Thread: Dump or keep?

kneecap
    Dec 2003

Dump or keep?

I recently picked up an 08 reign O frameset with a Fox DHX 4.0 shock.
    Looks like only propedal adjustment is lots, or less?
    Are any of you using this shock & happy with it?
    Any setups or tuning hints appreciated

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    I recently picked up an 08 reign O frameset with a Fox DHX 4.0 shock.
    Looks like only propedal adjustment is lots, or less?
    Are any of you using this shock & happy with it?
    Any setups or tuning hints appreciated
    kneecap,
    I've bagged on the DHX Air on this site in the past on other bikes, but for some reason it seems to work really well on the Reign (X-in my case).
    I've been taking the approach of cranking up the ProPedal on climbs and then winding it back a bit on long descents. I can feel quite a bit of difference in the performance of the shock/bike with each adjustment with that shock.
    My guess is that you'll have to play around with the air settings and ProProdal a bit to get it dialed into a setting you like. Since you have the 4.0 you don't have the bottom out feature which is just one less thing to fiddle with.

I wouldn't give up on the shock just yet.

SLC

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Thanks SLC, I'm still building up the frame, so couple more q's if you have the time.
    This shock has an air valve on the main body, prob. straight forward settings?
    But how do I adjust what I think is the boost air valve under the piggyback fitting?

I'm a lightwt. 150 lbs. & basically an AM trail rider, no "big" drops :-)

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    Thanks SLC, I'm still building up the frame, so couple more q's if you have the time.
    This shock has an air valve on the main body, prob. straight forward settings?
    But how do I adjust what I think is the boost air valve under the piggyback fitting?

I'm a lightwt. 150 lbs. & basically an AM trail rider, no "big" drops :-)
    Well, if I'm thinking what your looking at, that second air valve on the piggy back is supposed to adjust the amount/feel of the shocks' ProPedal feature. There should be a min/max psi listed on the body of the piggy back. The more air you put in it, the firmer the ProPedal will feel. Less air, more plush.

I prefered a bit more psi in the piggy back as it gives the bike a bit more 'pop' when it's rebounding. But that's just personal preference. Like yourself, I'm not a hucker and normally pedal to the top of my descents.

Here's a great resource to get all the specs on your shock and see what everything does: http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...er/manuals.htm

Scroll down and find the year for your shock. It's illustrated and fairly easy to read and comprehend.

My best bit of advice is to ride out somewhere with a shock pump and just experiment for a bit. I wouldn't count on getting it to feel right the first time, so don't get frustrated if it takes you a minute.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Thanks again SLC,
    Good to know this shock may work after all, Fox site has most of what I need as you pointed out. I'll give it a shot.