mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Doubting Giants Quality?

I am thinking about buying the NRS1. I am also going to look at the Iron Horse Hollowpoint and a few other bikes. I am afraid of purchasing the Giant because their prices seem to good to be true. Can any of you Giant owners give me some advice. Are Giants built to last? I do a couple of races each year but for the most part I am a weekend warrior. If I am going to spend $1800-2000.00 on a bike I expect it to be durable. Am I wrong in doubting Giants quality?

Thanks,
    Mr. A

mtbr member
    IN this case, I think that you can get a great deal with Giant becuase they are a HUGE manufacturer. I have to assume that they get great deals from their suppliers, which keeps prices down. The frames a put together very nicely and are finished well. I rode an NRS 1 for almost 3 years and if you want to go fast, that is a great ride. Also, Giant is great about standing behind their products.

XC rider/racer
    I certainly agree with Spongedog. Because Giant are such a HUGE bike manufacturer, they can use this to lever some great value out of their parts suppliers.

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I certainly agree with Spongedog. Because Giant are such a HUGE bike manufacturer, they can use this to lever some great value out of their parts suppliers.
    Agreed. My AC was/is an excellent value. Just like Iron Horses, Weyless and others.

Really if you think about the big picture mountain bikes are pretty expensive. You can have a brand new Honda CR450F for $5700 but a flipping bicycle costs $2000??? It just ain't right.

Chris

mtbr member
    Giant makes a solid bike, ive owned a couple Giants now and couldnt be happier. And there cheap!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks! I am going test riding today.

Mr. A

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Ummmm, IronHorses are made by Giant ya know...

so the quality of the one isn't going to be different from the other. Its all coming from the same factory (as are specialized frames, and quite a few other brands).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    so the quality of the one isn't going to be different from the other. Its all coming from the same factory (as are specialized frames, and quite a few other brands).

DeeEight,

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that about the Iron Horse. I just got back from test riding the Stumpjumper, Hollowpoint, Jamis Dakar XC and the NRS1.

The Jamis and NRS1 both matched my needs and riding style. The LBS made me ride the Stumpjumper just so I could notice a difference between that and the Jamis. The Hollowpoint was a nice ride but to damn heavy.

Plus my LBS has the NRS1 for $1794.00 and the sale ends this weekend.

I still want to check out Gary Fisher and Haro.

Mr. A

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson
    I am thinking about buying the NRS1. I am also going to look at the Iron Horse Hollowpoint and a few other bikes. I am afraid of purchasing the Giant because their prices seem to good to be true. Can any of you Giant owners give me some advice. Are Giants built to last? I do a couple of races each year but for the most part I am a weekend warrior. If I am going to spend $1800-2000.00 on a bike I expect it to be durable. Am I wrong in doubting Giants quality?

Thanks,
    Mr. A
    It's a fair question. I ride an 04 vt2 which has taken everything I can dish out without a whimper. My riding partner has an 04 NRS1 which like the vt has taken every thing without trouble. Both these bikes are close to a year old now - we had to order last year, since you couldn't get an 03 by the time we decided to buy. In the 9+ months we've riden them we have had zero mechanicals, lots of spills( ), and routine maintenance.

Buy the NRS! Have your dealer swap out the seatpost for a Thompson of the correct diameter(junk the shim)You will have less weight & the best post money can buy. You might consider swaping out the tires - I prefer Continentals to Hutchesons, but Steve has no complaints with his pythons. Other than those items race & ride - the bike will hold up.

Dave Sanford
    muddy & bloody, but still smile'n

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson
    DeeEight,

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that about the Iron Horse. I just got back from test riding the Stumpjumper, Hollowpoint, Jamis Dakar XC and the NRS1.

The Jamis and NRS1 both matched my needs and riding style. The LBS made me ride the Stumpjumper just so I could notice a difference between that and the Jamis. The Hollowpoint was a nice ride but to damn heavy.

Plus my LBS has the NRS1 for $1794.00 and the sale ends this weekend.

I still want to check out Gary Fisher and Haro.

Mr. A
    You asked about the frame durability on a 04 giant, if you are buying one in the states I'll tell you that Giant indroduced a lifetime warranty on all of their 04 frames, including all full-suspension bikes. So do not worry about the frame causing you any problems. And yes I have verified this with Giant, it is true lifetime on all bikes.

Reviewer/Tester

In Love..

I have a VT-2 that I am absolutely in love with.

I thrash the crap outta it, crash a lot, jump it off everything I can find and generally give it a hard time.

The bike..?? She just takes it all in stride and asks for more.

R.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sanford

Buy the NRS! Have your dealer swap out the seatpost for a Thompson of the correct diameter(junk the shim)You will have less weight & the best post money can buy. You might consider swaping out the tires - I prefer Continentals to Hutchesons, but Steve has no complaints with his pythons. Other than those items race & ride - the bike will hold up.

Dave Sanford
    muddy & bloody, but still smile'n
    Good point. All it took was one ride where I ended up riding seatpost to make the upgrade. Now I have the Thomson on my Hardtail with the Selle Italia Flite Gel Ti Rail Saddle.

"El Whatever"
    Giant makes bikes for a lot of other companies at their Taiwan factory.... so they can sell their own bikes really cheap. Another bang for the buck bike is the Jamis. They usually put on suspension that cost nearly half of the bike.

With Giant you just can't go wrong. Just find out the one you need.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Giant makes bikes for a lot of other companies at their Taiwan factory.... so they can sell their own bikes really cheap. Another bang for the buck bike is the Jamis. They usually put on suspension that cost nearly half of the bike.

With Giant you just can't go wrong. Just find out the one you need.
    I like the Jamis XC Expert. Both bikes are great as far as I am concerned. I can't really say which way I am leaning. Tomorrow I am going test riding again and hope to make a decision.

You don't happen to know the weight of a NRS1 do you? I checked Giants website and brochure and it wasn't mentioned.

Thanks,
    Mr. A