Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    b3n
    b3n is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    96

    European Reign...

    Hi everybody,

    while looking for my first full suspended bike (and I was almost sure it was a Specialized Enduro) a friend suggested me the Reign series for a convenient quality/price ratio. I noticed that for 2006 the Reign frame has changed for the US market... but the at the European bike festivals there were 2005 bikes exposed! Does anybody know what will happen in Europe? Will we have 2006 models, 2005 frames with updated components (for intance Fox shocks, or the FOX 36 on the Reign 1) or old 2005 bikes?

    Thanks,

    b3n

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goRz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    938
    As far as i am concerned, we should have the 2005 frames with updated specs - at least non UK Europe.

    If I were you and had enough money, I'd go with Enduro (2005 new frame design of course). Bearings on Reign give me pretty much trouble. The only? adv. of giant are: Maestro desing and price/specs ratio...
    Passion beyond reason!

  3. #3
    b3n
    b3n is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    96
    Thank you, now it's time to take a decision as soon as possible!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz
    As far as i am concerned, we should have the 2005 frames with updated specs - at least non UK Europe.

    If I were you and had enough money, I'd go with Enduro (2005 new frame design of course). Bearings on Reign give me pretty much trouble. The only? adv. of giant are: Maestro desing and price/specs ratio...
    Hallo goRZ

    Im from Chech Republic (near to Cieszyn) and also have Reign. As you mentioned, bearings in Reign are not durable!! I ride my bike for one season now, and had to change only one pair of bearings. And you? Have you replaced the same pair of bearings more than one time already? Then I would be really scared what to do?? I love my reign, but I ride harder and make more and more drops, as the reign anables it. Maybe should I think about more durable freeride bike?? What you suggest?
    Thanks for advice!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goRz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    938

    Michal Cienciala

    sorry for OT b3n,

    so Michal, here is a whole thread about Trance/Reign bearings, if you haven't read it: Check those bearings....Trance Owners

    Till now I have changed bearings no. 1 (look at the picture) once both left and right and bearings no.2 twice (also left and right though right one did't have to be changed). I am also doing more and more doubles, drops, NS sections and I think it may be a bit too much for those baearings (maybe those 'MAX' version of bearings would be better - check the above thread for more info - unfortunately those are hard to come by in Poland).

    I think I will finally buy some heavier FR bike, but I can;t decide... I've been changing bikes 3 times during last 3 years due to XC->FR evolution and I and my wallet are tired of it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Passion beyond reason!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz
    sorry for OT b3n,

    so Michal, here is a whole thread about Trance/Reign bearings, if you haven't read it: Check those bearings....Trance Owners

    Till now I have changed bearings no. 1 (look at the picture) once both left and right and bearings no.2 twice (also left and right though right one did't have to be changed). I am also doing more and more doubles, drops, NS sections and I think it may be a bit too much for those baearings (maybe those 'MAX' version of bearings would be better - check the above thread for more info - unfortunately those are hard to come by in Poland).

    I think I will finally buy some heavier FR bike, but I can;t decide... I've been changing bikes 3 times during last 3 years due to XC->FR evolution and I and my wallet are tired of it
    Hallo once more!!. Its sad to say but, but yesterday after quite hard riding I recognized my bearings nr 2 from your picture destroyed for 2nd time. I know, it was also my fault, becouse some moths after replacing it for the first time I decided to check it and put there some lubrication, becouse my bearings was not waterproof or waterresistant (but SKF), bearings were OK, but after that Ive forgoten to put there any glue, and during riding screw became loose, and after few jumps bearig were destroyed. Maybe its also time for me to go for more FR bike, but Im quite happy with Reign, I used to ride it, and I ride offen "enduro" , even XC to reach the summit and then FR, or DH. So I dont know really what bike suits my needs best. I was thinking about Nicolai Helius FR, or even Intense Uzzi vpx, or Titus Moto??? Who knows? What you thing ?

  7. #7
    b3n
    b3n is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    96
    Don't know if you can pedal it well to reach the top, but Nicolai Helius rules!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by b3n
    Don't know if you can pedal it well to reach the top, but Nicolai Helius rules!
    Do you think that its better option for my Enduro/FR biking. Do you have any experience with Nicolai Helius FR. It seems easy and strong enough for enythink I can do. Does it pedal as well as Reign? i know, hard to answer.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goRz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    938
    I do not know anything about the bikes you've mentioned. You can;t buy those brands in Poland I suppose. so, I can;t help you.

    Sice, I get very good prices at giant and haven't heard about problems with bearings in Faith (I am conducting a little survey into this ), I'd go for Giant Faith2. I also do quite a lot of uphills and Faith's weight and little seat adjustment discourage me from buying it. On the other hand, I've heard it pedals very good due to Maestro and SPV. All in all I have to sell my reign first, so all this is a bit hypothetical
    Passion beyond reason!

  10. #10
    b3n
    b3n is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    96
    I've never ridden a Nicolai, but I've seen a Helius and it's amazing. More than that I've read a test on a bike magazine and testers said it was incredible. I think Reign pedals better, but it light years far from Nicolai quality (but, fairly, it costs half the money ).

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by b3n
    I've never ridden a Nicolai, but I've seen a Helius and it's amazing. More than that I've read a test on a bike magazine and testers said it was incredible. I think Reign pedals better, but it light years far from Nicolai quality (but, fairly, it costs half the money ).
    It is sad to hear becouse my friend from local bike schop today sold last Helius FR 2005, with vanilla RC for 1280 USD. He gave me call this morning and told me to take the decision tiil the end of the day. 1 hr later I received email with the message - Its been sold... thats pitty!
    But...lets free ride..

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •