Motion activated

Does Giant Face the Headtube before assembling?

Does Giant face the Headtube before assembling? Specifically the Reign?
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Its has an internal headset doents need to be faced

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by gambo2166
    Its has an internal headset doents need to be faced

Are you sure? The top and bottom cups still have to sit flush on the head tube (and parallel to each other) so it would make sense to me that these contact points need to be faced to remove any paint etc. Or am I missing something

mtbr member
    Steve, you are correct, it really needs facing for a perfect fit.

If it has paint on the top and bottom of the head tube then it will not have been faced. If it's bare aluminium then it is pretty safe to assume it has been faced.

Some LBS's are starting to get the attachment for their facing tools now which allows them to face internal type head tubes as they become more and more common, most however are being slow on the take up and thus is hard to get this job done. If you own your own facing tool (specifically the park one) i know that they do an attachment. It's not cheap tho!

Hope that helps.

Smidge

ups and downs
    The Reign framesets were being shipped with the headsets installed, so you'd only have to install the crown race, the headtube prep would have been done when the headset was installed.

Motion activated
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm installing a hopy steering damper and to do this I have to place a bracket under the top cup. I realize that the HT *should* have been faced, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. I know the obvious way to find out is to remove the headset cups and take a look, but if I have to get it faced I'd rather just have a shop do the whole thing.

Anyway I'll report back when I know more.

ups and downs
    I don't think Hopey has a damper that is compatible with an integrated headsets, they have a 1.125" Aheadset and a 1.5" headset version. You definitely want to check that before taking everything apart.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    I don't think Hopey has a damper that is compatible with an integrated headsets, they have a 1.125" Aheadset and a 1.5" headset version. You definitely want to check that before taking everything apart.
    Fortunately, they now make brackets for both integrated and zero stack headsets.

Motion activated
    Well I got around to installing my Hopey the other day. Turns out that my Reign's head tube wasn't faced. I also had to take a dermel to the hopey bracket to get it to sit flush on the headtube as the welds from the HT TT junction get in the way.

I'm so glad to have the steering damper back on there. They have to be on of the most significant upgrades money can buy if your trails are dry, rocky and loose.