Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Exciting news for Trance X owners!!!

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  'size 
#1 ·
All the new 2011 Rock Shox gear has been put up on their website, and guess what? They're selling an aftermarket Monarch in Trance X shock dimensions!!! (7.25x1.75) Good times!!!

So if you don't want to go the Push option you can just buy one direct from RS. Assuming that 2011 TX uses the same dimensions this really opens up the market for customising.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/monarch-rt3

#4 ·
I have the RP2, and it's never really done anything wrong, but I just felt that has always been lacking something. Not being able to try something else due to the shock size has always given me the S#*@S!!

I've always heard good things about the Monarch too.

#15 ·
chriscorv5 said:
I cant find any rear shocks in a 7.25x1.75 configs, can some one assist me?
Before I bought my X3 was looking at replacement shocks and unless you order a Fox shock through the Giant dealer, Rockshox is the only game in town. I couldn't find any other company making a shock in those demensions

#16 ·
laxman2001 said:
So which damper setting would yall recommend?
Maestro and DW Link rear ends need extremely light compression damping to work well. You will need the low tune and the floodgate and rebound dials will let you fine tune for your terrain.

FYI, my gf has a 2008 x0 with a mid tune fox rp23. My 2009 x2 has a low tune rp2. Giant changed that from 2008 to 2009-10 to get a more supple rear suspension.

#18 ·
Dgremlin said:
Before I bought my X3 was looking at replacement shocks and unless you order a Fox shock through the Giant dealer, Rockshox is the only game in town. I couldn't find any other company making a shock in those demensions
Its not exactly cheap...but heres another option....
http://www.canecreek.com/component-suspension?product=cloud-nine

(go to the "store" link like your going to order one....you can see the sizes...its actually 7.28X1.77)

#21 ·
I've got the Giant branded rear shock, and I like it. I think. But after hearing how crappy it is you all have cast doubt on my ride quality. I like the way the bike just floats over all sorts of rough junk, and I really like the great way it pedals and climbs. But what am I missing?

I've ridden DW Turners and REALLY like the lively feel of the package. I like the way I am seemingly propeled forward with each pedal stroke. It's like my legs get boosted. The Turner makes my legs feel 10 years younger.

So can this feeling be replicated on the Trance X? Is one of the more expensive shocks tuneable to give that lively feeling? What do these shocks really feel like?

#22 ·
From what I have heard you haven't experienced all the benefits of maestro untill you run it wide open. This is great news for my X3. But I wouldn't dream of changing the shock out before I replaced the fork (the rear is a ton more supple than the f-r front).

#23 ·
GregB406 said:
I've got the Giant branded rear shock, and I like it. I think. But after hearing how crappy it is you all have cast doubt on my ride quality. I like the way the bike just floats over all sorts of rough junk, and I really like the great way it pedals and climbs. But what am I missing?

I've ridden DW Turners and REALLY like the lively feel of the package. I like the way I am seemingly propeled forward with each pedal stroke. It's like my legs get boosted. The Turner makes my legs feel 10 years younger.

So can this feeling be replicated on the Trance X? Is one of the more expensive shocks tuneable to give that lively feeling? What do these shocks really feel like?
I didnt mean to sound like I think the Giant shock is pure crap, its all relative ...I mean if you compare the lowest end gear today to the stuff of even 5 years ago...is amazing. But I have ridden some Trances with RP2s and RP23s and thought they both worked better and were less fatiguing after a long ride. Maybe its just that they were more tuneable. Ive ridden the hell out of my X4 with the Giant shock and enjoyed every ride. Ive beat the shock til it was literally too hot to touch..and its never seems to fade and is still working fine. So its not all bad news. Cost vs performance I think an RP2 isnt worth the upgrade (the Giant is 80% as good)...but the higher end shocks definitely give more float and liveliness. Just my opinion...:D

Personally the only time ive felt the liveliness your describing with the Turner was not on a Giant at all but a Marin WolfRidge with an RP23.

#24 ·
zamdrang said:
I didnt mean to sound like I think the Giant shock is pure crap, its all relative ...I mean if you compare the lowest end gear today to the stuff of even 5 years ago...is amazing. But I have ridden some Trances with RP2s and RP23s and thought they both worked better and were less fatiguing after a long ride. Maybe its just that they were more tuneable. Ive ridden the hell out of my X4 with the Giant shock and enjoyed every ride. Ive beat the shock til it was literally too hot to touch..and its never seems to fade and is still working fine. So its not all bad news. Cost vs performance I think an RP2 isnt worth the upgrade (the Giant is 80% as good)...but the higher end shocks definitely give more float and liveliness. Just my opinion...:D

Personally the only time ive felt the liveliness your describing with the Turner was not on a Giant at all but a Marin WolfRidge with an RP23.
The RP2 is identical to the RP23, minus the more adjustable propedal. Identical compression dampening. I think the RP2 is the perfect shock if you were to go Fox, because you rarely need the propedal, but it gives you the simple on and off option, instead of having the other settings that aren't needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.