mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Dropper post 2016

Hello.

Anybody got any info on new Giant 2016 dropper posts (lenght, price, install manual....)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    bump

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

bike rider
    For $20-$50 less I'd buy the Xfusion Hilo SL or Stealth.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I just testrode the new 150mm Giant dropper post on two different bikes. It worked flawlessly and made a reassuring impression on me. I think the new post is a great budget alternative to a 150mm KS LEV Integra. We had 3 X-fusion Hilo posts in our group too - all of them had their problems

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    2016 post no longer offset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Filby View Post
    2016 post no longer offset?
    As if it wasn't obvious enough but I still answer: The one mentioned above in this thread and in the link doesn't have any offset.

mtbr member
    I'm just changing mine from non-stealth mode to stealth mode by rotatking the cartridge upside down, but I cannot put upper dwo retaining bolts back in after it. anyone tried it ?
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz View Post
    I'm just changing mine from non-stealth mode to stealth mode by rotatking the cartridge upside down, but I cannot put upper dwo retaining bolts back in after it. anyone tried it ?
    read instructions in dealer book 2015 or visit local giant dealer to give you a hand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Anybody have any general tips for install. Just got a Trance...and just bought the current dropper for $250.

Saw a video someone posted....but it did not show the most important part for me...and that is fishing the cable thru the frame.

If anyone has done this yet...I hope there is nothing I need to take apart other than removing the seatpost. Anyone else have any experience with the Trance specifically?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Does anyone have a 125mm dropper? If so do you know what the minimum insertion length is?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have a 2016 Trance Advanced and was a bike shop mechanic for about 10 years. It appears to me you would have an extremely difficult time fishing the cable housing through the frame without removing the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    @danposs86, Minimum insertion for the 125mm dropper is 10cm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    read instructions in dealer book 2015 or visit local giant dealer to give you a hand.
    I did the same thing in 2015 seatpost, it was bit different and I did not encounter this problem with the old post.
    I 've manual to the 2016 mode too. Manual says one should be able to put the screws back in. but they don't fit IMO...
    I'm really not that rookie and have no time to visist dealer
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tflight View Post
    @danposs86, Minimum insertion for the 125mm dropper is 10cm.
    Ahh great, cheers for the reply. If it is 395mm in length, with a 125mm drop, guess that means with it dropped it is only 270mm. So with the 100mm minimum that would leave 170mm out top.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I have a 2016 Trance Advanced and was a bike shop mechanic for about 10 years. It appears to me you would have an extremely difficult time fishing the cable housing through the frame without removing the bottom bracket.
    you can use the little port on the down tube and get a calbe though pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes, but getting it passed the bottom bracket and up into the seat tube is the challenge.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Yes, but getting it passed the bottom bracket and up into the seat tube is the challenge.
    The way I did my gf with a giant post, and mine with a reverb is to go from the bottom of the Down tube up the seat tube, then use the same down tube port and and go to thhe upper down tube port.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't it be easier to do it the opposite way (from the post to the remote)?
    That's how I did the rear brake line on my Stevens and it was a piece of cake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    The way I did my gf with a giant post, and mine with a reverb is to go from the bottom of the Down tube up the seat tube, then use the same down tube port and and go to thhe upper down tube port.
    So you do this by removing the bottom bracket? I do not know how else you would be able to get this done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalbiker111 View Post
    So you do this by removing the bottom bracket? I do not know how else you would be able to get this done.
    yes you can. Others have done it before. You may need some special wire electricians are using to get around the bb the first time

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For a 395mm dropper, that is from the very bottom to the top of the clamp right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danposs86 View Post
    For a 395mm dropper, that is from the very bottom to the top of the clamp right?
    it's actually more in real world use as the cable exit on the bottom also needs some clearance or will otherwise collide with the rockerlink bearing inside the frame (take a look at a picture of the post to understand what I mean)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    they have 3 models of sizes what does someone use for the trance 3 large? Canadian online giant seems to say one size?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    it's actually more in real world use as the cable exit on the bottom also needs some clearance or will otherwise collide with the rockerlink bearing inside the frame (take a look at a picture of the post to understand what I mean)
    Went into a Giant shop and fitted a 150mm drop, just a bit too big so the 125mm should be perfect. Also running it external as I don't want to be drilling holes.

Will get pics and measurements for anyone who wants to know once it arrives.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luism View Post
    they have 3 models of sizes what does someone use for the trance 3 large? Canadian online giant seems to say one size?
    haha funny that depends on your seat height. I'm running a 150mm post in a large Trance 27.5 frame and have an inseam of 88cm

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by luism View Post
    My Trance Advanced medium came with the large (150mm) dropper. With the post as low in the frame as it would go and the dropper extended, the seat was too high. So I swapped for the medium dropper and it fits perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm interested into D measurement of Giant dropper 2016 (not 2015!) with 100mm of travel - look at http://kssuspension.com/wp-content/u...tegra-tech.pdf

Is that 220 mm or maybe less?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    2016 Giant Reign 2 came fitted with a 100mm giant Brand dropper. My first dropper and it is frickin sweet. I can make it perfect peddling height and lower it perfectly out of the way.

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    Should be 206.5mm, mbfree
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullyveldt View Post
    2016 Giant Reign 2 came fitted with a 100mm giant Brand dropper. My first dropper and it is frickin sweet. I can make it perfect peddling height and lower it perfectly out of the way.
    how big of bike?

I am would love to have the ability to run a 175 or even 200mm dropper on my bike. once 9.8 dropper is out I am going to give it a try.

mtbr member
    I got the 2016 post for my Trance.
    Mounted it today, but it was a pain in the ass.

It's the same reversible cartridge as older model, but when I reversed it, bolts couldn't engage the groove on the other side of the cartridge (the one that fixes on the saddle clamp).
    Seems like there was a small discrepancy in the dimensions and the that other part of the cartridge isn't identical to the one with the piston and release button.

I "fixed" it by tapping the bolts and lightly forcing them to engage the groove. After bit of manhandling, they went in fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What it cost u and what size trance? Large? What size dropper the 175m?

QUOTE=MarinCRO;12260190]I got the 2016 post for my Trance.

It's the same reversible cartridge as older model, but when I reversed it, bolts couldn't engage the groove on the other side of the cartridge (the one that fixes on the saddle clamp).
    Seems like there was a small discrepancy in the dimensions and the that other part of the cartridge isn't identical to the one with the piston and release button.

I "fixed" it by tapping the bolts and lightly forcing them to engage the groove. After bit of manhandling, they went in fine.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    I got the 2016 post for my Trance.

I "fixed" it by tapping the bolts and lightly forcing them to engage the groove. After bit of manhandling, they went in fine.
    had exactly the same problem, but did not manage to putem them in... so brute force worked ?
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz View Post
    had exactly the same problem, but did not manage to putem them in... so brute force worked ?
    Yea, you can't really break anything. Give it few taps with a plastic hammer or a screwdriver handle so that it engages. After screwing in the first one, second one will be easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Have any of you guys experienced vertical play in your posts?. I got the 440/150mm version and it has a little play (just a few mm). although unlike reverbs it's not sag. but if you lift the saddle it will knock.
    it wasn't like this new from the box or when first fitted but was after only a few raises/lowers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary. View Post
    Have any of you guys experienced vertical play in your posts?. I got the 440/150mm version and it has a little play (just a few mm). although unlike reverbs it's not sag. but if you lift the saddle it will knock.
    it wasn't like this new from the box or when first fitted but was after only a few raises/lowers.
    Just got a new 2016 125mm version and noticed it doing the same thing. Don't even have it mounted yet. It's a pretty small amount of movement and I don't think it will bother me, as long as it doesn't get worse with time. Similar in feel to the vertical "play" in my Gravity Dropper.

