Quiet Professional

DHX 5.0 for 2011 reign?

Can get a heck of a discount on this shock and wondering how it would be for 300.00 upgrade. It is new old stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What is on the bike now, a RP2 or RP23? Not certain the DHX5 is that much of an upgrade. I only road one on a rental 2010 Reign in Moab. It was ok but not great.

The Monarch Plus RC3 is an upgrade over the RP2 or RP23, but even better is the X-Fusion Vector Air HLR, works great on the Reign. What kind of terrain are you riding? The Monarch is a nice shock that works well on Reign for trail riding, for more aggressive terrain the Vector is fantastic.

Both shock would be north of $300, so if that is the budget you might want to consider a Push or similar type tune or a inexpensive coil shock (others on this board seem to really like coils on the Reign).

If I had $300 to spend I would purchase a dropper post, if you don't have one, over a DHX-5 as an upgrade for a Reign.

Quiet Professional

Re: DHX 5.0 for 2011 reign?

Cant ride coil as i cant get one large enough. Cant find a vector air or a rc3 plus anywhere near the 300.00 mark. I am 280 and 3:1 leverage they just dont make the coil as with air i can run 270 to 285 psi. Rp2 is on it now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    To be honest, the DHX air sucks on the Reign. I swapped mine out for a Van-R coil.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    To be honest, the DHX air sucks on the Reign.
    I ran a Monarch RT3 on my Trance-X for a good long while - worlds better than the RP23 on it before.

Ran the stock DHX-A on my Reign-X for a while. The Vivid Air that replaced it is worlds better.

If ou're looking to kep it budget air, the Rock Shox stuff is worlds better than the Fox air stuff. Just my opinion.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

MTB B'dos
    I've a DHXA on my Prime, I weigh between 175-195lbs geared to ride and can't say I've been impressed with it, lots of mid stroke wallow, although after finding out how easy they are to go into and now finding some shims, I'm looking forward to messing with the shim stack to see if I can help improve its performance. Like others have said, much better off with something else like the X-Fusion Vector AIR or Monarch PLUS. I'd save the $$ towards one of those or if you like tinkering get the DHXA and have at it if you can find some shims and can figure it out. Only real plus it might have over your current shock is the bottom out/boost valve features, which I guess is why you're looking at it at your weight. I'd check out used, could probably find something for your $300 that would work better.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics