mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Enduro Max pivot bearing replacements for Anthem X 29er

I have a two-month old Anthem X 29er (2012!) that's developed creaking and clicking from the lower suspension pivots. I'm almost 100% sure it's the bearings, since I've taken the linkages apart and several of them feel "rough", i.e. the races don't roll perfectly smoothly.

Has anyone ever replaced the pivot bearings on an Anthem X 29er? Any idea if they're the same sized bearings as the 26er?

I'm wondering if the kit labeled "ANTHEM X BEARING KIT, 2009+" will work for me:

Giant Suspension Pivot Bearing Kits from RWC

mtbr member
    Did u have any luck with that bearing set from enduro? My lower shock pivot just went and it seems like a common problem with the anthem. 2011 x1 29er

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wouldn't these pivots/bearings be covered by Giant's warranty?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Lower shock mount doesn't use a bearing; uses a large aluminum bolt.

mtbr member
    Thought it was a bolt with a bushing. If the bike is under a year old they will cover it. In his case they might but not mine. I kept getting play in the fork. Fore and aft flex and a slight clunk. Fox repaired it twice and then sent me a 2013 fork with kashima. After about 5 rides it came back. Now they say it's normal. I've felt about 10 other people's fox's and not one had it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMTBfreak View Post
    Lower shock mount doesn't use a bearing; uses a large aluminum bolt.
    Yeah you are right. Hollow AL bolt and 4 spacers. As far as the bearings go I am still curious if that enduro kit will fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Loose fork bushings make checking the headset bearings a PIA. Doesn't affect ride or handling. Mine are loose (bad from box), only time I can hear em is to apply front brake and rock bike back and forth. I'll get the bushings replaced one of these years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubz View Post
    Thought it was a bolt with a bushing. If the bike is under a year old they will cover it. In his case they might but not mine. I kept getting play in the fork. Fore and aft flex and a slight clunk. Fox repaired it twice and then sent me a 2013 fork with kashima. After about 5 rides it came back. Now they say it's normal. I've felt about 10 other people's fox's and not one had it.
    You've probably already checked this, but is your fork just loose in the frame? Mine was moving around a little and I just had to loosen the top cap and the stem bolts, move the fork around a little and them tighten everything back down. That solved my issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah you are right. Hollow AL bolt and 4 spacers. As far as the bearings go I am still curious if that enduro kit will fit.
    So how do I get the lower Shock out on the Anthem 29er frame, really struggling with mine doesnt look like I coule press it very easily with the shock bushing still in there?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    So how do I get the lower Shock out on the Anthem 29er frame, really struggling with mine doesnt look like I coule press it very easily with the shock bushing still in there?
    Pull the crank, remove the air from the shock (not completely necessary but might make it easier to remove. I did because I wanted to see how much resistance there was in the pivots with no air in the shock and the rebound/compression open) remove lower shock pivot bolt and 4 spacers, remove upper pivot bolt. Clean and grease, Reassemble in reverse with blue loctite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Pull the crank, remove the air from the shock (not completely necessary but might make it easier to remove. I did because I wanted to see how much resistance there was in the pivots with no air in the shock and the rebound/compression open) remove lower shock pivot bolt and 4 spacers, remove upper pivot bolt. Clean and grease, Reassemble in reverse with blue loctite.
    Thanks that part I must be missing is the spacers I dont even see those, I can get the bolt out on drive side not on the left (non-drive side)? Any more suggestions?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Thanks that part I must be missing is the spacers I dont even see those, I can get the bolt out on drive side not on the left (non-drive side)? Any more suggestions?
    Drive side is just a cap with threads right? I used an Allen wrench and just turned it and pulled it right out. There isn't anything else holding it in once you remove the drive side cap/nut. Unload the rear suspension too might take some tension off of the pin. Just remember when you remove it you separate the rear triangle from the frame. The spacers will fall out. Don't lose them like I almost did.

Inspector Gadget
    My trance x smoked the upper du bushing on the shock twice in about a couple months. If you pick up the bike and feel play or a clunk. Check the upper shock bushing for play. Good chance that is the problem. I did the RWC roller bearing conversion and it hasn't been a problem since.

Btw you can get the lower bolt out without removing the crank. Take off the large chainring and you should be able to reach the bolt. Undo the one side and tap it out. Shock needs to be discharged, just give a wiggle... It all binds slightly when loosened up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seewhatididther View Post
    You've probably already checked this, but is your fork just loose in the frame? Mine was moving around a little and I just had to loosen the top cap and the stem bolts, move the fork around a little and them tighten everything back down. That solved my issue.
    Yeah that was the first thing that I checked especially because it was new I just figured the headset was a little loose. No dice

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Will try this again in a couple of hours.I already the air out of the shock unloaded but basically it look like as long as I dont mess up threads I can just pound on it until it releases?

mtbr member
    There shall not be any pounding! Find someone to look at it for you. It should not be any where near that hard to remove. Does it turn with an Allen wrench? If not it may be seized for some reason. Beating it out is definitely a LAST resort. It's only aluminum