mtbr member

Derrailleur Hanger

I need to replace the hanger on a Trance X. Anybody bent one yet? I snapped my chain and it bent the hanger, is this common? First for me.... anyway where is the best source to order this online? And is there an aftermarket that anyone can recommend?

Slower But Faster
    The great thing about Giant bikes is that, apart from the Glory series, all the bikes from the XTC hardtail through to the Reign X, use the same hanger. You can pick them up from any Giant dealer for not too much. It's such a small part that if you phone your local Giant dealer they could probably just mail it out to you using standard post rather than a courier.

mtbr member
    all the bikes from the XTC hardtail through to the Reign X, use the same hanger
    BrentD - Not any more. Trance X has different der.hanger. My Giant dealer told me today, that it would be available in mid july. So guys be careful!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The"X" hanger fits on the inside of the rear dropout, the other Giant hangers won't work. I'm not impressed that Giant will sell me a bike for 2 grand without having a stock of replacement hangers available.

I have checked with 4 shops in Toronto with no luck, and it is not available on derailleurhanger.com. I trashed a hanger on my hardtail a couple of weeks back and luckily had a spare or I would have had the pleasure of lugging my bike through 7 kilometers of mosquito infested woods.

Dirthugger, if your hanger is not mangled too badly it can be straightened by your LBS, or you can give it a try yourself. I've straightened a couple with an adjustable wrench. Leave the hanger on the frame, slip the adjustable on the bottom, tighten the jaws and gently apply some pressure. If it breaks you're out of luck. If it works you will likely have to set up the derailleur limit screws and indexing again. Alternately, try this link http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

mtbr member
    Jump, that is exactly what I did placed the hanger on a vice and straightened it best i can with an adjustable wrench. But still not 100% straight, I was able to adjust the RD but its not quite right. And Im afraid the hanger might snap the next time.
    Tonight I was able to pick up 2 hanger at my lbs.

Kobayashi, thanks for the heads up I will install tomorrow and let you know if it works I will give you the part number indicated on the wrapper.

Eric at ITSA Bike Shop
    Sep 2007
    not sure who told you guys that the Hanger's would be available mid-July. We already have a run of them at the shop.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by kobayashi
    BrentD - Not any more. Trance X has different der.hanger. My Giant dealer told me today, that it would be available in mid july. So guys be careful!
    Must be something new for the '08 bikes. Thanks for the heads up. A bit of a dumb move by Giant IMHO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ewiccami
    not sure who told you guys that the Hanger's would be available mid-July. We already have a run of them at the shop.
    The last local dealer I talked to told me he had put in an order a while back and has received the standard Giant hangers but the "X" version has not been delivered. It could be a problem with the distributor in my area.
    Not sure why Giant felt the need to introduce a new part though, the one hanger system seems like a good plan.