mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. Difference between VT 2003 and 2004 frame

Hello everybody (my first post !)

I would like to change my GT I-drive frame and get a VT 2003 (I could find a good deal).
    I eared quit good stuff about the 2004 frame, but not much about the 2003... Is it the same frame ? Same geometrie ? It is not clear at all on Giant website...

And by the way, would you think the VT is as good as the GT i-drive for freeriding ?

I even do DH competition with the GT and I wonder if the VT will be strong enough...

Thank you for your advises !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

VT much stronger and better for bombing than iDrive

Quote Originally Posted by ogazgaz

I would like to change my GT I-drive frame and get a VT 2003 (I could find a good deal).
    I eared quit good stuff about the 2004 frame, but not much about the 2003... Is it the same frame ? Same geometrie ? It is not clear at all on Giant website...

And by the way, would you think the VT is as good as the GT i-drive for freeriding ?

I even do DH competition with the GT and I wonder if the VT will be strong enough...

I'm surprised you haven't cracked your iDrives seat support, if you've been downhilling. The iDrive is not as tough as the VT and only has about 2/3rds the travel (3.75 vs. 5.75".)

Having said that, the VT is more of a trailsbike frame....tougher than XC but not meant for heavy freeriding or downhilling. The AC is Giant's freeride bike and the DH is their downhiller. The VT comes with 5" of fork travel, the AC 6 inches and the DH 7.

The '04 VT got a stiffer rear suspension and larger bushings. The VT is tough but some people experienced bushing failures with the '03....hence the improvement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the 04 rear shock is stiffer than the 03 rear shock? hmm so the swinger 3-way shock on the 04 VT is stiffer than the swinger 4 way on the 03 VT?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lateral stiffness.....not shock stiffness

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    the 04 rear shock is stiffer than the 03 rear shock? hmm so the swinger 3-way shock on the 04 VT is stiffer than the swinger 4 way on the 03 VT?
    The rear should flex a little less under side load.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The 04 VT has a stiffer likage than the 03. The swinger 3 way on the 04 lacks the SPV volume adjustment of the 4 way on the 03, but this "progressivity" can be adjusted with the two mounting wholes on the linkage, so is somewhat redundant. If freeriding and DH is what you like to do then the AC is a better frame. Make no mistake the VT is a tough frame, but my VY is 28.5 lbs. not the 32+ that most FR/DH weigh. All I can say, if you choose do ride any frame harder than it is designed, don't go crying to your dealer with some BS JRA story about your frame just didn't hold up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle
    The 04 VT has a stiffer likage than the 03. The swinger 3 way on the 04 lacks the SPV volume adjustment of the 4 way on the 03, but this "progressivity" can be adjusted with the two mounting wholes on the linkage, so is somewhat redundant. If freeriding and DH is what you like to do then the AC is a better frame. Make no mistake the VT is a tough frame, but my VY is 28.5 lbs. not the 32+ that most FR/DH weigh. All I can say, if you choose do ride any frame harder than it is designed, don't go crying to your dealer with some BS JRA story about your frame just didn't hold up.

hey whats your VT's spec to get it down to 28.5 lbs?

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    I'm surprised you haven't cracked your iDrives seat support, if you've been downhilling. The iDrive is not as tough as the VT and only has about 2/3rds the travel (3.75 vs. 5.75".)

Having said that, the VT is more of a trailsbike frame....tougher than XC but not meant for heavy freeriding or downhilling.
    FWIW, my '00 I-drive had 4.6" travel. It was a trailbike, and with that much travel years ahead of its time IMO. It held up to 2 years of Clydesdale XC with no problems.

I think the VT fits the same category as the I-dive did, but obviously a few years evolved. I wouldn't do anything more on a VT than I did on my I-drive however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Rides like wrecking ball
    hey whats your VT's spec to get it down to 28.5 lbs?
    Considering the claimed weight of the '04 VT1 is 26.5 pounds, it's safe to say that a real-world, bone-stock weight could be 28.5 pounds. I wouldn't know for sure as we only have a VT2 in stock and it's over 30#.
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    oh wow, i didn't know the 2004 VT1 claimed weight is so light! thats pretty amazing actually!

Rides like wrecking ball
    oh wow, i didn't know the 2004 VT1 claimed weight is so light! thats pretty amazing actually!
    Pretty sure my rep told me they lightened the '04 frame up some, plus it's basically straight XC parts on a trailbike frame, some too light IMO. I think CrossMax SL's (last year was CrossMax XL's) on a 5-6" bike sold to Clydesdale XC riders who want to explore more aggressive lines from time to time is foolish and done just for weight savings personally, but my "trailbike" weighs 35 pounds and would beat a VT up and take its lunch money lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

03 vs 04 differences

I've had my 04 VT-2 for about 9 months, but I've never ridden (besides a quick test ride) the 03 model so I'm taking Giant's word on some of this:

-Supposedly Giant stiffened up the rear linkages for 04. It's still not going to be mistaken for a quad bearing Ventana though.

-This is not mentioned anywhere on the website, but they also changed the seat tube angle to make the bike pedal better. The Giant rep told me they went from around 72 to 73.5. Haven't measured it, but the bike does pedal great.

-DH on a VT? You didn't say how large you are, but I don't think think the VT would be a good choice for a steady diet of DH or heavy FR. I see the bike as a long travel XC or very light FR, a role it does very well. If you're looking for something to take a lot of abuse the AC is probably more you cup of tea.

-Finally for the weight. I hear a lot of claims on the VT, but I've seen them weighed at three different shops. Not on a digital scale, but on somehing pretty reliable. I'm talking about bikes with pedals, air in the tires and ready to be ridden. The 04 VT-1 is right around 28.5 - 29 pounds depending on frame size and the VT-2 is about 1.5 pounds more. My 18.5" 04 VT-2 is just over 30 pounds, give or take a couple of ounces. It climbs GREAT for a bike that heavy, and doesn't feel ponderous, but it's still not a light XC bike. For what it's worth I've seen the NRS-1 weighed at several shops and THAT bikes over 28 pounds as well.

mtbr remember
    Were you measuring that NRS on an offset fishing scale (makes fish look heavier)? Just kidding, my NRS(med) weighs just over 28lbs too, but thats with Crankbros Mallet platforms and a Salsa chainring guard! Not too bad, I am not an ounce counter (like when it comes to ultralight backpacking) so I could care less.