mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Do you like your VT? New bike time for me.

Looks like I will have $2000 to spend on a new bike next month. I'm looking at a Cannondale Jekyll 800, Spec Enduro Comp and Giant VT2. Did any of you compare these bikes, and how did you pick what you bought?
    I want a 5" travel bike for local XC trails, no jumps or anything crazy. I'm 6'4" and 260lbs and I want something smooth and dependable. Any input is appreciated!!

Reviewer/Tester
    I tried most everything here in Oz I could get my hands ..and backside on... before deciding on the VT-2 from Giant.

To me, the VT-2 offered the best value in a complete package and I loved the damn thing as soon as I rode it.

All the other bikes I tested were good, but I felt that the VT-2 suited me and what I wanted in an all-round all conditions mountain bike with plenty of suspension.

For the money, I don't think that you could go wrong. The overall package is superb.

R.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Like Raimman
    I tried a few bikes here in oz and got myself the vt3 , i know you are looking the 2 but so i can only vouch for the 3 , and it is awsomw bike , rides up and down very nicely .
    Last edited by dickyknee; 06-15-2004 at 05:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by He Hate Me
    Looks like I will have $2000 to spend on a new bike next month. I'm looking at a Cannondale Jekyll 800, Spec Enduro Comp and Giant VT2. Did any of you compare these bikes, and how did you pick what you bought?
    I want a 5" travel bike for local XC trails, no jumps or anything crazy. I'm 6'4" and 260lbs and I want something smooth and dependable. Any input is appreciated!!
    Been researching FS for 7months and all I can come up with overall is VT2
    I used to hate jumps and DH and like the climb, but now I can do anything rider

cheers

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I'm in the same boat, but wondering whether to get a dakar XLT 2:0 or a VT 2. Has anyone compared both of these?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have to say that the Jamis's do pack a whole lot of value, especially the xlt 1.0 with a minute one shock and swinger 3 way. The reason why i say the jamis packs a lot of value is that you can probably get an XLT 1.0 with a swinger 3-way and minute 1 fork for the same price as a VT3 with a swinger 3-way and black comp fork. i have personally not tried the Jamis but I'm loving the VT line and Giant also packs a great amount of value in their bikes as well.
    On a recent trail bike shootout on MBA magazine however, the Jamis ranked last and the VT ranked second out of the bikes they tested ^^
    If your stuck between these two bikes, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to buy the....i think it was the May addition of mountain bike action to see their comparisons of the bikes, its not to say the Jamis is not a great bike as well, if i remember correctly, the magazine said that it just required some minor changes to the stock bike that would, or could, make a big difference (such as stem length and cassette).

hope this helps ^^
    Last edited by Mr. VT; 06-22-2004 at 11:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    I'm in the same boat, but wondering whether to get a dakar XLT 2:0 or a VT 2. Has anyone compared both of these?
    I did same thing, looked into Dakar XLT 2.0 vs VT 2 at the same price.
    And according to Mags and Reviews, VT 2 is better, though Dakar 2.0 have better components.
    Personnally, I dont know how Dakar 2.0 feels like to ride, but I'm happy with my VT2.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Thanks both.
    Mr VT I have the last 12 months worth of both AMB and MBA mags and don't recall ever seeing a Jamis reviwed anywhere???
    I was talking to my bike shop guy today and he said he can't get any new giants in because the new model is due in 6-8 weeks. Someone else would probably have one in floor stock but i'll wait. (Hopefully the new model will have different tyers and the setpole sorted. )

mtbr member

I chose between the VT2, Jekyl 1000, and Liquid 55

The VT2 was the winner or should i say I was the winner! Really like the way the VT rides and handles. In addition, the VT series is a super value compared to the other two I was considering. The shop that had the Giants was the final deciding factor for me. Absolutely not regrets with my choice. Happpy Trails.............

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    Thanks both.
    Mr VT I have the last 12 months worth of both AMB and MBA mags and don't recall ever seeing a Jamis reviwed anywhere???
    I was talking to my bike shop guy today and he said he can't get any new giants in because the new model is due in 6-8 weeks. Someone else would probably have one in floor stock but i'll wait. (Hopefully the new model will have different tyers and the setpole sorted. )

hey, the trail bike shootout which included the Giant VT3 and the Jamis XLT 1.0 was in the June 2004 edition of Mountain Bike Action magazine, the front cover shows the new Honda downhill bike with the new Honda gear box and theres a smaller picture of 5 people on bikes for the trail bike shootout.

hope this helps!

mtbr member

Test rode a VT3 on dirt last weekend. Very nice.

I was quite impressed. The VT2 has some nice upgrades like hydraulic discs but is virtually the same as the VT3 so I can only say I liked the way it handled very much.

mtbr member
    As a previous Dakar owner let me tell you that the VT is a lot better bike. My Dakar cracked and sold the replacement in order to get a new frame. After the Dakar I almost got a Liquid 30 and lucky for me the seller had a ridiculous shipping charge and we agree on cancelling the bid (ebay), the next week I found a brand new '03 VT2 frame (ebay).

The difference between the Dakar and the VT2 is like comparing heaven and hell. The VT overall is a lot more bike than the Dakar IMHO.

The major difference between the Liquid and the VT (my last 2 choices) was that the Liquid relies on flex instead of bushings/bearings for rear triangle movement and saw/read too many complaints about broken frames on the contrary haven't heard about any broken VT so far.

My .02

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Ah, MBA stands for 'Mountain Bike Action'. I was thinking 'Mountain Biking Australia'. I must remember that this is an international forum! I actually bought the mag tonight and it is very helpful.
    Rev, you are right, the VT3 is very similar to the VT2. I had a look at one today. Hydro brakes are a big plus. Better components too.
    The fact that higher end components weigh less is more important to me than, for example, the efficientcy of a XT der. compared to an LX.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

VT2 is awesome!

Picked up my VT2 last weekend after much, much research and demo riding. To me nothing compares for the money (got mine for $1850.00). The geometry of this frame and overall components feel like it was custom made for me. I rode several bikes and none compared to the solid feel of the VT. I'm still learning how to properly tune the suspension, but I find myself looking for the gnarly stuff!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There are two issues to consider:
    First, assuming different shops, which shop is best, or if equal, you feel you can relate to the best? Even a great bike, like the VT, from a crappy non caring dealer can leave you frustrated. Chose your dealer first. If both are about equal, then...

Second, are you more of a classic xc rider (racer) or more of a mountain biker (just go and ride, 4-5-6 hours or more, lets have fun [agressive/extreme xc])? If you are pure xc, you might be happier with the dakar. As for me, I rode 6 hours Wednesday (my last weekday off for a long time), and 5 1/2 hours today. That means a VT2 and a happy rider.

Best of luck,

dave

digs bikes
    Jun 2004
    just bought a vt3, should be delivered tomorrow or the next day- waiting is the hardest part

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The VT soaks up stuff that used to rattle my teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by He Hate Me
    It is much plusher than my previous NRS or current Epic. I weigh close to 200lbs.