Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Epic Trance Rides Yet?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mkspecialsauce 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a chance to do any ultra long distance mountain bike rides or races on a Trance yet? What are your thoughts? Is the Trance worthy for solo 12 and 24 hour racing? Just courious as to what you think. I have been on a new NRS Air for the last 4 years. Just want to know if there will be a huge difference, and if there is going to be any downfalls to the Trance over the NRS. I know that there has been issues with the weight of the Trance. How does the Trance handle the super technical and tight sections of single track?

#2 ·
KERKOVEJ said:
Has anyone had a chance to do any ultra long distance mountain bike rides or races on a Trance yet? What are your thoughts? Is the Trance worthy for solo 12 and 24 hour racing? Just courious as to what you think. I have been on a new NRS Air for the last 4 years. Just want to know if there will be a huge difference, and if there is going to be any downfalls to the Trance over the NRS. I know that there has been issues with the weight of the Trance. How does the Trance handle the super technical and tight sections of single track?
I just got a Trance a couple of weeks ago and only have a few hours on it, but can tell from being a previous NRS owner I would go with the Trance. Weight is only an issue if you make it. Mine weighs 26.6 lbs(The only reason I actually know is because everyone on this site kept asking.) and rides excellent. The Trance you lose a little effiecientcy but gain in travel and ride. I did the Keysville race course on it and handled great in the technical sections. There is actually a picture of it on another thread (Trance ride impressions).

#5 ·
Mike Young said:
I see you built your Trance up from the frame with custom components. What was the approximate cost of the components to get that weight?

Also, what size frame do you have?
I had all the components, but adding them up including the cost of the frame is $3700.00.
I included the price I paid on the old set of Crossmaxes. I quoted someone else $4300.00 for new Crossmax SL discs. My frame is an 18.

#6 ·
KERKOVEJ said:
I just got a trance 1 frame and it SHREDS. I think it may be a good choice for enduranc types races. Longest ride I have done yet is about 15 miles, but as soon as the rain stops... You can get the Trances pretty light. Mine is 27 punds another guys I read was like 26. The top of the line NRS which is carbon (frt triangle) will definitly be lighter but the suspenison on the NRS is a much harsher suspension (I had an NRS 1) as comared to the really plush suspension of the trance. IMO being somewhat comfortable on a bike in a 24 hour race is more important than having the superlight race bike that fatigues your body quicker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.