slamma

FINALY!!! Reign 0

Ive been riding my trusty ol NRS sense 2002, beating the crap out of it. Iv been trying to save up for a new bike for about 3 or 4 years now, but naturally every time i get close to getting the money, the roof leaks, plumbing shi&s the bed, dog gets hurt, wife gets hurt, go to Europe( that was nice)......you get point.....well

FINALY I ordered my Medium Giant Reign 0....it will be ready on Friday..LBS said there where only 2 left to order in the country they had to order is out of Chicago....damn.

SO, expect some pics and a follow up review...obviously its gonna be night and day compared to my ol NRS but it'll be and interesting comparison..they will proly weigh bout the same, but i cant wait.

i think ill take my components of my NRS and build a hard tail for winter riding....
    Ride with timeless creed

tardcore
    I got a new left over 08' earlier this week and am very impressed. Did you get an 09'? Congrats, looking forward to hearing more.

slamma
    yeah its an 09' the LBS did not have any 08'S left in my size. All they had were small and XL.
    Ride with timeless creed

tardcore
    Sweet, I'm a little upset I didn't get the 15mm QR fork but I saved $1200 so I'm putting on some Mavic Crossmax ST's to make up for the savings

slamma

Got it early.

Man, i cant say enough i put about 45 min worth of riding on it today night and day difference were bikes have gone in just the past 5 years, This bike weighs the same as my NRS and has almost 3 more inches of travel, but the killer is it climbs better, not in the efficiency department but i can climb up steep shoots easier, its easier for me to keep my front wheel under control and it grips better, its kind of like riding on a tractor.
    anyway ill give a full review when i actually get everything dialed in....i will agree with some others who were saying the DHX 4 does not seem to have enough pro petal, it a very suttle difference but its there. i may just boost up the air in piggyback...im already up to 150psi.

Some questions, I an running about 250 psi in the main chamber, with about 20% sag, does this seem high? If i do run more pressure in the piggy back will it give me more pro petal?

any way here she is........

trusty NRS steed

the old and the new

Photobucket

Photobucket

Looks Better Muddy

Photobucket
    Tribute to the NRS
    Ride with timeless creed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I thought rear sag should be around 30%. Try less main pressure, then if you want a firmer propedal (not petal) feel, add a bit more boost pressure.

Keep in mind, Maestro is different than NRS, it is not intended to feel locked out. The suspension may not feel solid if you hammer out of the saddle, but if you spin in the saddle it will not bob. Just ride it without locking it out for a while.

tardcore
    Try around 25% sag. I didn't find the boost chamber to add to the propedal only degrade the plush factor when too high. I put on an 09' RP23 with a HVAS tonight and will do a big ride tomorrow so I can give you feedback on my impressions. I was kinda getting used to the DHX but was too tempted to try the RP. fsrxc is right though, it's a sit and spin bike not an out of the saddle masher. Congrats on the new Reign, great bike! This silver looks sharp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    if i understand the NRS design, maestro is the polar opposite, and thats a good thing.. you might just need to give it some time.

might want to save your money on the proprietary crappy mavic wheels and put a coil shock on!

slamma
    [QUOTE=fsrxc] if you want a firmer propedal (not petal) feel

HAD TO POINT THAT OUT. THANKS DAD.

Anyway,
    trust me I'm aware of the how the NRS suspension works. i owned one for 6 years, I just spent 3+ grand on a bike, Ive done my research.

i was manly wondering if it was normal to have 250 psi in DHX at around 215 lbs on that bike. It just seemed High, considering the max it 300.
    Ride with timeless creed

slamma

Right on, that is exactly what i was thinking...i think the Wheelset is sick, im not a weight weeny, i like the products WTB puts out.

so, i called push and they said they wont work on any DHX AIR models.is so many words he said the suck..... He suggested a coil too.....so after this summer of ridding it and breaking it in, if i don't like it ill go with a cane creek or Fox coil. After getting the Fox fork and shock, id have to say im pretty impressed with the quality, and would not hesitate to buy another if it holds up this summer.
    Ride with timeless creed

tardcore
    SPRAG check out my RP thread, I just went for a test. BTW I love the Crossmax ST's put them on last weekend and am stoked. Not a weight weenie but with a heavy ass WTB seat, CB Mallets and Joplin my 08' 0 is barely over 27lbs with the DHX.

slamma
    sweet thanks for the review,
    i took mine out for another ride today, and i added more air in the piggy back and i did not perform better in the propedal dept. and took away quite a bit of plushness, i set the can at approx. 230psi and and the boost valve at about 130, i think that as good as its gonna get.....i think im gonna like the way this bike rides. it feels very neutral and balanced in every condition, they did a perfect job tweaking the Geo on this bike..
    Ride with timeless creed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPRAG
    sweet thanks for the review,
    i took mine out for another ride today, and i added more air in the piggy back and i did not perform better in the propedal dept. and took away quite a bit of plushness, i set the can at approx. 230psi and and the boost valve at about 130, i think that as good as its gonna get.....i think im gonna like the way this bike rides. it feels very neutral and balanced in every condition, they did a perfect job tweaking the Geo on this bike..
    Propedal sucks dude, Enlighten up!

tardcore
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    I'm finally getting that

mtbr member
    SPRAG How do you like the Medium? Do you like the stock stem? I have that 5'11" in between size dilemma and any info or opinion you have on that would be great.

slamma
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine

you want something too suck?
    Ride with timeless creed

slamma
    I'm glad i got the med, its fits just right.....i have shorter legs and a long torso, the guy that sold me this bike owns one, he is six foot and rids a MED as well, I think its much better for my ridding style, if you like to ride more technical terrain, and are more aggressive, it will maneuver a lot better, the wheel base is 1 inch shorter that the large. and it feels realy stable, i would go for the med, it can climb steeps like crazy,
    my lbs suggested i get a med and if it did fit they would order a large and take the loss on it, they were pretty confident that the Med size will fit most guys that are 511, so if you have longer legs than i do (32") it should not be a problem, i still have plenty of seat post left.
    Ride with timeless creed