mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Detecting a Broken XTC Composite Frame

For about a month now half way through my 1.5 hour ride I get a intermittent noise when I apply pedal force while climbing. It's a 2012 Giant XTC composite hardtail. I have cleaned it checked every bolt, inspected the chain and looked for every possible issue and still can't find the problem. I took it to my LBS and they have went through it twice, pulled the cassette, cleaned the rear hub, pulled the cranks re set and lubed the BB, re packed the headset and checked all the spokes. Still can't get rid of it. If this was an alloy bike I'd say it was a broken frame but there are no cracks visible on the outside of the frame. Could something be cracked internally? This is my first carbon MTB and I have ridden a carbon road bike for years and no issues. What does a broken carbon frame sound like? Does Giant have any metal inserts in their frames? You can feel this noise all through the frame when it happens. It doesn't make it all the time. Any ideas? I'm perplexed and I do not want to be out and the frame fails. Let me know, I need some help. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Try putting a wheel in from a fellow rider, it will exclude the wheel-freehub-cassette part out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have you tried the seatpost/seatclamp? Seatpost noise does sounds like it is comming form pedaling force/drivetrain. Get the seatpost out (aftermarking the heigth!), clean both the inside of the frame and the post, relube with alu suitable lube in case of an alu post and with carbonpast for carbon post. Also try to clean the saddle rails and clamping mechanisme. After cleaning all parts, tighten als parts back with the right amount of Nm!Have you tried the seatpost/seatclamp? Seatpost noise does sounds like it is comming form pedaling force/drivetrain. Get the seatpost out (aftermarking the heigth!), clean both the inside of the frame and the post, relube with alu suitable lube in case of an alu post and with carbonpast for carbon post. Also try to clean the saddle rails and clamping mechanisme. After cleaning all parts, tighten als parts back with the right amount of Nm!

For the frame, you can check the carbon frame visualy by using a torch light and look for any cracks. Don't mix carbonfibre lay-up for cracks!