mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Difference between 2011 Reign and Reign X frame?

I'm wondering if the frame is essentially the same save the thru axle in the rear and the iscg tabs? I'm assuming they used the same main frame and added a slightly longer shock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i think very similar....but not the same. they dont use the same frame or linkages etc...
    to the best of my knowledge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, I wonder if they used a lighter gauge tubeset or what. Just curious about durability on these frames. Haven't read anything negative yet about frame breakage or anything along those lines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    AFAIK they're different in design. Within the same size, Reign frame is more compact than Reign X frame. Reign design is fresher than Reign X, too. In 2013 they should change the Reign X design. Reign frame should be lighter, if you look closely there are holes in the lower part of it and Reign X don't have these.

Slower But Faster
    While the superficial look is very similar, the geometry is slacker on the X as well as almost every dimension.

Have a look on the Giant website for a comparison.

Reign 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

Reign X 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The frames are different, both in geometry and tubing.

I owned a 2011 Reign 1 and it was warrantied for a 2012 X1. The aluminum tubing of the frame is hydroformed differently between the two. The Reign X has more angles to the tube (more polygonal), while the regular reign is more circular at its circumference. This is especially evident in the rear triangle, where the reign X's tubing is much more rectangular than the regular reign. I do not know how much the weight difference is as I haven't weighed either, but I am sure the X1 is a bit heavier, but not by much.

Edit- changed diameter to circumference-- apparently i should have failed math in middle school.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Why the warranty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The warranty was for what I believe was a misaligned rear triangle or rear triangle mounting holes. I honestly think it was a one-off with the particular frame i received. I can give more specifics if you want to PM me, but I dont want to dilute the thread or fuel anyone's paranoias.

Giant and my local Giant rep were awesome through the whole process and covered all of my costs. I am very happy with the new X1. The build is a little heavier, but I like the ride much better with the bike speced out more aggressively. The the rear triangle is also much stiffer on the X1 because of the maxxle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Resurrecting this thread from the dead.
    Does anyone thing a 2011 Reign can accept a rear triangle from a 2012-2013 reign x or perhaps from a 2013-2014 trance, trance x 650b?
    The purpose for asking is that i want to convert my 2011 reign 2 to 650b but still having enough room to install a 2.35"-2.4" tyre and also having a maxle back there.
    Last edited by antdiam; 02-16-2014 at 09:05 AM.