mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Derailleur hanger?

So I finally found the weak spot of my AC... Road rides! I did the "Bike the Drive" here in Chicago this AM (30 miles on Lake Shore Drive) and wow... not so great. I love it everywhere else though. I'm trying to find a garage sale roadie now for the local road rides though.

Anyway, since build up, I'd been having trouble with ghost shifting. I have the new Sram drivetrain stuff, and Sram had a booth there, so I had the dude check it out. Turns out I'm not such a great mechanic (oh well) but he mentioned that my hanger was bent. I mentioned that I had shifted into the spokes previously (despite setting the limit screw according to the directions), and he thought that would be enough force to bend the hanger. Anyone else had this happen?

Also, I'm now looking for a new hanger. I've found plenty of hangers but none specifically for the AC... are they universal for Giant MTBs?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Same Hanger

I have a Giant NRS an recently had to get a new hanger. It is the same hanger for all Giant mountain bikes from 1998-2004 (regardless of the mountain model). It was $15 at my local Giant dealer