mtbr member
    So, I am trying to convert my new Contact Switch to internal routing and for the life of me, I cannot get the bottom cap off (the one that requires the 8mm hex) to flip the cartridge. Not really suprised...the hex hole on the cap was already pretty deformed from whoever put it together. Anyone else have this issue?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    It's a pretty small amount of movement and I don't think it will bother me, as long as it doesn't get worse with time.
    Mine hasn't got any worse... and in use it doesn't actually sag (like a reverb does) when weighted. The play is only present when the saddle is lifted so it doesn't bother me. the post also has less rotational play than all my reverbs did.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    Anyone else have this issue?
    The 8mm on my 2016 model is in good nick but it seems too tight. The manual that is supplied is obviously old/wrong, as the lower cap does not have the 2.5mm hex bolts. NFI where to go from here - top 2.5mm bolts removed, 8mm simply too tight to undo, it almost looks like it's impossible to convert this just due to being too tight/locktighted in. Am I missing something here? It's brand new.

edit: Actually I guess the 2.5mm bolts on the lower are once the lower cap is removed, but I just can't get it undone. Help please! More force?!?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    The 8mm on my 2016 model is in good nick but it seems too tight. The manual that is supplied is obviously old/wrong, as the lower cap does not have the 2.5mm hex bolts.
    I take that back. The 8mm needed more force (tool in a vice, two hands on the post), and the 2mm were then visible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    The 8mm on my 2016 model is in good nick but it seems too tight. The manual that is supplied is obviously old/wrong, as the lower cap does not have the 2.5mm hex bolts. NFI where to go from here - top 2.5mm bolts removed, 8mm simply too tight to undo, it almost looks like it's impossible to convert this just due to being too tight/locktighted in. Am I missing something here? It's brand new.

edit: Actually I guess the 2.5mm bolts on the lower are once the lower cap is removed, but I just can't get it undone. Help please! More force?!?!
    Ya, I managed to get mine off by using the clamp mechanism from my work stand and clamping it in a bench vise.

The post has been superb so far.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    mine seems to get tight often. have to take mine completely apart every couple months to re-grease. using poly-lube maybe that's the issue?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have had my "2016" 125mm since last November and so far no problems.
    Worked so well in fact, I got a 150mm for my other bike.
    I pack some bearing grease under the collar and so far no servicing has been necessary.
    Less setback than on the earlier version. The 2-bolt system is waaay better.

The cartridge which failed me on the older version has so far not given me any headaches. Although I now always leave the seatpost extended when not riding the bike.

/Allan
    2016 Giant Glory 2.
    2014 Giant Trance 29er with various modifications.
    2013 Giant XTC 29er Composite.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Warning - much rambling to follow:

I have been a KS fan since the first one came out with the lever under the seat. Then moved to the Lev (still have, but moved to my son's bike), and now have the Lev Integra on the Trance SX.

I sold the Contract dropper that came on my Trance without using it, but did swap it from internal routing to external for the person that bought it (really easy change).

The Lev Integra cable mount has not played nice with my Trance. Perhaps it is the tight bend at the bottom of the seat tube, but it required much more force to activate than my external Lev. I think the tight bend is what causes the failures through increased pressure on the cable actuation lever. When the Integra failed last week (third time on the cable attachment section in less than 2 yrs), I started looking for another post.

I was considering taking back my Lev from my son's bike, but that wouldn't be nice, so I looked online new and used. All the posts seem to still have issues, including the new batch of the higher end posts (Easton/RF/Fox/9Point8). After talking with a few bike shops in trying to get the Integra replacement parts and getting positive feedback on guys using the Giant Contact droppers, I decided to take the plunge.

We have a Giant store in Vancouver, so I dropped by and and picked up a 2016 Contract 150mm dropper. Wasn't sure if the extra length (from 125mm Integra to 150mm Contact) would be and issue, so I measured it out before and it looked like it should work or at least be pretty close.

Reversed the cartridge from external to internal (yes the 8mm to get the bottom assembly was really tight), and installed. I left in the internal cable housing from the Integra and got the new post installed in about 10 mins (didn't even finish the beer).

No rides yet, but very pleased. The extra 25mm drop means I can go from flat footed on the the ground to full climb height. The pressure to engage the dropper is way less than the Integra and on-par with the Lev. The new seat clamp assembly appears to be well designed and actually extends on the seat rails a little longer than the Lev clamp.

It seems that Giant has a very well thought out dropper post that comes in towards the bottom price range for current droppers. The only downside I can think of it that I believe it only comes in 30.9. Works for me but not for those with 31.6 seatposts.

Cheers