff? Thanks!

Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm not the most qualified person to respond as far as how to replace bearings, but I can give you the basics. The pivots are the points that connect the rear triangle to the parallel links and the links to the main frame. In the owner's manual where they explain how Maestro works, they pivots are shown in blue, I believe. The pivots contain bearings, which many people claim to be the weak link on the Reign X. At the end of the season, remove the bottom bolt the holds the shock to the frame and cycle the suspension to see if there is any "crunching" or slop. You will also be able to detect worn bearings or shock bushings by lifting up the seat. If there is some play there, ie. the seat lifts up but the tire is still on the ground, you have either loose or worn bearings/bushings. As far as maintenance goes, give the pivot bolts a check with a torque wrench if you have one every once in a while. If you do need to replace your bushings or bearings, there are threads on mtbr.com that explain how to do so, or your dealer would be happy to do it for you for a reasonable fee. That's about as far as I can take you. Hopefully, somebody will be able to fill in the gaps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Unless you are mechanically inclined, and keen to do it yourself, it's probably best to take the bike to a shop to be checked. Likely the fork should get serviced too.