Gig'em Aggies!

Difference between Trance X and Anthem X

I see a lot of people recommending the Trance X for general purpose all mountain / trail riding. Why not the Anthem X? The Trance X2 and the Anthem X2 are about the same price, same with the X3's. What are the main differences and why would you prefer the Trance over the Anthem?

Yung Wun Ho!!
    It all depends on the types of trails u ride..Singletrack, Tech Singletrack, Cross Country, or maybe alittle racing here and there..The trance is more of a go everywhere do everything full suspension..Ive seen riders on here use them on pretty much any terrain Bike parks, Tech Singles, and even alittle downhill here and there..Its good going up and down..The anthem to me is more of a cross country racer full suspension. It doesnt offer as much travel front and rear like the trance..I believe the trance has a 120mm front fork and a rear travel of 5 inches while the anthem has 100mm of front travel with 4 inches of rear travel..The trance will handle to rougher stuff and jumps..But I imagine the anthem is a very nimble bike and can be moved around on tech trails very well. Both are great choices If I could get an anthem I would but Im saving to add a glory to the stable..So I guess it all depends on what your doing with the bike..Tho this anthem in person is uber-sexy!

08 Giant Rincon:Bontrager, Azonic, Avid
    09 Giant Trance X3:Worth as much as a used car now
    08 Giant Reign X1 Build:Fox,Avid

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'd add that the Trance should be a bit stronger than the Anthem, which is meant to be a race bike/trail bike and therefore as light as possible. If you're not seriously racing, why wouldn't you go for the Trance?

Gig'em Aggies!
    Thanks for the input. I am looking at the Trance X and possible the Reign X, but was just wondering about the Anthem. Thanks for the assistance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24
    I'd add that the Trance should be a bit stronger than the Anthem, which is meant to be a race bike/trail bike and therefore as light as possible. If you're not seriously racing, why wouldn't you go for the Trance?
    That's pretty much my opinion too
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    The biggest thing between those bikes is the amount of travel they have in the suspension, followed by geometry.

The Anthem X is a 4-inch, climbing rocket. It can descend fairly well, better than a hardtail anyway, but it's not it's strong point. It's going to have a steeper head angle, and probably shorter chainstays, making it climb better. It's also going to be a lighter frame and probably a lighter build in component spec.

The Trance X is a 5-inch, trail, all mountain, do-it-all bike. It can climb as well as it can descend. You could race it XC if you wanted, or turn around and do some light DH on it. It'd be great for Super D type racing. It's going to be built a little bit stronger, but heavier because of it. You could make it lighter if you wanted, or you could make it stronger, either way, it's a fun bike. It's very comfortable for all day epic rides while the Anthem X seems to be a little more stretched out in the top tube and feels a little less comfy for all day rides. Some might want to do it, I'd rather have the Trance X though.

I have ridden both bikes, raced both in some local XC stuff. They're both great bikes, and you can't go wrong, but if I'm gonna go out and hit up the local trails with some buddies just to have fun, I'm gonna take the Trance. If I'm gonna go out and try to do some race, I'm gonna take the Anthem.

Older & Slower
    I bought my Anthem X2 to replace a fairly new Heckler because I'm getting into 8/12/24 hour solo races.